Talk

Advanced search

Of Mice and Maltesers Two - Artifarti's book

(4 Posts)
artifarti Sat 31-Jul-10 12:10:17

I kept reading about this author and so when I found this book in a secondhand shop, I thought I'd give it a go. I really enjoyed it - it's a fairly light read but has a strong story and characters.

I won't say anything else now and will wait until people have read it...

RespectTheDoughnut Thu 02-Sep-10 20:10:51

I'm a bit confused about how I feel about this book. Partly I found it too 'obvious' - it felt like some things were supposed to be subtle but the author just didn't pull it off as such. The whole idea of the different perspectives clashing was a good one, and I liked the alternating chapters, but it wasn't as well-written as it might have been.

Having said that, I did find it to be quite engaging. I thought that the characters were well-developed with a strong sense of identity and consistency and the plot developed well.

I suppose overall I'd consider it a good 'holiday read' (& indeed finished it in Spain!) but nothing more serious than that, really. It's lack of technical excellence slightly irritated me (but then I am a literature student used to reading dreary, dreary texts which are technically amazing but matchstick-eyes material) but I liked it overall & had me reading it every night before bed.

artifarti Wed 29-Sep-10 20:04:33

That's interesting. I know what you mean about the obviousness but think that 'lack of technical excellence' may be a bit harsh!

I think you said it yourself - "dreary, dreary texts which are technically amazing but matchstick-eyes material" or "good holiday read [that] had me reading it every night before bed". It's the age-old debate about what makes a good book - would you rather take a Jilly Cooper or a Will Self on holiday? I know what I'd prefer. wink And I say all this as a former literature student, so know exactly what dreary books you mean! (Beowulf, I am talking about you.)

But, yes, I concede, not going to make it as one of the 1,000 books to read before you die (but then in my copy, Ali Smith's The Accidental is in there, which I thought was about the biggest waste of tree I had read for quite some time...)

Maria2007loveshersleep Mon 22-Nov-10 13:14:49

I just finished this book 2 days ago & thought I'd write my thoughts.

I found it, first of all, an engrossing, good read. I finished it very quickly & enjoyed reading it. So I'm definitely going to be buying the sequel ('My driver', I think it's called) & perhaps other books by Maggie Gee too.

The main character, Mary Tendo, I found quite scary to be honest! I don't know if it was just me but I kept expecting the book to turn into a full blown thriller / crime novel. I was expecting that it would end in a murder, perhaps Mary Tendo murdering Justin? I certainly didn't foresee the 'happy ending' (if we can call it that). In general, I found it strange that i reacted in the book in this way: it spooked me out & as I said I read it as a thriller, a confrontation to the death between Vanessa & Mary. When I looked at the reviews on Amazon & then also here (by artifarti & RespecttheDoughnut) I see others haven't read it in this way. So would be interested in discussing this aspect more.

Apart from Mary Tendo, who I thought was thoroughly unlikable & spooky (or, again, was it just me?) I also deeply disliked Vanessa who was pretentious, self-obsessed & just a sorrowful human being. Justin was more interesting to me, as was his dad, but one complaint I did have about the book was that we didn't really get a lot of info about Justin and his depression, it was just mentioned & described in general terms, but not really explored properly.

I learnt so much about Uganda through this book too. I kept googling different snippets of info about Uganda that came up in the book and as I said, I learnt a lot.

I thought the most enjoyable & well created aspect of the book was the different viewpoints about Africa- it was very interesting to hear about Uganda & life there from the point of view of Mary & then from the point of view of Vanessa. Very true to life, insightful, and fascinating.

All in all, a very good read. Yes perhaps it does lack 'technical excellence' but well, I don't think it's aiming to be that kind of novel, it's just a good work of fiction, a novel to read & enjoy on an everyday basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now