Talk

Advanced search

ERPC booked for next Tues but mc started naturally yesterday

(10 Posts)
waspylady Thu 17-Sep-09 10:33:48

I phoned the EPU and they said I still have to go for the ERPC appt. Seems a bit silly as the mc is def underway.....has anyone had a similar experience?

CMOTdibbler Thu 17-Sep-09 10:35:53

I think that it is a good idea to go, as they can scan you and check that your uterus is empty, and do the ERPC if not.

I'm really sorry that you are going through this

NinthWave Thu 17-Sep-09 10:38:07

Sorry for your loss waspylady. I had a mc last week so you have my sympathy.

They may want you to come in so they can make sure everything has 'come away' - how many weeks pg are you? Keep an eye on your bleeding - if you are using more than one pad in an hour, give the EPU a ring as they may want you to come in.

I was 11 weeks pg and wanted to stay at home an mc naturally, but unfortunately my blood loos was very severe and I had to go to A&E. I don't want to scare you as this is NOT the norm (even the gynae doctor was shocked at how much blood I was losing!) but if you feel dizzy/faint/like you need pain relief, please go to hospital.

Best wishes X

mynameis Thu 17-Sep-09 10:40:55

So sorry to hear your news waspylady.

I went through the same thing in July this year
I still kept the EPC appointment and had a scan to check my uterus.

In a way it was a reassurance as they said I had follicles in my ovaries and that they looked normal so no obvious problems for the future.

x

carott Thu 17-Sep-09 10:45:54

Hello
Sorry to hear you are going through this. I have been through the same thing in August. I had a natural miscarriage, then they did a scan and there was still a small bit left so it was up to me whether or not to have the ERPC. I was advised to have the op to clear everything out properly - good if you want to conceive again and avoid complications... hope that helps. Then again it is possible a scan will show everything has gone anyway. x

waspylady Thu 17-Sep-09 11:20:51

Thank you everyone. I guess I'm just so nervous about the general anaesthetic and having an op that I wanted them to cancel that bit and just have a scan.......I also have to go for blood tests this week to prepare for op and was hoping to avoid that too...

Bleeding is heavy but not out of control (so far) but you are right it is probably best to double check.

I should have been 7+5 when I found out about the mmc but I think it happened some time before that but noone has been specific...

jeee Thu 17-Sep-09 11:24:43

I passed many large clots (the size of my hand), and believed that the miscarriage was over, but when scanned it turned out that everything was still in situ - I eventually had a natural miscarriage a week after the scan, and 2 weeks after the clots. So I think you do need the scan. Best wishes.

NinthWave Thu 17-Sep-09 19:10:54

The general anaesthetic is really not too bad - it is quite a light dosE, as the op only takes about 15 mins, and although I felt groggy afterwards I was OK after a few hours' sleep.

I was scared too (petrified in fact) but the nurses/anaesthetist/surgeon were all so lovely and reassuring. I am sure yours will be too, if you need to have the op.

NinthWave Sat 19-Sep-09 09:30:13

Hope you are doing OK waspylady X

waspylady Sat 19-Sep-09 10:34:56

Hi NinthWave

Thank you for asking
I went to the hospital yesterday for the blood test to prepare for ERPC and the nurse said that she now recommended 'conservative management' ie doing nothing as it has already started. So she cancelled ERPC and booked follow-up scan for 2 weeks time.
I went back home and started to have the most awful pain and heavy bleeding which went on all afternoon. I thought I was going mad as had taken loads of painkillers but was still in terrible pain.
But then after about 4 hours it died down and now although I'm still bleeding it is less and I don't have any pain.
Just off to a different hospital now as my Dad had a stroke this week whilst I was at my hospital appts in London. It's not been my best week......
But I'm hoping the worst is over now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now