Talk

Advanced search

Could it be a mistake?

(6 Posts)
PLHS Mon 26-Oct-09 13:22:26

Hi everyone, I have never been on a forum before but just wanted to ask a question.

In the early weeks of pregnancy I attended the Early Pregnancy Clinic due to some severe pain I was having and it was expected that I had an Ectopic Pregnancy. A scan revealed this was not the case and I was asked to come back a couple of weeks later to check for a heartbeat. I did and thankfully everything was still progressing as it should, but no heartbeat. Another week later (last Friday) I returned and this time only had a scan on my tummy, not internal so thought this confirmed everything was okay. The results showed that had been further development, including that a heart could be seen but no heartbeat. They said it is now CRL 7mm (?) which means there will not be a heartbeat now and so I have had an Incomplete Miscarriage.

I work out I should be about 7 weeks pregnant at most. Some websites say that only an internal scan would pick up a heartbeat at this stage, but the sonographer felt it was not worth doing an internal scan because she could see the heart but it was not beating. Why would it continue to grow to this stage and this bit not happen? I have decided to wait a couple of weeks to see if "nature takes its course" although if nothing happens I know I will have to choose between the Surgical or Medical options! I do not know which to do and keep thinking could it be a mistake???

thatsnotmymonster Mon 26-Oct-09 13:29:48

Sorry, I have no idea. I think it is most likely to be just wishful thinking on your part, understandably. I think we would all feel the same.

I think most scans can pick up a heartbeat from 6 weeks and the fact that she could see the heart...

I don't know why it has grown though sad

Big hugs (unMN)

Heebeejeebee Mon 26-Oct-09 13:30:11

Hi there PLHS - sorry to hear you're going through this. I've had 2 mc's and it's a horrible time.

My second m/c was very similar to yours - at first they thought things were just progressing slowly as everything was there, but they couldn't find a heartbeat. However I think my last (internal) scan was at either 8 or 9 weeks before they eventually said to me that that was it (I'd had internal scans at 6, 7, and 8-9 weeks)

I did, however, ask to have some bloods taken and knew before the final scan that things weren't going well as the HCG was rising but too slowly for it to be a continuing pregnancy. Can you ask your dr/early pregnancy midwife for a couple? I think you would only need 2 as the HCG is supposed to double over 24 hours..

FWIW both times I had the ERPC - the first time I was going to let nature take its course but had an emergency ERPC, the 2nd time my consultant did it for me using my private medical insurance. If you have any questions, am happy to answer them..

PLHS Mon 26-Oct-09 16:58:17

Thank you both for your thoughts

I think it is wishfull thinking but just wanted to ask. I have had some blood tests, but now called the clinic to see if I have can have another scan in a week or so before I go through with anything which they agreed to so that will finally sort.

Not sure if to go medical or surgical if nature does not do it, Heebeejeebee how did you get on with the ERPC?

Scatt Mon 26-Oct-09 17:57:26

Hi PLHS,

I hope you don't mind me joining in here. I'm really sorry to hear your news its a really hard thing to go through especially if you feel uncertain that you have all the information.

I had an ERPC today, having found out last week I had miscarried with no symptoms. I had a natural miscarriage at home earlier in the year. I opted for hospital so I didn't have to wait or go through it again at home. I found the staff all incredibly sensitive and somehow their care validated our sense of loss. Whereas last time going through it at home it was barely acknowledged or talked thourgh with me.

It's an incredibly personal decision though. A couple of ladies have written posts about their visits to hopstal for an ERPC (not gorely details, more practical information) and I found them quite reassuring to read beforehand and my experience very similar.

I hope this information helps you in some way at this tough time.

Scatt

Heebeejeebee Tue 27-Oct-09 15:44:14

Hi there

Scatt - so sorry to hear you're going through this too.

I agree with Scatt - personally, the care I received both times was excellent. The first time was an emergency in the early hours of the morning, but everyone was very sensitive and I was kept on the gynae ward, so well away from maternity etc.

The second time was private (using my medical insurance) and my NHS consultant did it for me - as I'm seeing her for fertility treatment I thought she would take good care of me. I don't know if they had assumed I would want to do this, but they had already looked at the NHS waiting times before I'd had the scan.. After both EPRCs I started bleeding/spotting a couple of days after the op, which lasted for about 7 days. I felt tired, and drained and tender, but went back to work after a week, I seem to remember.

I think you are absolutely right to have the scan - it is a terrible enough time as it is, without wondering 'what if'..

I probably haven't touched on anything you actually want to know, so please do ask if there's anything else - I really don't mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now