Pending Name Book Club - Nov 2017

(130 Posts)
JorlyWood Sun 19-Nov-17 20:45:58

Right so I only have four addresses so far. These are from;
clairethewitch70
mailfuckoff
BigPinkOrchid
WhyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk

Please let me know if you have sent me an address and your name is not here as it means it has gotten lost somewhere.

Ok so can everyone else that wants to join in please send me your addresses ASAP as I was hoping to organise it tomorrow evening and then Tuesday/Wednesday we do deliveries.

Things I need as well as address
- Initials of book title and author
- Any allergy or chocolate/treats preference

As I have mentioned in the last thread I will be setting up a monthly sign in thread that everyone needs to post in before the books get sent on. Don't worry, I will remind you if you forget.

I think the general consensus was that we would be having as little censorship as possible so you can send pretty much anything you want apart from abuse memoirs which can be very triggering/upsetting for some people.

A reminder of how it will work:
- I collect all addresses and other info
- I give everyone one person/address to send your own book to.
- About 3 and 1/2 weeks later I will open up the sign in thread for you to respond to.
- Couple of days later if all goes well and we haven't lost anyone we will send the book we received onto your allocated person/address.
- If we lose people along the way then I will give you direction on where to send books to.
- When sending books on we will also send a small amount of chocolate or other requested treat up to a value of £2.50
- We can then set up threads for each book and discuss them.

Okay, sorry for the long post. I just wanted to collate all of the ideas into one. So let's get the addresses in and we can start the fun!

Thanks,
Jorly!

JorlyWood Mon 20-Nov-17 21:57:57

I now have details belonging to:
Myusernameisnotmyusername
Oxcat1
Celama

Hurry up and send me your address if you want to join in. Sorting it out tonight!

JorlyWood Mon 20-Nov-17 23:29:45

Okay, I am sorting it out now so unfortunately that means I can't accept any more names this time. I will be pm'ing you shortly if you have given me your address.

JorlyWood Mon 20-Nov-17 23:58:38

So it is all sorted. I will list it all here and if anyone's pm states otherwise please let me know ASAP! There shouldn't be any problems but just in case.

-clairethewitch70 is sending to mailfuckoff
-mailfuckoff is sending to BigPinkOrchid
-BigPinkOrchid is sending to WhyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk
-WhyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk is sending to Myusernameisnotmyusername
-Myusernameisnotmyusername is sending to oxcat1
-oxcat1 is sending to Celama
-Celama is sending to JorlyWood
-JorlyWood is sending to clairethewitch70

Please read your pm carefully as a few people have some requests for treats/chocolate to be sent.

If unsure about anything please just ask and we will help.

BigPinkOrchid Tue 21-Nov-17 08:16:45

Brilliant. Thanks for organising Jorly. Looking forward to it...

clairethewitch70 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:41:09

Got my PM, thanks for organising this Jorly.

myusernameisnotmyusername Tue 21-Nov-17 13:20:47

Got mine. Might not be able to post until Saturday morning though as at work all day and nowhere near a post office! Thanks again Jorly

Celama Tue 21-Nov-17 16:50:56

Thanks Jorly, all ready to send tomorrow.

JorlyWood Tue 21-Nov-17 17:01:55

Excellent, I have just sorted mine out and will get to the post office tomorrow too.

JorlyWood Tue 21-Nov-17 17:03:56

And don't worry about it username, just send it when you are able.

BigPinkOrchid Tue 21-Nov-17 17:19:55

Mine probably won't get sent until the end of the week either, sorry WhyIsA Raven , my DS has a sickness bug so we're stuck at home for a day or two.

clairethewitch70 Tue 21-Nov-17 20:10:01

Just sorted mine out for mailfuckoff. DH posting it tomorrow.

BigPinkOrchid Wed 22-Nov-17 18:31:56

I managed to escape for a bit whilst my mum had poorly DS, so got mine sent off to WhyIsARaven today. smile

JorlyWood Wed 22-Nov-17 18:42:26

Oh that is good. Hope your ds gets better soon though. I sent mine off today as well.

mailfuckoff Thu 23-Nov-17 06:43:37

Planning to send mine today. It's been a busy week but will get a chance to go to post office today

whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Fri 24-Nov-17 08:55:11

pinkorchid
Just managed to log back into MN (forgot password and phone decided to update the app) I hope your son is feeling better 😊

username your book is on its way 👍🏻

BigPinkOrchid Fri 24-Nov-17 19:30:21

Raven He is thanks, yes. My turn now... smile

clairethewitch70 Fri 24-Nov-17 20:31:49

Received my book from JorlyWood Looks interesting, not something I would normally pick up but it looks good - have you read it? What do we do about discussing books - do we start a thread on each book?

JorlyWood Fri 24-Nov-17 20:45:27

Yeah it is a great book. I will start a new thread for everyone's books and then we can discuss them separately. I guess try to be as vague as possible when discussing it just in case someone clicks on the wrong one or even (like me) has no self control then regrets things. blush

JorlyWood Fri 24-Nov-17 20:58:04

I will keep a track on paper and let everyone know who's book they are receiving every month.

BigPinkOrchid Sat 25-Nov-17 11:19:40

Ooh mail, your book and chocolate arrived today. Thank you! Looking forward to reading it.

JorlyWood Sat 25-Nov-17 12:26:41

I got my book and chocolate through today too! Thanks Celama. Looking forward to starting it tonight!

myusernameisnotmyusername Sun 26-Nov-17 22:50:34

Hi raven, I got yours. Picked it up from mail place on Saturday. Thanks very much. Oxcat yours was posted Saturday. smile

oxcat1 Sun 26-Nov-17 23:08:27

Thank you! Afraid my copy won't be arriving until tomorrow, so I'll pop it in the post as soon as possible after that. So sorry about the delay.

Is it possible to have an extension over Christmas?!

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 29-Nov-17 12:51:29

When do we have to send them on again?

JorlyWood Wed 29-Nov-17 14:17:05

Oh not for a while yet. Just before or just after Christmas.

clairethewitch70 Wed 29-Nov-17 14:57:45

@mailfuckoff have you received your book yet?

How do the review threads work? Do we put in the title and include spoilers and only look when we are reading the book unless we sneak a look before-

JorlyWood Wed 29-Nov-17 15:48:45

I wouldn't put the title in case of accidental clicks. It is a bit difficult to miss something like that but otherwise go for it.

mailfuckoff Wed 29-Nov-17 17:35:38

I've got my book, thanks

myusernameisnotmyusername Fri 01-Dec-17 22:58:29

I'm finishing another book and the book I have received is pretty massive so I'm not sure I'll read it in time but don't want to hold anyone else up.

oxcat1 Sat 02-Dec-17 00:19:27

@myusernameisnotmyusername thanks so much for the amazingly thoughtful chocolate! Book looks really interesting too.

So Soddy, @Celama but I only posted it today. Apologies.

I have to say that I agree with User, and would much prefer to move on after Christmas as I don't think I will I he ready otherwise. Sorry.

Celama Sat 02-Dec-17 13:12:26

I was just going to say that it doesn't matter @oxcat1 but it's just been delivered. My son has already claimed one of the chocolates though! The book looks exactly the sort of thing I like reading, I'm looking forward to starting it, thanks.

myusernameisnotmyusername Tue 05-Dec-17 12:31:33

No problem Oxcat. I'm really pleased it's ok! I was worried it wouldn't be.

oxcat1 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:35:45

Really so kind of you to have gone to all that effort. Thank you

clairethewitch70 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:36:39

@JorlyWood
I have finished reading the book now. Are we still sending on 20th, or shall I send it on asap to avoid Xmas rush?

How are we discussing the books? I saw they each have a thread. Are we including spoilers or keeping as broad as possible until everyone has read the book. Are we including the title and author ? I know I won't be able to stop myself looking at the other book threads, but I am not one for surprises so I don't mind.

Sorry for so many questions. One more thing, once we have passed books on a few times we are not going to know whose book is who's for the discussion thread, so it may be helpful to include a note saying whose book we are passing on.

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 13-Dec-17 11:51:26

Where are the threads? I haven't started my book yet blush

JorlyWood Wed 13-Dec-17 20:48:16

Hi, sorry for slow reply. It's a busy time of year! I wouldn't send it on right now as I'm going to give everyone a buzz and make sure they are still about. You know, I realised that we hadn't tagged our own books after we sent them but it is ok because I have it all logged so I can let you know each month whose book you are receiving.

As for the reviews or general chat about each book I'd try to be vague but everyone does have a choice whether to look at the other threads or not so it is up to you. What I would say is please don't name the book or author just in case someone clicks accidentally and there is a big title in capital letters.

You can find the desperate threads here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mn_book_swap_clubs

I'm terrible and haven't finished yet. I am a quick reader when I get into books though.

JorlyWood Wed 20-Dec-17 19:58:56

Does anybody have any objection to letting the sending on of books wait until after Christmas now? I can't be the only one who has been really busy lately.

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 20-Dec-17 20:33:49

I definitely have no objection!

BigPinkOrchid Thu 21-Dec-17 16:58:58

I'm ok with that.

mailfuckoff Wed 27-Dec-17 17:23:57

When did we agree to post books on?

JorlyWood Wed 27-Dec-17 19:31:47

We haven't set a date yet as it got pretty busy over Christmas but I'm thinking just after new year? What do you think everyone?

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 27-Dec-17 22:57:38

I'll be honest. I was finishing another book then had to start my reading group one so I haven't started it yet. blush. But I don't want to hold anyone up.

clairethewitch70 Sat 30-Dec-17 23:31:40

I am ready to post on as soon as a date is given. Hope you all had a good Christmas.

myusernameisnotmyusername Mon 01-Jan-18 00:32:53

I can't really get into mine. I've tried and it would be great but it's just not my kind of thing so I can also post on. Sorry!

BigPinkOrchid Wed 03-Jan-18 15:26:45

I'm ready to post on too. Really enjoyed my book. smile

JorlyWood Wed 03-Jan-18 16:31:02

So I went on holiday to the in laws and forgot my book but I'm back at the weekend so why don't we set Monday as the date to send the books forward? Few days after is fine. I will chase up people who haven't replied to this thread in a while to make sure they are still about and keen.

myusernameisnotmyusername Fri 05-Jan-18 00:05:01

I'm fine with that although I won't be able to get to a post office until the weekend.

clairethewitch70 Mon 08-Jan-18 18:04:08

Just saw this message. Will get mine posted tomorrow or Wednesday. (Posted to mailfuckoff)

myusernameisnotmyusername Mon 08-Jan-18 18:25:55

How do we know where we're posting them to? Has a pm been sent?

myusernameisnotmyusername Mon 08-Jan-18 18:28:08

Oh god am I being thick?! Are we sending to the same person every time? blush

JorlyWood Mon 08-Jan-18 18:31:59

Yeah you send to same person each time. I've just got back home so haven't managed to pm everyone yet but let's just go for sending them anyway and see what happens. If you need a reminder of the address then pm me.

JorlyWood Mon 08-Jan-18 18:42:23

Also I apologise to everyone for lacking in enthusiasm recently around this. What with Christmas and everything going on I haven't had much time or interest in books. I get very obsessive about things and when I made this thread I was going through a book phase but for the past month I've been in a crap tv phase.

With the New Year and post holiday I'm now very excited for completing my book and sending/receiving another. When I am in this mood I can read books in a few days so my book will be sent on Wednesday or Thursday at latest.

mailfuckoff Mon 08-Jan-18 19:47:49

I've seen this and will be posting to big pinkorchid tomorrow. Apologises now for the chocolate but it's never too early for Christmas 😀

Celama Mon 08-Jan-18 23:40:11

Just seen the update, sorry. I'll get mine posted off in the next couple of days.

BigPinkOrchid Tue 09-Jan-18 11:24:59

I'll be able to post mine on to Raven on Thursday.

Looking forward to receiving the next one. Thanks mail.

JorlyWood Thu 11-Jan-18 16:57:35

Posted book on today.

clairethewitch70 Sat 13-Jan-18 14:08:11

@JorlyWood - I have received the book you posted to me. I cannot wait to read this one - whose book is it so I know who's to comment on?

@mailfuckoff - posted JorlyWoods book onto you yesterday.

JorlyWood Sat 13-Jan-18 14:32:57

Ok so here is a list of whose book we all have now.
Claire has Celama's book.
Mailfuckoff has Jorly's.
BigPink has Claire's.
Raven has mailfuckoff's.
Username has bigpink's.
Oxcat has Ravens.
Celama has username's.
Jorly has oxcats.

myusernameisnotmyusername Sat 13-Jan-18 20:57:52

Hi I've posted mine to Oxcat today.

oxcat1 Sun 14-Jan-18 11:32:06

Thanks User.

Daft question, but does anybody know if a standard-sized paperback can be posted with just a large letter stamp? It will be awkward to get to the post office for a few days and have these stamps, but don't know if a 350-ish page novel can be posted this way?

Thanks.

JorlyWood Sun 14-Jan-18 12:18:46

I'm not sure, doubt it. Also don't forget the chocolate! :D

whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Mon 15-Jan-18 14:13:09

I've forgotten to post my book on, I hope I'm not too late

JorlyWood Mon 15-Jan-18 14:54:19

That's ok, just post it as soon as possible!

clairethewitch70 Wed 17-Jan-18 20:58:25

@mailfuckoff

Have you received your book yet?

JorlyWood Wed 17-Jan-18 21:14:23

Celama did you manage to send the book on? I haven't received it yet.

mailfuckoff Thu 18-Jan-18 06:38:53

Hi I've got my book thanks

myusernameisnotmyusername Fri 19-Jan-18 22:28:26

I haven't received my book yet.

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 24-Jan-18 15:58:08

Raven are you meant to be posting to me?

JorlyWood Wed 24-Jan-18 16:32:41

I'm still waiting on my book too. sad

oxcat1 Wed 24-Jan-18 18:18:47

I received User's last week (thank you) and also posted on to Celama last week. Hope that was right?

JorlyWood Sun 28-Jan-18 16:57:54

Well this has fallen apart very quickly. Still not received my book.

BigPinkOrchid Sun 28-Jan-18 18:49:29

Oh no. That's a shame. I've received and read Claire's book which was sent onto me by mailfuckoff. Hope things can be salvaged somehow...

JorlyWood Tue 30-Jan-18 13:07:17

Nobody send on anymore books until I can get in touch with everyone please.

oxcat1 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:11:54

Sorry. Been silent for a bit. I am still here! I have received, and sent on, two books so far....

clairethewitch70 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:52:21

@JorlyWood
When do we send our book on to the next person?

myusernameisnotmyusername Sat 17-Feb-18 00:56:59

I've not even received the next book!

JorlyWood Sat 17-Feb-18 08:58:40

I know, sorry guys. I'm waiting on the person who has pulled out to send me the two books she has at the moment. I've chased her up again this morning so will give it a few more days and if no reply we will have to sort something else out.

BigPinkOrchid Mon 19-Feb-18 09:00:08

I don't mind throwing another book into the mix, if it'll help get things started again? I can send the book that I last received onto the next person as normal and also send a book onto whoever's missing one to fill the gap. Would that help?

mailfuckoff Tue 20-Feb-18 03:21:25

I'm ready to pass on when all others are.

myusernameisnotmyusername Tue 20-Feb-18 21:50:26

The last book I had I sent on before Christmas. So I don't know what's going on now.

JorlyWood Tue 20-Feb-18 23:06:05

Hi sorry - been busy again. I think I have worked it out. Raven has decided to leave the group so oxcat1 I will send you my address and you can send me her book and I will get it sent back to her.

So I think to get it going again we should take BigPinkOrchid up on her offer to add a new book into the mix and I will do the same. (Raven has mail's and pink's books and I've been trying to reach her but she is quite slow at replying so god knows when I will hear back and get the books back to me.

Here is my suggestion:

Claire sending Celama's book to mail.
Mail sending Jorly's book to Pink.
Pink sending Claire's book to username.
Pink sending new book to oxcat1.
Jorly sending new book to Celama.
Celama sending usernames book to Jorly.
Jorly sending oxcats book to Claire.

I think we can then continue going round in the circle. Mail if you would prefer to put another book of yours out there then let me know but there is of course no obligation. Or if you can give me the title of the one you chose to begin with I could buy another copy?

I will send you all an individual pm with the addresses of who to send to.

JorlyWood Fri 02-Mar-18 11:14:28

Sorry for the delay, I will send books out tomorrow.

clairethewitch70 Mon 05-Mar-18 18:10:44

Finally got it posted today. Sorry for the delay.

BigPinkOrchid Tue 06-Mar-18 19:16:40

I posted yesterday to oxcat and username. Sorry for delay...between half term, snow days and dad in hospital, I couldn't get to the PO any sooner.

myusernameisnotmyusername Tue 06-Mar-18 23:02:45

No worries. Thank you. Hope your dad is ok.

BigPinkOrchid Wed 07-Mar-18 11:27:09

Thanks username. He's fine now. smile

JorlyWood Wed 07-Mar-18 17:41:22

Sorry I just sent mine today as well but as I was late i sent first class so Claire and celema you should both receive your books in the next few days

clairethewitch70 Thu 08-Mar-18 14:28:24

@JorlyWood, received today thanks. Looking forward to this book.
@mailfuckoff - has the book arrived safely?

mailfuckoff Thu 08-Mar-18 14:48:34

Hi, yes I got the book today, thanks.

myusernameisnotmyusername Fri 16-Mar-18 22:24:20

Sorry, I received my book a few days ago and forgot to tell everyone. Thanks very much and for the fry's chocolate cream- I love that and not had it for ages!

myusernameisnotmyusername Fri 16-Mar-18 22:25:07

Bigpinkorchid I don't know how to tag.

BigPinkOrchid Wed 21-Mar-18 17:37:35

Ah glad you enjoyed it username. I think I bought it for nostalgic reasons, can remember my mum liking it in the 80s, and was quite surprised to see it in the shop!

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 21-Mar-18 18:26:38

Thanks again. It is really nostalgic! I've started the book- about a quarter of the way through.

myusernameisnotmyusername Wed 28-Mar-18 22:55:10

I have finished my book! It was very enjoyable.

BigPinkOrchid Fri 30-Mar-18 10:11:26

Glad you enjoyed it myusername.

I'm a little bit ashamed to say that I haven't read mine this time. I joined the swap to make me read things I wouldn't usually read, but I didn't get past about 3 pages of this one before putting it down and never quite getting round to picking it up again. In my defence, I did read and enjoy the last two, and they weren't books I would normally pick up either. grin

myusernameisnotmyusername Fri 30-Mar-18 17:49:21

Don't worry. I didn't read the last one I had.

laura1306 Thu 05-Apr-18 13:33:09

Can somebody tell me how this works? X

mailfuckoff Sun 08-Apr-18 03:42:17

Hi are we ready to swap again?

myusernameisnotmyusername Tue 10-Apr-18 23:38:08

I'm ready @mailfuckoff

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: