Talk

Advanced search

What is the latest age you would expect to see a heart beat develop?

(10 Posts)
BottySpottom Thu 06-Aug-09 19:13:09

Title says it all really - does anyone know the answer? Many thanks.

tom57 Thu 06-Aug-09 19:59:45

I had scan to look for heartbeat this week-had to wait until 7 weeks according to clinic.No heartbeat but had grown to 3mm.scan ladies said really there is no hope as it's surrounded by blood but legally they can't terminate until they check again for heartbeat at 8 weeks.Would a more healthy looking pregnancy make a difference,I'm not sure.But at least 8 weeks.Hope that helps.

tom57 Thu 06-Aug-09 20:00:25

How many weeks are you?

BottySpottom Thu 06-Aug-09 20:11:22

I'm sorry. I hope you get good news.

I am only 4 weeks! But the stats for my age (44) are very scary and it is quite stressful waiting. I had a missed miscarriage before DC2 and DC3 so may not automatically miscarry as such.

tom57 Thu 06-Aug-09 20:28:54

No hope for me have d and c booked for next tue following scan the day before.But don't panic I was cramping and heavy bleeding from day one. At four weeks they won't scan as is too early for heartbeat-it's just such a horrid wait. They say drink loads of water and at least you feel like you are doing something. Try not to think about your age[not easy-I'm 40]But I know stacks of people that carried to term at 40plus.Good luck

BottySpottom Thu 06-Aug-09 21:25:32

Sorry Tom57. I had our third at 41 - don't give up!

Mouette Fri 07-Aug-09 10:08:02

The clinic where I had my first scans said 7 weeks. You can detect a heartbeat at 6 weeks sometimes but it's not guaranteed. I wish you all the best!

JoannaB Fri 07-Aug-09 10:32:11

At my Early pregnancy unit they scan at 7 weeks for heartbeat. It's a really long wait from blue line to 7 weeks, I know; but I wouldn't be tempted to try and push for much earlier, as you may come out with an inconclusive result which will be even more frustrating. I am also a recurrent MMC'er; if you're anything like me you will be checking your boobs daily for and hoping like mad to start throwing up! Not that any of that makes a difference to the result really.

Fingers and everything else crossed. x

Pinkjenny Fri 07-Aug-09 10:33:09

I saw a hb with this pg at 6+2. 7 weeks with dd.

Hope everything goes well.

BottySpottom Fri 07-Aug-09 14:05:33

Thanks all. We actually saw a heart-beat at 5+6 with DC3 because it was the last day the clinic was open before their Christmas break!

I don't want to book a scan until the very latest date you would expect to see one. I guess I ought to give them a call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now