Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal after miscarriage???

(9 Posts)
toffeemonster Tue 03-Nov-09 02:29:06

Hi,

I miscarried end of Aug begining of Sep this year @ 12 weeks, I had scan and internal scan and she said there was a little bit left and should pass over the weekend as I was still bleeding then, I bled for about 2-3 weeks in total then it stopped and I seemed fine.
Just over a week ago while at work!!! I was standing there and suddenly felt something warm running down my leg rushed to the toilet and I was bleeding it was like a huge gush (thank god I was wearing black trousers!!!) and I felt awful like I was going to pass out, the gush stopped and it contiuned just like a period but did pass a few small clots, now Im still bleeding and its been like 10/11 days now still the odd small clot but thankfully no more gushes. Ive had a lot of period pain and back ache which I dont normally get with my period.
I read the first perios after miscarriage is sometimes worse than normal, do you think this is the case with me or something worse?

Thanks in advanced

NumptyMum Tue 03-Nov-09 07:31:21

I'm very sorry to hear about your miscarriage, and obviously you must be pretty concerned about your ongoing bleeding.

I don't recall my first period after losing my baby at 15wks being that much heavier than normal, though I didn't have anything left to pass that I know of. I think for your own peace of mind you should contact a health professional, perhaps at the hospital where you had your scan? I hope you get some reassurance so you can sleep properly again (just noticing what time you posted your question!).

sfxmum Tue 03-Nov-09 07:39:46

Hi toffee sorry for your loss
a few years back I lost pregnancy at 12wks also but it was a blighted ovum (sac no baby)

I had a D&C and did not bleed much at all, about 6 wks after I had what you describe, a rush of blood but it slowed down over the afternoon, and it became a normal period on the heavy side

I don't know if bleeding for very long is normal but it was not my experience, do get it checked out just in case

annie51 Tue 03-Nov-09 11:35:05

Hi toffeemonster

Please go to a doctor just to make sure that you don't have an infection. I have had 6mc but it was after the birth of dd2 that I had retained products, they gave me a course of antibotics and discharged me. I had a scan after the course finished and was told that there was still products there but they would come away with my period. 3 months later I had to have a D & C as I had an infection and still the retained products, 5 of my mc have been since this and although the doctors say there is no connection I wonder.

toffeemonster Tue 03-Nov-09 14:54:11

Yes i guess your all right I should go to the doctors but Im so bloody scared of doctors and hospitals and terrified I might see someone I know and wonder what I will tell them, Im stupid I know grin
I know I should go for all the right reasons and coz I would be mortified if I bled everywhere again in public and wasnt wearing black trousers at the time!!

kanella Tue 03-Nov-09 20:15:34

Hi Toffeemonster

So sorry to read you story and for your loss. I have gone through exactly the same as you last month, I had never heard of anyone experiencing it before I read your thread.

I had a mmc late July, early august, a month after you. I was hospitalised for 3 days because my bleeding was so heavy, I wasn't given an option so just let things happen naturally. I was scanned and sent home. I bled for 2 months, I kept going to my doctor was given antibiotics and he even tried to give me hormone tablets. Finally a month ago I was at the end of my thether with all the bleeding. Walking home from work one day, I felt a gush, I thought I had wet myself, the blood was all over the place. Luckily I was near my doctor so went straight there in such a mess. 20 minutes later I was in an ambulance. In A&E they discovered lots of products still left in, I was then sent home the next day and went back a few days later for a scan. the scan revealed more products inside so I had an EPRC the next day. I thoought I had my period but the doctor said it wasn't as I wasn't clear of everything inside. Within 2 weeks I had my period and could finally try to move forward. Luckily you were wearing black trousers, I wasn't as lucky. I also became paranoid that it would happen again and carried maternity pads around for a few weeks but after the op I felt a bit more confident. I hope you get sorted as well. You really need an scan, your story sounds so similar to mine. Take care x

annie51 Fri 06-Nov-09 15:43:01

Hi toffeemonster
How did you get on.

pruneplus2 Tue 10-Nov-09 00:16:00

Hiya. I lost a lot of blood whilst miscarrying for the 2nd time this year in july and was hospitalised, but scan few days later showed all clear. I then bled, quite heavily, for 4 weeks.

I had a week with no bleeding, then started my period - I was stood washing up at the time and felt a huge gush (my trampy old leggings had to be thrown out!) I bled very very heavily with a few small clots for about 5 days, which is unusual for me.

My cycle now appears to have settled and September and October were bang on time and back to normal flow and length.

This month was different, no period has turned up - I am around 5 weeks pregnant again and absolutely terrified. But thats for another thread!

xxx

toffeemonster Tue 10-Nov-09 14:50:02

Hi

I am ashamed to say I have still not been to the doctors and I am still bleeding 2 weeks and 4 days on, this is suppost to be my first period after my miscarriage. It is not so much blood any more but brownish red gooey discharge and it not heavy but definatly need to use sanitary towels.
I will go tomorow i promise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now