Talk

Advanced search

Infection after miscarriage

(28 Posts)
cori Wed 01-Jun-05 15:34:41

Has ayone suffered infections, or retained tissue after a miscarriage.?
How I am starting to really worry that this might affect my future fertility in some way.

I had a miscarriage at 17 weeks almost 5 weeks ago. I was induced and was told that I had delivered the placenta in tact and that I didnt need a D&C. I had bleeding on and off for a couple of weeks, however it was unusual in the sense that some days it was really heavy and then other days it was a brownish coloured , the GP gave me antibiotics to clear up a possible infection and the bleeding stopped. However after about 10 days (on Monday)I started to pass a small amount of brownish tissue. I had a scan and was told that some tissue was still in the uterus, but not enough to do a D&C. I was put on more antibiotics and sent home. I was told I would naturally pass the tissue but it just happened yet. I havent had AF yet either.

slotnicki Wed 01-Jun-05 21:59:15

Unfortunately, I've had 4 m/cs, 3 of which ended with an ERPC (like a D&C). On all 3 occasions, I had to have a second ERPC, as I continued to bleed - sometimes for as long as 3 months.

I seem to remember that it was red as opposed to brown blood. I had to keep going for scans. In my case, it seems likely that there was a lot of blood left in my uterus, which is not the same as tissue. However if I was you, I would keep going back to your GP, so that you are referred back to the hospital and the hospital continues to monitor you. In my own case, the hospital never took the bleeding very seriously and could not see that it was very depressing to me. It was only by continually going back that the problem was ever addressed.

Hope this is helpful

Orinoco Wed 01-Jun-05 22:30:44

Message withdrawn

penpal Thu 02-Jun-05 16:05:08

Cori, I was due at about the same time as you. I had a miscarriage at 17+5 although wasn't induced until 18+5. I passed the baby quite easily (physically not emotionally!!) but had retained placenta. I haemorraged quite a bit so had a scan the next day and ended up in theatre having a ERPC. Whole thing took 2 and a half days in hospital. Was on a drip for fluids as I couldn't eat or drink in case of needing surgery, which I had in the end anyway. I bled a lot in the first 2 weeks, then on and off for the next week sometimes quite heavy. The hospital have told me that it's extremely unlikely that any products/tissue is left, it will be just blood/clots and will stop.

How are you coping emotionally? I've just about been able to face people although I still shop in a different supermarket and take my DD and DS to a different park!! Bad days and not so bad days but I get an overwhelming sadness at sometime every day.

cori Thu 02-Jun-05 16:18:58

Hi Penpal,
I thought I was coping OK, went back to work last week, but now I feel that this is never going to end. SO have been a bit of an emotional wreck again.
I just want my body to get back to normal to so I can TTC again, but it wont. Still no AF and It is almost 5 weeks now.
I have taken this week of work and probably be off next week too.
I havent had anymore bleeding since Monday evening so that means that the tissue still remains, whilst its still there I remain at risk of infection.
My poor little DS still asks if there 'is a baby in your tummy' when I say no he says 'baby come back soon'

charleepeters Thu 02-Jun-05 16:20:03

i had an infection after my m/c they did a scan and didnt say anything about it but after about a month i got a worsening back and stomach ache only to find out that i had had an infection all that time and my dr didnt bother to tell me, i was horrifed and livid but it cleared up after antibiotics. soory to here your going through this, i know it just not what you want anythime let alone after loosing your baby, hugs to you i hope you feel better.

cori Thu 02-Jun-05 16:34:11

Charleepeeters,
I hope you dont mind me asking, but did you go on to have more children.?

Azure Thu 02-Jun-05 17:12:07

So sorry to hear about your m/c Cori. When I m/c at 12 weeks (so a lot earlier than you) it took about 3 months for the bleeding / brown discharge to stop. The worst time was when an AF was due, i.e. around 4 weeks and 8 weeks after the m/c. I then passed a lot of blood and clots - I remember rushing to the loo at work feeling the trickle down my leg (sorry for TMI). I felt my GP didn't take me seriously at all - he just said that it was "unlikely but normal" for it to go on and on. I did go on a course of antibiotics, but no infection was really detected. I didn't manage to get a scan until after 3 months, when it had cleared up. It is so very traumatic when the m/c seems to go on and on - I was a complete emotional wreck as well and can understand what you are going through. If I had my time again I would want a scan earlier and an ERPC if needed. FWIW I am now 28 weeks pregnant, so it is possible to carry on. Take care of yourself.

cori Thu 02-Jun-05 20:46:59

Azure,
That is good news.
I had been getting the impression that most people AF returned at around 4- 6 weeks.
I understand that my periods wont be back to normal for a while. I dont think my 'infection' is really serious as my temp is not very high and have no other symptoms such as pain etc. Still it is worrying.
How long did it take for you to get pregnant after your miscarriage.

charleepeters Thu 02-Jun-05 20:51:20

i am trying to have another now, only been trying a month so dont know how easy it will be.

cori Thu 02-Jun-05 20:54:59

How long ago was your miscarriage.?
How many weeks were you?
Have you joined the TTC after miscarriage thread, lots of support on there.
Good Luck

Azure Thu 02-Jun-05 20:58:38

Cori, I was very unlucky as it took 9 months to get pregnant again, then I m/c at 8 weeks. I have to say that my second m/c was nowhere near as bad physically as the first, and I bled for under 2 weeks. I got pregnant 2 months after that m/c and that is the one I'm holding onto now. Best of luck to you.

charleepeters Thu 02-Jun-05 20:59:58

i was only 9 weeks it was 2 years ago i got pg 3 mothns later now have my ds, so theres hope good luck xxx

Orinoco Thu 02-Jun-05 21:03:22

Message withdrawn

cori Thu 02-Jun-05 21:24:50

2 months worth of antibiotics sounds like a lot.
Were you very ill.?

Orinoco Thu 02-Jun-05 21:33:30

Message withdrawn

penpal Sat 04-Jun-05 00:13:32

Hi, fyi Cori, I had a early miscarriage at 7/8 weeks pregnant a few years ago. And I can say hand on heart it was very hard to come to terms with but nowhere near this one on a physical or emotional scale. I didn't have a D&C or ERPC, no intervention at all. I just 'lost' the tissue as you would an AF. I found that very hard as I felt that everytime I had a pee I lost a part of my baby that could have grown. I fell pregnant 2 cycles after that and my beautiful son is now 2 and a half. I think a lot of my sorrow at the moment is that this this pregnancy hadn't been pre-planned (although we took no protection against it!!) but my husband took a while to accept it. After a few weeks he was more excited than me, then just when you settle down thinking you're over the miscarriage hurdle - bham. I really feel sad, a huge overwhelming sorrow. The physical side has settled down although I still have some 'loss' whatever it is. It's now 3 weeks, they told me that AF would likely be 4-6 weeks but I know it could be sooner, or a lot later. They can't tell me that.

I met my husband late and married late but we did start our family straight away. I've got two beautiful children DD age 6 and DS age 2 and (a very busy) half. I know that's more than some wish for but I really really really wanted my third baby. I felt it was so right for us.

So, yes, there is hope after miscarriage. Not for me sadly, feel slightly 'out to pasture' as it's so final. I just love babies...........

cori Sat 04-Jun-05 10:13:26

How old are you penpal? are you certain there will be no more?
I am 35, any worry that pops into mind seems to overtake me now.

I am starting to feel a bit more positive though. AF arrived on Thursday night, it has been very heavy but I suppose that is to be expected.
Wondering whether I should have another week off work.

HellKat Sun 05-Jun-05 18:37:35

Cori- I had a d&c after mc on 26th April this year. Had to go back into hosp on Friday because I was bleeding and in pain (had numerous positive pg test results). Had 2nd d&c Saturday night due to infected retained products. We were'nt too happy to find out that they were well and truly stuck (am hoping there's no long term damage).

cori Sun 05-Jun-05 19:11:39

Scary isnt it?
I am in the middle of AF so hopefully the tissue has passed. Have another scan on Tuesday to check.

HellKat Mon 06-Jun-05 05:41:41

Very.
How are you feeling?

cori Mon 06-Jun-05 12:53:05

Not too bad, Dont think the infection has passed though as I still have a bit of a temperature. Finish antibiotics tomorow and am going to hospital for another scan to see if there is any tissue remaining.

HellKat Mon 06-Jun-05 22:30:08

I finished mine tonight and had results through. No ectopic and hormone levels are dropping! Seems they finally got rid of everything.
If your temp does'nt go when you've finished anti-biotics, mention it to the dr. How long have you been on them?

cori Wed 08-Jun-05 14:02:55

Hi, went to hospital yesterday for a scan , everything has passed and uterus back to normal there.
Still have a bit of a temperature though according to the hospital. The hospital uses a high tech digital ear thermometer which shows a temp of 37.8 but my thermometer shows 36.8 dont know which one to believe.

spacecadet Wed 08-Jun-05 15:35:21

cori, if its any consolation when i hadmy stillbirth 15 yearsago i had retained products and delevoped such a severe infection i ended up in hospital for 3 days had a scrape etc andwas sent home with 4 lots of anti-biotics, however, af returned v quickly and i was preg again within a couple of months! i had a healthy girl that time, so try not to worry, i have actually had pelvic inflammatory desease after one of my other misscarriages but i still have 4 healthy children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now