Talk

Advanced search

2 mmc, what's the chance of 3rd

(3 Posts)
Scatt Fri 23-Oct-09 19:20:22

Hi,

I've just found out I've had a 2nd mmc at 7 weeks. I had one at 5 weeks in March. The nurse at the EPU said since they were at different times, it's not a pattern and I'm just really unlucky. True or not it's not helping, does anyone know what the actual chances of this happening for a 3rd time are? Aren't they increased once you've had two? I just can't believe this has happended, 1 I thought I could deal with one but I was never prepared for a 2nd. I have a wee boy already but I so want another baby but I can't keep doing this to myself.
I'm not in a very good place just now I know. I've not even bled, I don't have surgery til Wed and yesterday I was pregnant and today I'm not.
some hope please!
Scatt

kissmummy Fri 23-Oct-09 21:13:32

hi there scatt i totally understand how you're feeling and my heart goes out to you. I have one little boy, he's two. I never had any miscarriages before he came along. When he was one year old I had a miscarriage at about seven weeks. Like you I dealt with it okay - i thought it was just one of those things. Then i went on to have a second miscarriage. Again, i just about coped though it was a blow, but it seemed just double bad luck. Then i had a third, which was devastating, and now a fourth. And now i'm really, really scared. All this is not to frighten you, but just to say i totally understand how you feel. i think the chances of having three miscarriages in a row are something like 1 in 1000, from memory (lesley regan's book). If that's not the exact figure it is something like that - ie its *very unlikely* it will happen to you again. I know how utterly desolating it is when it happens again, when you'd been thinking the first one was just a one off. but statistically the chances are your next pregnancy will be fine. there is a reason the NHS doesn't investigate until you've had three in a row. It's because two miscarriages in a row are not that unusual. it's absolutely crap but you have every reason to be positive, specially since you have proven you can do it, as you already have a son.

EldonAve Fri 23-Oct-09 21:45:31

Your chance of mc is still the same as someone who has had no mcs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now