Talk

Advanced search

Is this a miscarriage

(7 Posts)
Murphy23 Wed 16-Sep-09 21:50:34

Hello!

I haven't posted a topic before but I'm really hoping for some wise advice - everyone seems so knowledgable!

I (hope) I am 9 week pregnant. Started getting slight brown bleeding on Saturday with period pains and some pain on the lower left side. To cut a very long story short I was sent to the emergency doctor who felt that I might have a urine infection.

Visited the hospital on Monday as it was a little worse and they carried out various tests and a scan. I was convicned I'd lost the baby but to my delight and complete surprise they were able to pick up a strong heartbeat via an internal scan. They could not find a reason for the bleeding though. Said everything looked fine.

Well its now Wednesday night and the period type pains have all but gone but I am still losing some brown blood that's turning a little pink, although only in the evening. Not enough to stain a pad or knickers but that might be because I go to the loo so often!!

The hospital told me not to worry and to ring again in a week if things are the same or worse. I'm worried though!!

Has anyone had anything similar or does this sound to anyone like the beginning of a miscarriage? The heartbeat gave me hope but I'd like to be prepared.

I already have a 21 month old and had no problems with that pregnancy so this is unexpected!

Help!

LynetteScavo Wed 16-Sep-09 21:55:00

Oh it's so hard to tell! sad

I had bleeding in two pregnancies and everything was fine.

Try to focus on the positve...you've seen a heartbeast. Do you still feel pg?

Murphy23 Wed 16-Sep-09 22:00:51

So difficult to know. I didn't get morning sickness with my first and its been the same this time. Only signs for me in the first few months were excessive loo visits - still the same and largish though not tender boobs, again that's still the same.

LynetteScavo Wed 16-Sep-09 22:24:00

If the hostpital told you not to worry, then try not to.

They always prepared me for the worst.

when is your next scan, in three weeks?

pinkmagic1 Wed 16-Sep-09 22:27:53

Normally they say if its brown blood, its old blood and not cause for concern. Also I had very heavy bright red bleeding at about 18 weeks into my 2nd pregnancy and went on to have a healthy DD. Try not to worry, easier said than done I know.

Murphy23 Wed 16-Sep-09 22:30:21

Thank you for your kind words. I'm hoping the heartbeat is a good sign - doesn't the risk of mc drop dramatically if you see a heartbeat?

Yes my next scan is in 2 weeks. They said everything was too small to date accurately particually for the nucal scan. That made me feel hopeful!!

I'm just concerned - if brown blood is old blood shouldn't it have stopped by now?

Don't know if I should make a pest of myself and bother the doctor again but I guess they can't tell me anything new.

sparklykendall Mon 28-Sep-09 14:42:00

Hi murphy?
Can I ask how you have got in since your last post? I'm also going through something very similiar. Had brown spotting last weekend which then turn into a light brown discharge (sorry for TMI) which was worse in the morning and then petered out by the end of the day. Stopped last wednesday only to start again on Thursday with a bit of red/brown blood. Then on Sunday had a lot of discharge in the morning and when I went to bed, had some bright red blood on the tissue. Seems to have disappeared again but with some very dark brown disharge (but only a tiny amount) when I wipe. Have booked in for a scan tomorrow (I'm 6 weeks and 3 days). Not sure if reading posts are helping me or not as everyone seems to be different but it's driving me insane with worry now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now