Talk

Advanced search

Summer Book Swap?

(403 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Thu 24-May-18 16:11:54

Following on from the chat about blind dates with books, speak up here if you fancy doing a book swap.

tobee Thu 24-May-18 17:16:20

Me!

tobee Thu 24-May-18 17:19:19

Do people do a review or anything? Or not because of anonymity presumably?

KeithLeMonde Thu 24-May-18 17:21:35

In our last group, people wrote their MN username inside the book. That meant that we could discuss each others' books without knowing anyone's real name apart from the person to whom we were posting smile

falgelednl Thu 24-May-18 17:23:14

Can I join in please?

BadTasteFlump Thu 24-May-18 17:26:30

Ooh yes count me in please smile

KeithLeMonde Thu 24-May-18 18:54:55

Welcome smile

tobee Thu 24-May-18 22:24:59

Ooh, can we re-advertise this elsewhere as well, please? I don't think to look on this board very often and only did coz of the link.

KeithLeMonde Fri 25-May-18 06:49:15

Yes of course smile I was meaning to put it onto the 50 book thread but feel free to mention elsewhere. I'll wait a few days for people to express interest then get the ball rolling smile

KeithLeMonde Fri 25-May-18 06:53:32

Here's what I posted on the other thread about how it works:

Basically, someone offers to organise it. They recruit a number of others. Everyone sends their real name and address to the organiser who has to submit a GDPR compliant privacy notice who obviously has to be discreet and decent enough never to share. The group agree a few ground rules - no misery lit was one I remember from our last swap.

Organiser shuffles the names about at random and PMs each person to tell them who they will be sending to. Each person chooses a book that they love/find interesting/want to get rid of and posts it off on a designated day (usually once a month). If the group choose, they may also include a small bar of chocolate smile When swap day comes around again, you send on the book that's in your possession to the next person until everyone's read everything.

It takes a bit of admin but if it works then you get a parcel every month containing a random book endorsed by a fellow MN-er - often something interesting and quite different to what you might have picked up yourself. And we have a thread on the Book Swap page so we can talk about the books.

diamantegal Sat 26-May-18 00:38:17

Count me in - I want to read most of the books recommended on the 50 books thread so hopefully some of those will be sent round!

RosehipHoney Sun 27-May-18 22:32:36

I'm in!

Fizzywinegum Tue 29-May-18 14:43:13

Can I join please? Think this is a lovely idea - what do I need to do?

iloveredwine Tue 29-May-18 14:45:20

me too please I was on the last one

justcheese Wed 30-May-18 13:59:08

Count me in please!! Lovely idea!

KeithLeMonde Thu 31-May-18 10:55:04

OK so far I have

@tobee
@falgelednl
@BadTasteFlump
@diamantegal
@rosehiphoney
@fizzywinegum
@iloveredwine
@justcheese

Anyone else want to join before I embark on the admin of getting the group going? smile

diamantegal Thu 31-May-18 16:56:43

Hmm, now the pressure of deciding which book to send round, knowing that I will be forever judged by my poor literary choices.... grin

Heismyopendoor Thu 31-May-18 17:00:39

Yes I’d be up for this smile

BadTasteFlump Thu 31-May-18 17:30:33

Well I'm (still) in please - I just wanted to check if it matters if none of my books are very - how to put it - 'high brow'?

diamantegal Thu 31-May-18 22:57:24

BadTaste (and maybe the name says it all!) I'm fine with whatever. I guess the idea is to get a mix and if every book is a literary classic it'll just be too much hard work. I'm happy to read whatever I'm sent - can't guarantee I like it, but it'll be interesting to try something I wouldn't normally choose.

iloveredwine Fri 01-Jun-18 17:13:16

sounds good!

KeithLeMonde Fri 01-Jun-18 17:52:16

@heismyopendoor welcome smile

And yes, choice of book is up to you. Can I ask if anyone wants to absolutely veto any particular type of book? It seems to work best if we're open minded (so I don't normally read fantasy, for example, but if someone sends one my way it would be interesting to give it a try) but if anyone has reasons to want to avoid any particular content (I am thinking misery memoirs for example, or books that contain abuse scenes) then please do speak up - I think that's entirely reasonable. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer and I can post here on your behalf.

The only other thing I would suggest is that we avoid books that others are likely to have read, so either real classics like Pride and Prejudice or super-popular books like Gone Girl. Other than that, choose something interesting, funny, quirky, thought-provoking, whatever really smile

Oh, and one other thing - please can you post below and vote yes or no as to whether we should include a small bar of chocolate (or similar) when sending the books to one another?

CherryBlossom23 Fri 01-Jun-18 18:12:53

Can I just double check before signing up - we each send a book once a month, not just as a once off? And then read and discuss during the month?

justcheese Fri 01-Jun-18 20:00:03

Yes to chocolate!

KeithLeMonde Fri 01-Jun-18 20:32:16

Hi Cherry. We each choose one book. On the first month you send your book to the next person, and receive a book from the person before you. On month two, you send on the book that you received, and get another one. So we're passing them round in a circle . Hope that makes sense!

Chewbecca Fri 01-Jun-18 20:37:18

Is it too late to add one more please? Love being prompted to read something different/new.
and love an excuse to eat chocolate

Fizzywinegum Fri 01-Jun-18 20:40:03

Yes to chocolate!

CherryBlossom23 Fri 01-Jun-18 22:23:19

Ah okay, yes then sign me up please if its not too late. Also yes to chocolate! smile

diamantegal Fri 01-Jun-18 22:57:29

Don't do chocolate myself but have an 8 year-old DS who will happily take one for the team! So yes, why not?

<Continues staring at bookshelves to work out what to send>

iloveredwine Fri 01-Jun-18 23:01:19

yes to chocolate

JustfortheHalibut Fri 01-Jun-18 23:30:37

If it's not too late please add me to the list. I read a lot but have never found a way to be part of a 'regular' book group due to work and other stuff.

Agree with no 'misery lit' though. It's supposedly Summer - would love to read things that are uplifting and thought-provoking!

tobee Sat 02-Jun-18 00:54:30

Can't think of any taboo subjects!

Yes to chocolate- ssshh don't tell anyone.

lilywhiterosegirl Sun 03-Jun-18 16:44:59

Am I still too late to apply?! Love reading, but no worries if so, I know there has to be a definitive cut off point (also- for what it’s worth, yes to chocolate... a book, chocolate bar and a glass of wine is the absolute combo!)

Etihad Sun 03-Jun-18 17:01:25

I'd also like to join if not too late please

diamantegal Sun 03-Jun-18 23:05:52

I make that 15 people - we'll be going for over a year if we keep it up! And lily completely agree on the glass of wine front, but not sure that will fit so well in the post...

aleysha Mon 04-Jun-18 15:19:50

I would like to Join too

yaela123 Mon 04-Jun-18 20:47:49

It is probably too late but if not I would love to join although I'm sure I will be judged for my bad choices

tobee Tue 05-Jun-18 20:09:00

I think we're all going to feel about like that about our choices @yaela123

Queenie72 Tue 05-Jun-18 20:12:31

Me too if not too late , and yes to chocolate too - fab idea

MyGastIsFlabbered Tue 05-Jun-18 20:47:29

If it's not too late I'd love to join in

iloveredwine Wed 06-Jun-18 07:56:01

when are we going to start it? the 1st of next month? gives me time to find a suitable book!

KeithLeMonde Wed 06-Jun-18 14:39:07

Sorry everyone, been awol for a few days .

We now have 19 people interested. I'm very happy to say yes to everyone but split into two circles of 9-10 each as I don't think we will realistically keep a swap going for over a year and a half.

Sounds like a yes to chocolate, and no taboos other than keeping clear of misery/abuse books.

I'm going to PM everyone who's expressed interest so please keep an eye on your inbox. I know it's a bit of a wait until the end of the month but I think that would be the ideal time to post off our books - I should have planned the timing a bit better when I originally posted!

KeithLeMonde Wed 06-Jun-18 15:12:49

PMs sent to:

@tobee
@falgelednl
@BadTasteFlump
@diamantegal
@rosehiphoney
@fizzywinegum
@iloveredwine
@justcheese
@heismyopendoor
@chewbecca
@cherryblossom23
@justforthehalibut
@lilywhiterosegirl
@etihad
@aleysha
@yaela123
@queenie72
@mygastisflabbered

If I've missed anyone then please shout!

KeithLeMonde Wed 06-Jun-18 16:05:12

Oh one other thing we will need is a name - or two names! Recent names have been Reading Between the Wines, A Novel Idea, Tequila Mockingbird

I am rubbish at thinking up names but I know that if someone goes first then other people will jump in with other, far superior, ideas. So I am getting the ball rolling with

Summer Readin'
Gin and Tolstoy
Death by Choco-Lit

clairethewitch70 Wed 06-Jun-18 16:08:03

Is it too late to join?

yaela123 Wed 06-Jun-18 16:13:09

I'm rubbish at names too - those aren't too bad, my favourite is the choco one.

Two circles sounds good and more realistic - more organising for you though! Thank you for doing this btw

Fizzywinegum Wed 06-Jun-18 18:29:01

I like death by choco - lit.

Thanks for organising this Keith - need to have a think about my book choice now.

lilywhiterosegirl Wed 06-Jun-18 18:32:21

Also a fan of Death by Choco-lit but all the suggestions are great! Thanks for organising it, I’m excited already to see what everyone chooses.

Regarding the no misery/abuse requirement, does this mean no misery memoirs or no novels with themes of misery/ abuse? Just realising how dark a lot of the fiction I read actually is... not sure what this says about me hmm

tobee Wed 06-Jun-18 18:58:55

Thanks for doing this Keith. Are there any restrictions on choc allergy etc wise or will you let us know individually?

KeithLeMonde Wed 06-Jun-18 19:58:08

@clairethewitch70 not too late, I think if we break the groups into two I can squeeze another couple of people in smile I will PM you now.

@lilywhiterosegirl, personally I would say no misery memoirs and no books where abuse is a main theme. Hope that doesn't rule out too many!

@tobee, hopefully PM has reached you - I've asked everyone to let me know of any no-nos for chocolate (dislikes or allergies) and will pass them on along with the posting details where appropriate smile

karyatide Wed 06-Jun-18 20:02:24

I'd love to join if it's not too late!

FreshEyre Wed 06-Jun-18 23:44:06

Keith Thank you for sorting this, I have a new user name especially for this group! smile

It's so hard trying to choose a book though, feels like a massive responsibility...

KeithLeMonde Fri 08-Jun-18 09:24:30

@karyatide not too late smile Once I have all the names and books I will close the list - or if we get two groups of 12 which seems big enough!

I will PM you.

tobee Sat 09-Jun-18 16:02:26

I'm just posting because I'm not 100% sure how the book discussion/review part of the thread works. I've had a quick look at the other book swap threads but I'm not sure how the rules work. Not revealing title? Do you reveal who sent the book? Sorry to be dim but I need it clearly spelled out because I don't want to mess it up.

KeithLeMonde Sun 10-Jun-18 08:38:01

I'll do some instructions once everyone has chosen their books but here's an overview.

Once the swap starts, each person starts a discussion thread for their book. The thread title does not reveal the book title but the posts inside the thread can.

People can choose whether they want to read the posts in advance or not but if you want the books to be a surprise then you don't read the thread relating to a particular book until you've received it and read it. then join the thread and post a review or your thoughts smile

Fizzywinegum Sun 10-Jun-18 16:16:18

Is anyone else finding it difficult to choose a book? It does seem like a big responsibility!

tobee Mon 11-Jun-18 19:33:32

I think, in another mood, Fizz, I might have felt like that, worrying about my choice. But I've just gone for something I read fairly recently that I enjoyed. It's not going to be possible to choose something you can be sure a dozen strangers on a chat room are all going to definitely like. If people are going to judge my choice I can take it! grin

Fizzywinegum Mon 11-Jun-18 22:10:27

Thanks tobee - I think I’m overthinking this one grin

KeithLeMonde Thu 14-Jun-18 09:20:28

There are millions of approaches to choosing a book: choose something you love, something funny, something controversial, something a bit weird, something small and easy to post.....

It just needs to be something that's worth reading and talking about, not something that sums you up as a person smile

Thanks to everyone who has PMed me back so far - I have tried to respond to all messages so if you haven't had a response from me, please can you PM again?

BadTasteFlump Thu 14-Jun-18 10:31:56

Thanks for the PM Keith

Re choosing a book - I have a few favourite books which I've had for years, and read over and over and never get bored with (don't know if that's a bit strange...). Nothing too heavy, but enough to make me think and to stay with me afterwards. So I chose one of them smile

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 14-Jun-18 13:49:56

I know exactly what book to choose, I just can't find my copy of it angry

Chewbecca Thu 14-Jun-18 18:55:55

I can't find my copy of my choice of book either, I may have already lent it to someone, I don't worry about keeping track of books usually. I plan to get Amazon to deliver a new copy if it doesn't turn up. Only issue then is that chocolate will need to be sent separately but hoping that'll be ok.

I chose a book that's not controversial, a bit different to the everyday kind of book you see in the best sellers lists, but mainly one that I was sad to finish & I felt the characters had been my 'friends' whilst reading it.

lilywhiterosegirl Tue 19-Jun-18 09:18:42

@chewbecca that sounds like my kind of book!

I chose mine on the basis that I think it’s an overlooked gem (it got plaudits at the time but everyone seems to have forgotten it now) and I’ve given it to a couple of people to read in the past and they’ve enjoyed it. The book I’ve chosen is quite moving- made me cry but I’m soppy like that.

KeithLeMonde Wed 20-Jun-18 20:11:49

Argh, I wrote a long and very jolly post and somehow Mumsnet ate it before it posted.

The books sound intriguing, and I am really looking forward to finding out what they are. I thought I might guess from seeing the initials but apparently I am not that clever or well read.

I will do the draw over the weekend and aim to PM everyone on Sunday with details of who they are sending to. That should give everyone the week to buy chocolate and get parcels sent off ready to start reading as we hit July.

Is everyone happy with a budget of £1 a month for chocolate? There's usually something nice available around that budget, hopefully affordable for everyone but as always feel free to say here or by PM if it's an issue.

I haven't yet heard from @falgelednl, @rosehiphoney, @cherryblossom23, @aleysha, @karyatide. If you still want to take part please can you PM me before the end of the week so I can include you?

Everyone else, if you've PM-ed me and I have replied then you are on the list!

tobee Wed 20-Jun-18 22:58:35

To those of you worrying about choosing your book, I've just realised I'm worried about choosing the chocolate. 😬

yaela123 Fri 22-Jun-18 07:42:10

Haha me too tobee

£1 sounds good though

KeithLeMonde Sun 24-Jun-18 18:42:56

PMs all sent with details of which group you are in and who to send to smile If you're expecting a PM and haven't had one, please can you let me know asap (probably best to send me a PM as I won't be on here much over the coming days so might miss a message on this thread)

BTW one of you in each group is sending to me but I have talked about myself in the third person in my PM to retain an air of mystery grin

MyGastIsFlabbered Sun 24-Jun-18 20:29:27

Thanks for organising this @KeithLeMonde Looking forward to some new reading!

lilywhiterosegirl Sun 24-Jun-18 22:04:37

Proud Group 2 book reader here! Looking forward to receiving my 1st book and meeting my book club women (also... y’know the chocolate is pretty exciting too!) xx

MyGastIsFlabbered Sun 24-Jun-18 22:31:53

Ooooh I'm a group 2 too!

tobee Mon 25-Jun-18 19:49:03

If you look on other book swap threads here not much gets written on individual members books. I wonder what we will be like?

yaela123 Mon 25-Jun-18 20:16:35

Another group 2 here!

Fizzywinegum Mon 25-Jun-18 22:38:39

I’m in group 1. Will talking about the books spoil the surprise for everyone or will people just read the particular thread relating to their book? Sorry if I’m being a bit dim.

Anyway getting ready to post my book and chocolate off tomorrow grin

iloveredwine Tue 26-Jun-18 09:17:40

group 1 here too. I will send mine off tomorrow all being well.

tobee Tue 26-Jun-18 13:50:25

Got my chocolate, got my bag, got my Jiffy bag. Just can't get to post office today!

tobee Tue 26-Jun-18 13:51:24

*got my book not got my bag. hmm

KeithLeMonde Tue 26-Jun-18 17:58:46

Suggest that we keep discussion of the actual books to the individual book threads, so people can avoid spoilers if they want to smile But I am not in any way the boss of the book swap so you're all allowed to disagree with me smile

iloveredwine Wed 27-Jun-18 12:40:04

do we each have to set up a thread to talk about our own book? I'm in group 1 so would it just be named group 1 and what ever number book we are sending?

yaela123 Wed 27-Jun-18 16:36:06

Just been to the post office - my book (and choc) is on its way!

KeithLeMonde Wed 27-Jun-18 20:26:52

Fab, I have posted as well. before we set up the threads for discussion, we need names!

Anyone want to claim any of the previous suggestions for either of the groups? Or suggest others, or even suggest that we stick with group 1 and group2?

Summer Readin'
Gin and Tolstoy
Death by Choco-Lit

Please suggest some better ones smile

iloveredwine Thu 28-Jun-18 09:14:56

posted mine this morning 😉

iloveredwine Thu 28-Jun-18 09:28:51

happy with any name and just group 1 and group 2

iloveredwine Thu 28-Jun-18 14:49:41

my book and chocolate have arrived!

FreshEyre Thu 28-Jun-18 15:04:55

Happy with any name.

My book and chocolate are now packed up and ready to post. Really looking forward to finding out what my first book will be.

Choosing a book was hard though. What if it's considered rubbish? Too long? Too controversial? Too short? Too heavy-going? Too light-hearted? Too common? Too intellectual or not intellectual enough? gin

FreshEyre Thu 28-Jun-18 15:06:07

Happy with any name.

My book and chocolate are now packed up and ready to post. Really looking forward to finding out what my first book will be.

Choosing a book was hard though. What if it's considered rubbish? Too long? Too controversial? Too short? Too heavy-going? Too light-hearted? Too common? Too intellectual or not intellectual enough? gin

iloveredwine Thu 28-Jun-18 16:03:45

I know. worrying about my book now😬

Fizzywinegum Thu 28-Jun-18 16:44:37

I think part of this book swap is to read books that you wouldn’t normally choose yourself so there isn’t a right or wrong type of book. (Although I did have a bit of a wobble choosing my book!)

Looking forward to receiving my book and chocolate soon smile.

Etihad Thu 28-Jun-18 16:48:14

Have just posted mine. The man in the post office wasn’t sure the postcode was valid?!?! And after a bit of faffing about he insisted he changed it and it’s on its way - really sorry if someone in group 2 gets theirs late I tried my best. At least it stops me worrying about my book choice and if the chocolate will melt.

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 28-Jun-18 20:46:17

I'll post mine tomorrow.

Badtasteflump Thu 28-Jun-18 21:38:28

Posting mine tomorrow too after I've been chocolate shopping - because the bar I bought seems to have disappeared ☺️

lilywhiterosegirl Thu 28-Jun-18 21:56:57

I have a feeling the address you posted to is mine as my address never comes up properly on automatic address finding systems! Hopefully it arrives safe and sound. Posting my book tomorrow. Hopefully the chocolate won’t melt en route

tobee Fri 29-Jun-18 00:19:59

Gin & Tolstoy. For group 1

Anyway, I'm feeling open minded about reading! 📖

Etihad Fri 29-Jun-18 07:23:37

Thanks lily fingers crossed it gets there ok

lilywhiterosegirl Fri 29-Jun-18 12:34:39

Finally posted mine off- hopefully will arrive by Monday

Badtasteflump Fri 29-Jun-18 12:36:15

Posted mine this morning - and came back to find my new book & choc had been delivered - really excited to get reading (and eating smile.

Sorry that I've only just posted mine btw...

Chewbecca Fri 29-Jun-18 13:11:57

Mine arrived today - squeal! Looks interesting, not something I have seen before & am looking forward to getting started which may wait until Monday. and eating the chocolate which is unlikely to last until then.

Badtasteflump Fri 29-Jun-18 17:11:12

Also happy with any name btw... smile

diamantegal Fri 29-Jun-18 17:21:44

Posting mine tomorrow so apologies for whoever is waiting for it. The book is all ready, it's the chocolate that's caused the delay - it's too hot for chocolate shopping, it'll just melt!

MyGastIsFlabbered Sat 30-Jun-18 08:57:16

Posted mine yesterday but forgot to write my MN username inside it. Whoever gets TNC by EM please can you put my name in it? Thank you.

Badtasteflump Sat 30-Jun-18 10:00:17

Oops are we supposed to put out username in it? If so can the recipient of OTT by AQ add mine? Thank u blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »