Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A Novel Bunch - desperatelyseekingcaffeine's book

(5 Posts)
desperatelyseekingcaffeine Mon 20-Jun-16 21:51:25

I picked this as I've read it several times over the years. I loved the original irish myth it was based on - can vividly remember reading it as part of a junior school book. I know the genre may not be to everyone's taste so all feedback welcome! I won't put any more as no decision yet about spoilers!

iloveredwine Sun 03-Jul-16 09:18:33

I was surprised when I got this ok as it is nothing like I have ever read before. Totally different to my usual reads. I'm still not sure I really liked it but it did keep me reading to the end. Not sure I would read it again though ....

JennyWreny Mon 29-Aug-16 19:18:38

Just letting you know that I am still reading this! I didn't manage to finish it in time to post it so eventually downloaded it onto my Kindle. I haven't read anything from this genre for decades, but I am enjoying it and want to find out what happens in the end! Will update again once I've finished.

jobnockey Mon 12-Sep-16 15:12:57

I must admit when I received this book I was a bit put off by the front cover, although I have read and enjoyed lots of fantasy books before, I wasn’t sure it was going to be my cup of tea. However – I ended up really enjoying it (classic case of never judge a book by its cover!) and it kept me gripped right to the end. All the way through I kept disagreeing with the blurb on the front about it being a romance, thinking it was more to do with the narrator’s love for her brothers rather than romantic love. However, it did get a bit lovey dovey at the end which almost lost me but it fitted in with the rest of the book and made the story, and wasn’t too over the top. A good read for me, thanks for choosing!

JennyWreny Thu 13-Oct-16 16:11:49

Oops, I finished this ages ago and just realised I didn't add to this thread.

Thanks for picking this book. Like job, when I first received it I wasn't really sure that I'd like it, however I'm glad I read it and it really is beautifully written. I loved the main character - very likeable and most of the others are too.

I understand that it is based on a traditional fairy tale, which I hadn't heard before, I wonder how close it is to that. Even though the book is quite long, I didn't struggle towards the end and in fact I was keen to keep reading to find out what happened. I liked the twists in the tale which kept things interesting.

I don't think I'd choose another in this genre, but I really did enjoy it. Thanks for choosing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now