Talk

Advanced search

Placental Abruption

(8 Posts)
LunaticFringe Fri 18-Sep-09 21:16:58

Message withdrawn

Sidge Fri 18-Sep-09 21:36:45

I'm so sorry for your loss sad

I had a placental abruption with DD2. I didn't lose her but she was very poorly and has probable brain damage.

I have since had DD3 and all was well - I received a couple of extra scans and had an elective section. The obstetricians had no idea why I abrupted with DD2 as I had none of the risk factors. They think I had developed a clot behind the placenta which caused it to shear away.

You may want to make an appointment to discuss your case with the consultant obstetrician and hopefully s/he can answer your questions and offer you reassurance regarding any subsequent pregnancies.

All the best.

pushmepullyou Fri 18-Sep-09 21:53:26

I am so sorry, what a terrible thing to happen sad.

A good friend of mine has just had a DS following a previous placental abruption where she lost her DD. Obviously I don't know all the details, but I know she was cleared to ttc about 4 months after her loss. Her consultant told her that she was considered to be at higher risk of an abruption than someone that had never suffered from one and that she would have frequent checks and would be admitted if she had any 3rd trimester bleeding. However, he did say that the fact she already had 1 DD meant that she was lower risk than someone that had never had a successful pregnancy. I think she was also told to avoid unnecessary exertion in the 3rd trimester.

Good luck for the future. It is very un-mumsnetty but on a different forum I would offer a hug!

pushmepullyou Fri 18-Sep-09 21:53:57

In fact I will offer one anyway. Mumsnet be damned!

Owlingate Sat 19-Sep-09 17:37:42

So sorry to hear this. We lost our baby girl following what we later found out was a partial placental abruption which led to rupture of membranes (I didn't go go into premature labour but had some bleeding, she died a week later and I was induced).

Ask for tests for thrombophilia - clotting disorders can be a risk factor for placental abruption )I have a clotting problem and in my current pg have to inject blood thinners and take aspirin. I have heard from other people from SANDS that even if your clotting tests are negative, low dose aspirin may be advised.

I have had scans every 2-4 weeks, blood thinners as I have already said, have been taking it really really easy. You should still get extra care even if you have one child already - I have a DC and it seems that my clotting prob got worse after my first pg.

It is hideaously nerve-wracking being pregnant again but I'm told abruption is very unlikely to reoccur.

LunaticFringe Sat 19-Sep-09 19:55:03

Message withdrawn

hermione2001ie Fri 02-Oct-09 10:08:36

Hi Lunatic and everyone else,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you're getting good support.

I had a big placental abruption at 37+5 with my son 2 1/2 years ago. Thankfully, we were both ok but it was a very close shave.

I am currently 29+1 weeks pregnant. I am aiming for a VBAC this time, though I am under consultant care. I had an extra scan at 23 weeks to look for 'notches' I think...though I'm not entirely clear what they are. I haven't been offered aspirin, though there was some mention of it in my consultant's notes. Because there was no evidence of 'notches' present at the 23 week scan I am back under midwife care and not seeing them any more than I would if I had had no previous problems, which, I find a bit odd. It feels like I'm being left to my own devices to report any symptoms. My abruption with my son was associated (they think but can't say with absolute certainty)with hypertension and preecclampsia. Thus far my BP is low (which is what it is normally) I had thought that I would be monitored on a weekly basis but I've only seen a midwife 4 times since becoming pregnant (that includes booking in), consultant twice and haven't seen the GP at all. I assume this is because they can't accurately predict how likely it is to happen again or if it would be detected. However, I think the level of care you'd receive in a subsquent pregnancy would depend on the cause and outcome of your previous abruption. If you have had a loss, then your subsequent baby will be catergorised as a 'precious baby' ( though they all are, right?!)in which case, the path of care might be different.

My sympathies go to all of you who have had an abruption. In fact, you're the first people I've 'met' who have had one and I don't know about you, but I feel like some kind of obstetric freak as on a day to day basis I've never met anyone who has been through the horrors of a major abruption.

I don't usually come on Mumsnet, I'm just researching an essay (I'm training to be an antenatal teacher and have to debrief my birth experiences...not fun but necessary if I'm going to be able to talk about placental abruptions in general and not dissolve into tears). I wish you all the best of luck with your subsequent pregnancies x

LunaticFringe Fri 02-Oct-09 20:28:42

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now