Talk

Advanced search

2nd mmc

(11 Posts)
GoodDaysBadDays Mon 24-May-10 18:58:34

My sister has had 2 mmc this year, first in Feb and 2nd this week.

I've had 2 mc myself but in between my children - pregnancies 2 and 4 and they were both completely different - 1st spontaneous labour and delivery at 16 weeks 2nd a mmc at 10w, hers are so similar and close together that we feel it may be a bigger problem.

She is ttc her first and is obviously worrying that there could be bigger issues and I just wondered if anyone had some experience or advice on this situation

Thanks

beanie35 Mon 24-May-10 21:10:57

Am so sorry to hear about your sister. I too have had two mmcs, eight months between each. They were both identical in symptoms, the gp will not test me until I have had a 3rd (something I find very upsetting, as Im sure anyone who has gone through an mc would.

Your sister is highly likely to be a able to cconcieve a third time with no problems. At least if she is unfortunate to have to go through another mc she will definately be tested fot possible reasons why. I wish her all the best.

GoodDaysBadDays Mon 24-May-10 22:58:41

Thanks Beanie

Sorry to hear about your mc's, she's also been told that if she suffers a third they will refer her for investigations, and no that's not something anyone wants to think about is it? Must be really tough for you sad

I was just wondering, I suppose, how common it is to have 2 mmc's in a row. After I had my first, I was surprised how many people I knew had had mc's. You just don't realise and I suspect the same can be said for multiple mc's.

Good Luck to you Beanie smile

Buckler Tue 25-May-10 19:11:45

I had two early mc's within 4 months of each other, no children either. I went to doctor and pleaded for help although he kept saying we'd just been unlucky he did eventually send me for two blood tests one for anthripholisid (not spelt right) this is supposed to be the main cause of early losses this came back negative. I then had a blood test which tested for thrombophillia and a thyroid function test. I had to really nag to get these done as the dr kept saying i was fine and didn't need them. They also did an ultrasound to check my ovaries. I would go back and nag it doesn't take much for the doctor to write out a form for a blood test and for you to have an ultrasound but it can have a great deal of effect on your personal well being. I told the doctor how scared both me and my dh were of trying again without tests and how down i was, the end of the day your sister's well being should be the main thing. I am pleased to say i'm now almost 31 weeks pregnant hopefully third time lucky still keep fingers crossed though just pleased to have passed the early weeks.

Sorry for rambling hope in some ways this may have helped.

Buckler Tue 25-May-10 19:14:44

forgot to add that the tests came back with no problems, this then made me feel so much better as when you have multiple losses you can't help thinking that your body can't do it.

chinook Tue 25-May-10 19:33:19

I have had 2 consecutive mmc's also 4 months apart. They were pregnancies 2 and 3 for me as I already had a dd. I was also told that I couldn't have any testing until I had another mc, though I was offered a scan at 8 weeks for any subsequent pregnancy. My gp also said the chance of having 2 mc in a row is 1 in 15 so not really that unusual. It is a horrible thing to go through and I am sorry your sister is having to suffer the pain and misery that goes with having a mc. I can give you a happy ending though because the result of pregnancy number 4 is 14 weeks old and asleep on my knee.

ticktockali Wed 26-May-10 21:00:21

Hi, I heartily feel your sisters anguish having also had a M/c last Septemeber and again this February. I pleaded with my doc to refer me for tests and was awaiting my period to arrive but alas it didn't and I'm currently 10wks pregnant.
To begin with I didn't even want to TTC again until I had tests done, fearing the worst would happen again.
If your sister falls preg again without having tests then her doc should refer her to the Early Pregnancy Unit where they will scan her at regular intervals. I have been scanned at 6wks 8wks and 10wks. I really had to kick up a fuss to get this but it's really, really helped me and my state of mind.

Best of luck to her and to all the other ladies on here.

GoodDaysBadDays Thu 27-May-10 08:04:30

Thanks ladies for the advice and positive responses! smile

Buckler Congratulations on your pregnancy, hope all goes well for you in the next few weeks. She has had her ovaries scanned several times in the past for other reasons and that has always come back ok. She has been told the same about test after 3 mc's and I think she's ok not to push for them at this stage.

Congratulations to you too chinook on your new arrival! The 1 in 15 figure is interesting and just shows how common this is. My sister was offered the early reassurance scan at 8 weeks, which is what confirmed the mmc last week

And Congratulations on your pregnancy ticktockali. You must have fought hard to get all those scans! Hope they have helped you through the early weeks. Good Luck with your preganancy

GoodDaysBadDays Tue 12-Jul-11 10:36:59

Just to update, I am sitting here with my sister gazing at my beautiful week old niece smile

Catsycat Tue 12-Jul-11 11:38:29

Many congratulations to you and your sister GoodDays. What a lovely outcome, and really thoughtful to update the thread! Very happy to read this - I just had a mc and it's nice to hear a hopeful story.

GoodDaysBadDays Tue 12-Jul-11 13:51:02

Sorry for you cats. It's bloody horrible isn't it? Look after yourself x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now