Talk

Advanced search

New new book swap

(334 Posts)
Mariqui Thu 05-May-16 21:51:04

Having recently missed the chance to be a part of a new bookswap, I am just wondering if there is anyone else who would like to start up a new one with me?

KeithLeMonde Fri 06-May-16 09:15:42

Might be worth putting a thread on the main books board as well as I don't know if many people would think to look here. Hope you get lots of takers - I could have my arm twisted to join a second book swap if you need an extra person smile

Mariqui Fri 06-May-16 18:25:46

Thanks Keith! Will give it a try

falgelednl Sat 07-May-16 17:54:59

Hi Mariqui - I only just saw that a new book swap group had started and I was too late to even miss out!
I would love to be involved in another one - I am sure arti won't mind if you add a new message to the old new group thread to get other miss-outers to head this way.
There looked like there were a few others...

Mariqui Mon 09-May-16 22:38:44

Hi falgelednl, thanks, will have another go!

Unicorn1981 Wed 11-May-16 13:29:36

Hi I missed out on the last one and artifarti redirected me to yours. I'd like to join please.

Mariqui Wed 11-May-16 20:36:27

Great -we are now three (possibly four if we can twist Keith's arm!) Guess we still need a few more?!

Unicorn1981 Fri 13-May-16 21:37:51

Hi just wondering how this is going.

jobnockey Tue 24-May-16 14:18:41

I'm interested!

champagneplanet Tue 24-May-16 14:20:25

me too!

FlysInDreams Tue 24-May-16 14:21:16

Me too!

RufusTheReindeer Mon 30-May-16 20:35:49

I have a friend that might be interested....if i could just remember who hmm

jobnockey Wed 01-Jun-16 08:35:56

I'm not sure how we proceed from here?!?!?

KeithLeMonde Wed 01-Jun-16 19:52:26

Someone (Mariqui ?) needs to be "in charge". They collect everyone's names and addresses via PM or email. They then email each person to tell them only the name and address of the person to whom they are sending. No-one else knows your real life details.

Then you choose a book and send it to your person smile Have a look at the other book swap thread for the discussion on which types of books are best and which, if any, are not to be included. Also, whether or not to send chocolates along with your book smile

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Wed 01-Jun-16 20:02:56

Me please! And yes vote to chocolate smile

Greenyogagirl Fri 03-Jun-16 17:25:47

Me me me me pleeeeease grin

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 12:34:58

Sorry folks, got a bit bogged down in life stuff. Woohoo to more people! Chocolate is a definite yes for me. What type of books do people want to swap? Focused genre or more of a free for all approach?

JennyWreny Sat 04-Jun-16 12:58:10

If you still have space, I'd like to join please (and say yes to chocolate).

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 14:28:34

Most welcome JennyWreny.

So now we have:

Unicorn1981
Jobnockey
Champagne planet
FlysinDreams
Desperatelyseekingcaffeine
Greenyogagirl
JennyWreny
Me

Anyone else?

falgelednl are you still in?

Keith are you joining us too?

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 14:30:57

We should also probably set a chocolate budget - what are people happy with?

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Sat 04-Jun-16 18:38:44

Think the other group had 2.50 budget for choc which seems reasonable to me. Personally I'll read just about anything only draw the line at abuse type memoirs. Like the idea of getting things I wouldn't normally have read.

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 18:43:44

Works for me if everyone is happy with that.

Greenyogagirl Sat 04-Jun-16 19:07:25

I'm happy, definitely not 'granny don't hit me with mangle' type books like pp said but anything else and I'm happy smile

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 19:42:33

Great. I'd prefer not out and out horror too, but of a wuss! Thrillers are fine though.

If people would like to send me their names and addresses I will sort out who is sending where. It would be great if you could also send me the name of the book you're planning on sending so I can make sure we don't have multiples of the same book going round and round.

Happy to do via email if you all prefer!

iloveredwine Sat 04-Jun-16 19:50:23

Me please if time

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 20:18:27

No problem iloveredwine. We should probably limit numbers there then so not too much chaos occurs.

JennyWreny Sat 04-Jun-16 20:33:33

Is the plan to send on the book on the same date each month? So would 12ish be a good number?

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 20:44:41

Yes JennyWreny that's right. Happy to do the 12th if I can get everyone's addresses and books in time! We all send a book and chocolates to one person and then forward the book we receive onwards the following month, so that everyone ultimately gets to read all of the books.

iloveredwine Sat 04-Jun-16 20:51:01

Thank you. Can I send a message from the app or just on the full site?

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 21:03:21

Think you should be able to do it from the app iloveredwine. There's a button on the top right of messages which says message poster - do you have that?

iloveredwine Sat 04-Jun-16 21:05:55

No nothing showing???

JennyWreny Sat 04-Jun-16 21:30:04

Sorry, I meant 12 members to swap books smile

JennyWreny Sat 04-Jun-16 21:31:24

So if it was once a month swap it would take a year or have I got that wrong blush

iloveredwine Sat 04-Jun-16 21:34:53

Is there any specific types of books not wanted or is chic lit etc ok?

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 21:41:10

Not particularly JennyWreny, we just all put a new book in if everyone wants to after the first rotation. I'm happy to stay open to more people for a while, but don't want to get to big as that makes it all a bit more complicated and more chance for things to go wrong.

Iloveredwine consensus so far is that all books are welcome other than abuse stories and horrors.

JennyWreny Sat 04-Jun-16 21:56:53

Ah, that makes sense. I'll PM you now. Are we using the same code for the names of books as the other book swap (initials of title BY initials of author) or would you like the full name?

Mariqui Sat 04-Jun-16 22:10:27

Either works for me

Greenyogagirl Sun 05-Jun-16 11:26:57

I think we should use initials of author and title so op gets a surprise every month too X

Mariqui Sun 05-Jun-16 12:31:06

Initials are fine, if I have any repeat initials I will then ask for confirmation of full title etc to make sure we don't have any overlap.

Thanks to those of you who have already sent over details!

Mariqui Sun 05-Jun-16 15:31:10

Thanks greenyogagirl - all received.

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Sun 05-Jun-16 17:09:58

I've just decanted most of my books to my parents while getting house ready for no2s arrival so just need to check mon or tues that the right book is there!

KeithLeMonde Sun 05-Jun-16 20:19:23

Do you still want me or have you got 12? I don't mind either way smile Always room for more books and chocolate

KeithLeMonde Sun 05-Jun-16 20:31:55

One suggestion from the other thread was to choose a book that you have enjoyed but that is not a huge best seller or very well known. So that the chances are that most of the books going round are ones that people haven't read, rather than "Gone Girl" or "Bridget Jones' Diary" or whatever.

Mariqui Sun 05-Jun-16 21:50:06

No problem Desperatelyseekingcaffeine that's absolutely fine. Happy either way KeithLeMonde,, if you want more books and chocolate then you are most welcome!

acsec Sun 05-Jun-16 21:52:32

Is it too late to join? I was only thinking this morning that I'd like to be involved in another book swap.

jobnockey Sun 05-Jun-16 22:09:06

Ooo, exciting - I need to decide which book to send! I read most things but please no chick lit!

will Pm you imminently mariqui.

just to clarify - we'll send 1st books on 12th June?

Mariqui Sun 05-Jun-16 22:38:57

Thanks jobnockey. PM received!

Yes, the plan is to send there or thereabouts, but it does depend on me receiving everyone's details in time! Last deadline for sending details will be the 9th to make sure we have no crossovers.

No acsec, it's not too late - as long as I have your details by the 9th June you are welcome!

Mariqui Tue 07-Jun-16 16:03:29

Just a quick bump - if you haven't already sent over details and want to be involved, please do so before the 9th June! Thanks!

Mariqui Wed 08-Jun-16 14:24:03

Hi everyone,

I now have details for:
Acsec
Jobnockey
Iloveredwine
Greenyogagirl
Desperatelyseekingcaffeine
JennyWreny

If anyone else wants in, speak now!

I will be sending out details of who is sending where on Friday evening. I have belatedly realised that the 12th is a Sunday, so send day will be 13th (or thereabouts!!) we are including chocolate to the value of £2.50.

JennyWreny Wed 08-Jun-16 15:45:42

Oh no! Have we lost some people before we've even started! I still need to go chocolate chocolate chocolate shopping.

JennyWreny Wed 08-Jun-16 15:47:15

Maybe they are still deciding on a book or chocolate

Mariqui Wed 08-Jun-16 16:06:57

Looks that way, but we still have enough to make it work so all good. I'll pop a message over to people who said they were interested earlier just in case they've missed that things have moved forward.

Mariqui Wed 08-Jun-16 18:47:32

Just to double check - is anyone allergic to anything?

acsec Wed 08-Jun-16 22:44:14

I'm allergic to pine nuts and lychees but they don't tend to be in chocolate grin

Mariqui Wed 08-Jun-16 23:14:06

grin Darn it acsec, I was planning on sending a lychee dark chocolate extravaganza!

ReginaTheVelociraptor Wed 08-Jun-16 23:15:37

Am I too late to join?

Mariqui Wed 08-Jun-16 23:37:31

No Regina, you're not too late. If you can please send over your address and details of the book you are going to send asap please then I will let you know where you are sending. We are hoping to send out on the 13th June.

acsec Thu 09-Jun-16 17:51:00

Ah, sorry to scupper your plans, Mariqui. Luckily my allergies are pretty niche so don't tend to get in the way of life grin

Mariqui Thu 09-Jun-16 18:50:08

Gosh, I can't even imagine the devestation you must feel without lychees in your life acsec... I shall eat several in your honour.

acsec Thu 09-Jun-16 22:56:02

Thank you, it is a hard burden to bear, but I'm making my peace with it. (I do actually quite like them, and travelling in South East Asia it was quite tricky to explain no lychees and they crop up in many unexpected dishes).

Mariqui Thu 09-Jun-16 23:45:15

Yes I can imagine that would actually be quite tricky!

Back (briefly) to books - final call. I've sent messages to everyone who has previously been on this thread - if I don't have your details by first thing Saturday then unfortunately you will have to miss this round as I need to let everyone know where they are sending.

KeithLeMonde Fri 10-Jun-16 09:42:53

I'm going to drop out on this one as it sounds like you have a good group of people (and extra chocolate each month will totally ruin my beach body y'know...).

Mariqui Fri 10-Jun-16 10:52:14

No problem Keith, hope yours is going well!

Mariqui Fri 10-Jun-16 23:25:27

Still missing details for:

Unicorn1981
FlysinDreams
ReginaTheVelociraptor

Sending out details tomorrow evening so need ASAP please

jobnockey Sat 11-Jun-16 11:34:51

Ooo this is exciting. I forgot to get chocolate yesterday when in the shop... Must remember today. I've just finished a book I don't know whether to start a new one now or wait for my book swap one!

JennyWreny Sat 11-Jun-16 12:46:13

I remembered to buy the chocolate, but I went out last night and when I came back I found that someone had opened it angry.

Mariqui Sat 11-Jun-16 17:38:45

Jobnockey, hopefully you will have a new book by next weekend, so depends how long you can wait - I'm pretty sure I'd be starting a new one though!

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Sat 11-Jun-16 20:15:01

I've had to keep my husband away from the chocolate - he was very upset it wasn't for him!

Mariqui Sat 11-Jun-16 21:06:11

I'm sure he can sneak a bite of yours Desperatelyseekingcaffeine!

I'm sending details to you all at about 10pm via private message, just giving a couple of stragglers a little bit more time to come back. We currently have 8 including me, which is pretty good I think!

Amazingly nobody wanted to send the same book, which is a very good start. Do we want to discuss the books on here, or set up separate threads to talk about each book once we've read them to ensure no spoilers?

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Sat 11-Jun-16 21:21:32

Nope I'm 34/40 with spd so the chocolate is mine all mine! Secretly hoping it's something he doesn't like (does that make me a bad person?)

Maybe separate threads so no spoilers - guess they'll be quiet initially then increase as more people have read each book.

JennyWreny Sat 11-Jun-16 21:25:52

Thanks Mariqui. I'm really looking forward to it. I think 8 is a good number. Hopefully, as you said before, having a smaller number means there's less chance for things to go wrong, but there are enough of us to keep going for 8 months with the first set of books, so that's great.

I don't know what others think, but I would prefer to have separate threads which don't name the book in the title so that each month it will be a surprise to see which book we've been sent. Also, as you say, it will ensure no spoilers. We could still have this thread for general chat though.

Mariqui Sat 11-Jun-16 21:40:48

Ouch, Desperatelyseekingcaffeine, sorry to hear that, but many congratulations. The chocolate is definitely all yours!!

Sounds good to me. We probably need a group name in that case - any suggestions? I think we should each start a thread when we receive our first books and then we can each talk there once we have passed on the books.

Also, I suggest that everyone writes their username somewhere in the front of their book so we can make sure they get back to the right place.

Mariqui Sat 11-Jun-16 22:08:40

Hi everyone

I have now sent out details! Very exciting.

If for some reason you have sent me your details but have not received a message from me telling you where to send then please do let me know ASAP!

JennyWreny Sun 12-Jun-16 00:15:05

Message received thanks. Will post book and choc on Monday. A quick google for funny book group names comes up with loads of suggestions including -

Just add chocolate
Between the covers
It's not just about the chocolate
A novel bunch
Badass bookworms
The book stops here

FlysInDreams Mon 13-Jun-16 09:02:46

Got my message. Just need to wrap book and chocolate now and send them!

Mariqui Mon 13-Jun-16 09:55:23

Hello everybody! Today is the day – how exciting.

Just so we’re all clear, I thought I’d let you know who everyone is sending to.

Desperatelyseekingcaffeine, you are sending your book to iloveredwine
Iloveredwine, you are sending your book to JennyWreny
JennyWreny, you are sending your book to jobnockey
Jobnockey, you are sending your book to Greenyogagirl
Greenyogagirl, you are sending your book to FlysInDreams
FlysInDreams, you are sending your book to acsec,
Acsec, you are sending your book to me
I am sending my book to Desperatelyseekingcaffeine (it will be in the post this afternoon!)

We’re each sending £2.50 worth of chocolate along with our books! Next month, we will each forward the book we received on to the next person (with more chocolate) once we have all read our original books.

Some great ideas there JennyWreny, I particularly like a novel bunch - any other votes?

Hope everyone has had a good weekend

FlysInDreams Mon 13-Jun-16 13:13:53

Book's in the post!

jobnockey Mon 13-Jun-16 15:13:31

I can't get to a post office until tomorrow I'm afraid but it's all packaged and ready to go!

JennyWreny Mon 13-Jun-16 15:40:01

Jobnockey I posted your parcel this morning, so keep an eye out in the next few days. I sent it first class because it was only a little bit more and I remembered that you have just finished your last book. It's also blooming long not the shortest book ever, so I thought the sooner you get it the best chance of finishing it before it needs to be sent on again. I hope you enjoy it, haven't already read it and like the chocolate.

Mariqui I think Novel Bunch is is the best of a bad bunch of those names! Most of them are totally cringeworthy. If anyone can think of any better ones, please do.

Greenyogagirl Mon 13-Jun-16 16:09:51

I'm having a very last minute crisis of whether to send this book or another book!
A book will be sent tomorrow morning though I promise!

iloveredwine Mon 13-Jun-16 16:43:42

JennyWreny book is in the post this afternoon for you. Sent it signed for just incase.

iloveredwine Mon 13-Jun-16 16:49:37

Oh and hope you haven't read it! Enjoy it and the chocolate

JennyWreny Mon 13-Jun-16 17:25:04

Thanks ilove I'm looking forward to seeing what you've picked.

Mariqui Mon 13-Jun-16 18:01:27

Desperatelyseekingcaffeine yours went out this afternoon, hope you like the book!

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Mon 13-Jun-16 18:06:53

ILoveredwine yours is ready to go will be posted tomorrow am. Getting excited for book and chocolate post to arrive!

iloveredwine Mon 13-Jun-16 18:50:34

Thank you desperately looking forward to it! Just finished my last book.

acsec Mon 13-Jun-16 21:42:23

Mariqui I had a stupidly long staff meeting this afternoon so didn't get to the post office today. I'll post it tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to receiving mine 😊

Mariqui Tue 14-Jun-16 10:48:23

No worries acsec
smile

champagneplanet Tue 14-Jun-16 11:06:59

Mariqui I have just sent you a PM smile

Mariqui Tue 14-Jun-16 11:57:03

Seen, thanks Champagneplanet. Have a chat with Unicorn1981 as per my message

Greenyogagirl Tue 14-Jun-16 13:28:40

Sent flysindreams xx

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Tue 14-Jun-16 13:35:18

Sent - hope you like iloveredwine

jobnockey Tue 14-Jun-16 13:52:48

Just sent mine 1st class greenyogagirl so you should get it soon - hope you enjoy it! Can't wait to see what my one from Jennywreny is... I managed to sneak in a short book which I should finish on my way home tonight so ideally yours will be waiting for me when I get home <hopeful>

FlysInDreams Tue 14-Jun-16 14:06:06

Thanks Yoga smile

FlysInDreams Tue 14-Jun-16 14:07:33

I sent mine first class yesterday, so could you let me know if you haven't got it by Thursday, acsec?

jobnockey Tue 14-Jun-16 14:11:47

What about the BAG Ladies book club? (Books Are Good)

*disclaimer: name stolen from someone else on the internet

Greenyogagirl Tue 14-Jun-16 14:27:06

I'm ridiculously excited!

JennyWreny Tue 14-Jun-16 14:39:41

I hope it's there when you get home Jobnockey. I've just realised the chocolate and book together may have made it too big to go through the letterbox sad. I really hope you haven't already read it . . . . . and that you don't hate me for how long it is

jobnockey Tue 14-Jun-16 14:59:09

don't worry the postman often leaves stuff with the neighbour when it can't go through letterbox... if not i'll just have to wait a bit longer!

I love a big book to get my teeth into as well... I am intrigued as to what it is!

iloveredwine Tue 14-Jun-16 15:26:34

Thank you desperately smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »