Talk

Advanced search

Hosp appt

(12 Posts)
skinsl Tue 27-Oct-09 13:51:04

Does anyone have any tips for what to expect for 1st appt to investigate following 2 early miscarriages? Have appt on Thurs and very nervous.

lulu78 Tue 27-Oct-09 14:29:25

Hi skinsl - I havent had any tests myself, I am waiting for my appointment for investigating which is on 5th November. I have had 3 early m/c now.

I posted a similar heading to yours and couple of ladies got back to me and said the 1st appointment will be going over my m/c details, cycles, pain etc then they may take 3-4 blood tests and then 8wks later take another lot of bloods, I think 1 lady said they also do a smear test??. Hope this helps I think every hospital is different.

Your lucky they are testing after 2 they told me I had to have 3 m/c for them to investigate and then when I had my 3rd which was only 2wks ago the nurse said because all m/c have been different they wouldnt test. I went to my doctor and she referred me.

Hope all goes well, please keep me updated on what they done. x x

lulu78 Tue 27-Oct-09 14:32:36

*Getting some tests for recurrent miscarriages - Don't know what to expect - Im Scared*

skinsl - This was my heading - Have a look to see what the other ladies wrote

skinsl Tue 27-Oct-09 15:59:05

thanks lulu, that helps.
yeah, epu said was too early for investigation, but nice gp referred me. Also a bit worried in case there is any physical damage, as DS was a pretty traumatic birth, and time really not on my side. good luck with your tests, will let you know how I get on.

skinsl Fri 30-Oct-09 08:21:51

Went for tests yesterday, just thought I would post to update. After waiting over an hour and getting very worked up....and thinking they had referred me to the wrong dept and it was going to be a waste of time... the doctor was lovely... talked through all the possible reasons. Discussed all the things that they test for.. had very brief examination, and swab, just like smear,9 vials of blood given and 2 from husband, and scan for uterus booked for today.
results in 10 days.
Feel a lot better thinking that something is being done.
They did say that in all likelihood the tests would come back clear and it's probably just nature.
Not sure whether I want them to find something that could be fixed, or find nothing and just hope next time works out.

juliet2 Fri 30-Oct-09 15:32:04

my daughter as got a hosp on 24th nov following mcs,she been told to take a gown wiv her just wondering wat they are going to be doing,xx

skinsl Tue 03-Nov-09 07:57:46

I'm sure in each hospital the process is slightly different, but I would just imagine she would be having a scan, and examination. Maybe it's easier in that hospital for them to wear a gown. x

juliet2 Tue 03-Nov-09 17:30:16

Thanks skinsl she really nervous as to wat they going to do but cant wait either iyswim,it doesnt say anything about her bf going wiv her,thought they would have taken some blood off of him as well,but he going to come anyway,lets hope they get to the bottom of it.xx

lulu78 Tue 10-Nov-09 12:56:41

hi skinsl - I had my 1st appointment last week and the consultant only went over past history. I have to go back with my partner for some bloods for chromosomal abnormalites(excuse the spelling) which I am going to do this week and then 6wks later some more bloods to be tested for clotting and hormones and a scan for my uterus. I have to wait 6wks as I only had my d&c 2 days before my appointment and the consultant said I had to wait until the pregnancy was completley out my body and I am back to normal. They didnt request to take a swab tho, do you think I should ask? I then go back in February for the results which I think is a long time to wait but didnt question at the time. I am glad you have had most of yours done now and you are just waiting for your results. Good luck and please keep me posted. x x

lulu78 Tue 10-Nov-09 13:07:06

juliet2 - My partner didn't go with me to my first appointment because he was ill. They will probably request your daughters bf to go back when he is free for blood tests but I doubt he will need to see the consultant. Me and my partner are going back this week for some blood tests but we dont have to see the consultant, we go to the blood test ward and my consultant has already filled the envolpe the blood tests get sent off in so the nurses know what tests to do. It will probably be similar. But all hospitals differ. Good luck to your daughter. x x

skinsl Tue 10-Nov-09 21:13:22

Lulu- maybe the swab needs to be done when you are back to normal too.I would ask for it.
I just had a call from the docs which has thrown me completely. receptionist called and said we have a prescription here for you following as a result of your recent swab result. turns out I have a strep infection, but she couldnt give me any more details! So don't know if it is Strep A or Strep B. She is going to get the doctor to call me tomorrow.
What the hell does this mean?
Have searched for strep and found one link to miscarriages... really don't know where to turn now.

lulu78 Wed 11-Nov-09 13:34:47

Hi skinsl - Not good news.
Im no expert but I think it will be more than likely Step B Infection, I think Strep A is to do with the throat and skin infection. I may be wrong tho. I think Strep b is more dangerous later on in pregnancy 35+wks. I don't it's very professional the receptionist giving you the news without telling you if it is A or B and even so your doc should of contacted you, he's passed the buck there. Anyway, I hope it's nothing to serious and I think with the right course of antibiotics it will clear up quickly.

Good Luck. x x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now