Talk

Advanced search

Did my GP miss my 'missed miscarriage'?

(3 Posts)
BayeauxT Sun 09-Aug-09 22:04:34

Hi, after ERPC last week (missed miscarriage discovered at 12 week scan) I had a chance to look through my file and saw results of the HCG blood tests I'd had done when I was 6 weeks (when I had some light spotting) - was 76,000 and second taken 4 days later was 107,000... all I was told at time was that the levels had gone up and it was a "viable" pregnancy - I didn't think to ask what the levels were. Now have been looking into it and seems that at 6 weeks it should double every 3-4 days - which obviously it didn't. Would you raise it with the GP? I am OK about the actual miscarriage I think but struggling with the idea that I have "wasted" 6 weeks thinking I was pg when my scan showed it was all over at 6 weeks anyway... (getting on a bit so the clock is ticking!) Am I barking up the wrong tree do you think? Does it matter?

CMOTdibbler Mon 10-Aug-09 09:24:34

I think that because they went up quite a lot in the 4 days, they would normally consider that to be a viable pregnancy, so they didn't do anything wrong.

It's horrible having a MMC found at 12 week scan - my first was like yours. except I'd had no spotting or anything

zayja Mon 10-Aug-09 13:05:06

Hi BayeauxT,
I'm sorry for your loss, I think a MMC is particularly hard because it's "missed". I had the same thing happen at my 12w scan, but like CMOTdibbler, had no spotting. Anyway, my ob/gyn said that they'll be monitoring the HCG levels in my blood next time around which I think would be comforting.
You could just mention to your GP what you read about levels doubling and ask if it could've been a predictor. I felt like I had wasted a lot of time nurturing something emotionally, physically, and mentally, and then it was just gone. A huge dissappointment to say the least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now