Talk

Advanced search

Summer Book Swap?

(403 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Thu 24-May-18 16:11:54

Following on from the chat about blind dates with books, speak up here if you fancy doing a book swap.

Chewbecca Fri 01-Jun-18 20:37:18

Is it too late to add one more please? Love being prompted to read something different/new.
and love an excuse to eat chocolate

Fizzywinegum Fri 01-Jun-18 20:40:03

Yes to chocolate!

CherryBlossom23 Fri 01-Jun-18 22:23:19

Ah okay, yes then sign me up please if its not too late. Also yes to chocolate! smile

diamantegal Fri 01-Jun-18 22:57:29

Don't do chocolate myself but have an 8 year-old DS who will happily take one for the team! So yes, why not?

<Continues staring at bookshelves to work out what to send>

iloveredwine Fri 01-Jun-18 23:01:19

yes to chocolate

JustfortheHalibut Fri 01-Jun-18 23:30:37

If it's not too late please add me to the list. I read a lot but have never found a way to be part of a 'regular' book group due to work and other stuff.

Agree with no 'misery lit' though. It's supposedly Summer - would love to read things that are uplifting and thought-provoking!

tobee Sat 02-Jun-18 00:54:30

Can't think of any taboo subjects!

Yes to chocolate- ssshh don't tell anyone.

lilywhiterosegirl Sun 03-Jun-18 16:44:59

Am I still too late to apply?! Love reading, but no worries if so, I know there has to be a definitive cut off point (also- for what it’s worth, yes to chocolate... a book, chocolate bar and a glass of wine is the absolute combo!)

Etihad Sun 03-Jun-18 17:01:25

I'd also like to join if not too late please

diamantegal Sun 03-Jun-18 23:05:52

I make that 15 people - we'll be going for over a year if we keep it up! And lily completely agree on the glass of wine front, but not sure that will fit so well in the post...

aleysha Mon 04-Jun-18 15:19:50

I would like to Join too

yaela123 Mon 04-Jun-18 20:47:49

It is probably too late but if not I would love to join although I'm sure I will be judged for my bad choices

tobee Tue 05-Jun-18 20:09:00

I think we're all going to feel about like that about our choices @yaela123

Queenie72 Tue 05-Jun-18 20:12:31

Me too if not too late , and yes to chocolate too - fab idea

MyGastIsFlabbered Tue 05-Jun-18 20:47:29

If it's not too late I'd love to join in

iloveredwine Wed 06-Jun-18 07:56:01

when are we going to start it? the 1st of next month? gives me time to find a suitable book!

KeithLeMonde Wed 06-Jun-18 14:39:07

Sorry everyone, been awol for a few days .

We now have 19 people interested. I'm very happy to say yes to everyone but split into two circles of 9-10 each as I don't think we will realistically keep a swap going for over a year and a half.

Sounds like a yes to chocolate, and no taboos other than keeping clear of misery/abuse books.

I'm going to PM everyone who's expressed interest so please keep an eye on your inbox. I know it's a bit of a wait until the end of the month but I think that would be the ideal time to post off our books - I should have planned the timing a bit better when I originally posted!

KeithLeMonde Wed 06-Jun-18 15:12:49

PMs sent to:

@tobee
@falgelednl
@BadTasteFlump
@diamantegal
@rosehiphoney
@fizzywinegum
@iloveredwine
@justcheese
@heismyopendoor
@chewbecca
@cherryblossom23
@justforthehalibut
@lilywhiterosegirl
@etihad
@aleysha
@yaela123
@queenie72
@mygastisflabbered

If I've missed anyone then please shout!

KeithLeMonde Wed 06-Jun-18 16:05:12

Oh one other thing we will need is a name - or two names! Recent names have been Reading Between the Wines, A Novel Idea, Tequila Mockingbird

I am rubbish at thinking up names but I know that if someone goes first then other people will jump in with other, far superior, ideas. So I am getting the ball rolling with

Summer Readin'
Gin and Tolstoy
Death by Choco-Lit

clairethewitch70 Wed 06-Jun-18 16:08:03

Is it too late to join?

yaela123 Wed 06-Jun-18 16:13:09

I'm rubbish at names too - those aren't too bad, my favourite is the choco one.

Two circles sounds good and more realistic - more organising for you though! Thank you for doing this btw

Fizzywinegum Wed 06-Jun-18 18:29:01

I like death by choco - lit.

Thanks for organising this Keith - need to have a think about my book choice now.

lilywhiterosegirl Wed 06-Jun-18 18:32:21

Also a fan of Death by Choco-lit but all the suggestions are great! Thanks for organising it, I’m excited already to see what everyone chooses.

Regarding the no misery/abuse requirement, does this mean no misery memoirs or no novels with themes of misery/ abuse? Just realising how dark a lot of the fiction I read actually is... not sure what this says about me hmm

tobee Wed 06-Jun-18 18:58:55

Thanks for doing this Keith. Are there any restrictions on choc allergy etc wise or will you let us know individually?

KeithLeMonde Wed 06-Jun-18 19:58:08

@clairethewitch70 not too late, I think if we break the groups into two I can squeeze another couple of people in smile I will PM you now.

@lilywhiterosegirl, personally I would say no misery memoirs and no books where abuse is a main theme. Hope that doesn't rule out too many!

@tobee, hopefully PM has reached you - I've asked everyone to let me know of any no-nos for chocolate (dislikes or allergies) and will pass them on along with the posting details where appropriate smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »