Talk

Advanced search

diabetes, miscarriage and general anasthetic

(4 Posts)
tigger15 Mon 06-Jul-09 19:56:15

I'm not sure where to post this. I have had a miscarriage at 11 weeks and am type 1 diabetic. I have waited 4 weeks for it to come out naturally but it hasn't. They first suggested that the procedure to remove it could be done under local anasthetic but when I mentioned that not eating for 6 hours in the day would require careful control by me and small injections they refused to allow me to do this and insisted I had to have it done under general anasthetic.

Has anyone else had this experience at UCH and how did you convince them to allow it under local? I really don't want a general anasthetic as frankly I've found that "trained" people have no idea about diabetics either and have had some really nasty experiences with this.

EldonAve Wed 08-Jul-09 17:40:56

It is usually done under GA
I suspect it might be quite traumatic under local

Catitainahatita Wed 08-Jul-09 17:52:43

Hi,
First of all, my deep condolences for your loss. I'm a type 1 diabetic too and have had miscarriages in the past, but have never required intervention.
Just speaking from my experiences of being diabetic and having operations: even if you have a GA you will have to fast for x number of hours before the procedure. Thus you will need to be very careful with your insulin in this case as well and probably need to consult with your diabetic nurse/team about it. I am unsure of why a GA would be better than a LA in this case. Surely with a local, you can be more help in this (eg. you can tell if you are having a hypo)
I hope someone with better advice can come along soon. In the meantime, lots of sympathy and thoughts.

tigger15 Thu 09-Jul-09 08:37:04

Thanks for the messages. They called me on Tuesday and brought it forward earlier. The reason they wanted it under GA was they claimed that no one in the day ward had a clue about diabetes and they refused to let me be in charge. If it was under GA they said they would put in a sliding scale.

Anyway they ended up doing it without a sliding scale or anything and me controlling it under GA so I'm still not sure why it was necessary to go through all that but at least it's over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now