Reading Between The Wines - RatOnnaStick's book

(7 Posts)
RatOnnaStick Thu 05-May-16 19:54:09

I was given this to review on here last year. Its a slow burner but I found myself really engaging with the characters especially as the girls all grow up and older. Its based on historical fact but the central character is fiction I think, though the family she works for were real and so are some.of the events depicted.

The last chapter or two are nail-biting, the last few pages... Well.

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

Cunties Sat 07-May-16 10:21:31

Dh and Ds off to West Ham today so I've earmarked an afternoon of reading in the sun. Looking forward to it smile

Cunties Sun 08-May-16 19:48:53

Finished! A good read, one that makes me want to look into this subject more.

I did find that it could have been about a third smaller though, a few chapters were unnecessary fillers iukwim. Overall though a solid four stars from me smile

luckiestgirl Tue 30-Aug-16 18:16:41

I loved this book. Another one that a few pages in I've wanted to stop reading because I thought I wouldn't enjoy it, but I kept going (the joy of the book club is that you have to keep going!) and I'm so glad I did. But it's definitely a slow burner.

I don't agree though that it could have been shorter. I didn't get the feeling it was too long.

The characters were interesting and realistic enough that even though you know it is fiction, you are also constantly thinking that this is stuff that actually happened.

Really enjoyed it. Can anyone suggest other books similarly written?

Hadmeathello Thu 01-Sep-16 19:11:04

Just realised I didn't review this one last month. I've read it before and absolutely loved it. This author has written another book which is one of my all time favourites. I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone.

aristocat Mon 02-Jan-17 00:16:06

I have just sent this book on so will write this while I remember 😉
This was a lovely book which was easy to read. I was interested that the character H is from the authors imagination!
Sadly I had never heard of the Grimke sisters before (but what strong powerful women they must have been)

A very thought provoking book which was written beautifully and with such sensitivity
Thank You.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Mon 09-Jan-17 12:02:41

Read this book straight through over the weekend. At first glance I didn't expect to like it based solely on the fact that the endorsements on the front cover are from Good Housekeeping & Woman and Home. Being a total slattern I am not their target audience at all! However it was a fascinating story and well told. Keen to find out more about the incredibley Grimke sisters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now