Talk

Advanced search

Help please... Strep infection

(6 Posts)
skinsl Tue 10-Nov-09 21:20:10

Just had phone call from doctors receptionist to say the doctor had written me a prescription for antibiotics.. following on from recent tests I had for miscarriage investigation. She says it is a strep infection, but doesn't say whether it is strep a or strep B. Doctor has gone home, will call me tomorrow!! Aarrgghh. What does this mean?
Is this related to miscarriages, has anyone ever heard of this being a cause. Done a search and found one link to miscarriage.

Husband still in work, mum away, sister away, need some advice!

sh77 Tue 10-Nov-09 23:37:14

Sorry for your loss skinsl.

Please check out gbss.org.uk re strep b. This is dangerous in the final weeks of pregnancy because as it can make babies seriously ill. My own baby died from infection. I have done extensive reading on strep b and have not come across anything on its link with miscarriage. In fact, swabbing for strep b is not really advised before 36 weeks as it can come and go even with anti biotics and it isn't thought to be a risk to baby in 1st and 2nd tris. That is not to say that infection cannot cause MC but I just don't know about it.

When you speak to your GP, please let us know what he says about this.

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 10-Nov-09 23:43:07

sorry for the hijack. i just wanted to say a hello to sh77. it's good to have you on board. i too had a baby with GBS infection, but we got lucky and he made a full recovery from ITU.
i find GBS threads difficult as usually people dismiss it as not worth worrying about.
i therefore tend not to post anymore as i find it too upsetting or frustrating.
i just wanted to let you know i've read a few of your posts on here and think your posts are really helpful to others.

sh77 Wed 11-Nov-09 13:47:49

Thank you nevergoogle. I really appreciate your comment. I am really glad that your baby recovered. You are both so so lucky the infection was identified. The labour ward was so packed and the midwives so rushed off their feet that I don't think they were looking out for anything bad.

Yes, I have been on other forums where women say that the strep b issue is blown out of proportion because of its rarity, however, risk figures don't mean anything to someone who experienced the worst of it. That is why I am so scared to have an ERPC - it is supposed to be straightforward bu I am scared something will go wrong.

skinsl Wed 11-Nov-09 18:16:10

sh77, I'm so sorry, that must be really difficult to overcome.. I can't imagine.
Hope you are doing ok?

Anyway turns out it wasn't a strep infection, it was a Staph infection, and as I have no symptoms they are going to do the test again. Stupid receptionist.

nevergoogledragonbutter Wed 11-Nov-09 20:10:36

good new skinsl.

DS1's GBS infection was picked up after a very poor start, not breathing at birth then grunting very soon after. Within an hour of being born he was taken off for swabs and a spinal tap. They had the diagnosis at around 24 hours old and starting him on meningitis doses of IV antibiotics.

At that point it was the first i'd ever heard of GBS. So any way of increasing awareness is good.

The risk figures don't mean a thing to those affected, you're absolutely right. They only serve to make you feel worse for being so unlucky and then you get the why me's? which quickly turn into post natal depression.

I'm so sorry for your loss sh77, I hope you are coping ok.

What is ERPC?

I had a planned c-section 2nd time and it all went very smoothly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now