Talk

Advanced search

Advice please

(21 Posts)
rachxx Sun 28-Jun-09 13:53:01

Heya, I am a new memeber, and would appreciate if anyone could answer some of my questions. Last November I had a ERPC for a missed miscarriage. I then fell pregnant again, and have just found out at my scan (12 weeks and 4 days) that i have had a another missed miscarriage. I am wondering if anyone knows if the risks will be higher for me to have another ERPC (which is booked for next weds) or whether I should just wait for natural events. My babys heart beat stopped at 9 weeks and 4 days, and I have not passed anyhing yet. I am very worried about ashermans syndrome, and when I asked my docter, she seemed to know little bout it, and fobbed me off with 'no-one evr gets that'. What do other people knopw about this? I am only 20, and I seemed to be treared with little respect because of my young age, but that doesnt mean Im not going to be hurting!! Sorry to go on lots, any info would be great, thanks alot, rachel xxxx

Mum1369 Sun 28-Jun-09 15:56:24

Bump

quirkychick Sun 28-Jun-09 16:20:05

Bump

Joolsiam Sun 28-Jun-09 16:23:26

Of course you are hurting

From what I've read, it is extremely unusual for one or more ERPC's to affect fertility but all my mc's have been spontaneous, so can't give you any concrete advice.

This forum is busier during the week - hopefully someone will come along with better info tomorrow

sunburntats Sun 28-Jun-09 16:24:05

I have heard of this and there are people on here who it has happened to, and some who have ashermans.
Some of those should be along to advise you.

I have never had any experience with it, but had medically managed mcs.

sorry this has happened to you.
just wanted to hug you x

rachxx Sun 28-Jun-09 16:25:56

Did you choose to have medically managed mcs over a ERPC?

sunburntats Sun 28-Jun-09 16:44:17

Yes i did.

never considered ERCP even though it was offered.

Had tablets, then pessaries, and it was over in about 24 hours.
Had to stay in hospital though.

rachxx Sun 28-Jun-09 16:47:20

oh right, if you dont mind me asking, did you have much bleeding the weeks that followed? sorry for asking personal questions, you dont have to answer! Thanks x

sunburntats Sun 28-Jun-09 16:53:51

I was advised that i would bleed for up to 10 days after. I did for exsactly 10 days funnily enough.
They gave me some strong pain killers which i did need for about a week after.

I was given 3 choices,
1) wait for nature to take its course. (did this the 1st time, knew at 7 weeks no baby, took till i was 13 weeks before i actually began to loose the baby)
2)medically managed...did this twice.
3) surgery ERCP. did not want this, because of what you have said that your concerns are. That is how i felt too.

What would you like to do?

sunburntats Sun 28-Jun-09 16:54:29

sorry obviously you would not "like" to do anything, what do you think would be best for you?

rachxx Sun 28-Jun-09 17:08:53

well the first time I had the ERPC I wasn't told of any of the risks- it was only when I got home afterwards and did some research that I realised the risks and what could have happend. I almost feel 'lucky' that I managed to concieve again without any problems, but now I can't help thinking that did it contribute to the 2nd miscarriage. Obviously I shouldnt think like this, but it has made me think that I dont want to put myself through a risk like that again, especialy after reading posts from other people who have developed ashermans sydrome etc. I dont think I will naturally loes it for ages-it has been around 3 and a half weeks sine it stopped growing, so surely I would have started to pass by now. Howver they didnt offer me ;the medically managed' method, but I may ring them and ask about this. I just want to start ttc as soon as possible, without creating futher damage to myself

rachxx Sun 28-Jun-09 17:13:09

Sorry to be going on at you sunburntats, just appreciate someone actually listening to my worries etc, who may have some idea of how I feel.

sunburntats Sun 28-Jun-09 17:17:48

May be worth exploring this, see what they say. I think that there is a cut off point time wise, not sure when this is though.

We are trying to concieve again now 2 months on.
Its all a gamble.
Unlike you i do not blame myself at all for my 4 mcs. This is because i made sure that i did everything right that i possibly could do.
No alcohol, folic acid, good diet. But still it happened to me.

What really guts me is that i am now incapable of thinking positively where pregnancy is concerned. A positive test means nothing to me, pregnancy symptoms mean nothing to me, i do not allow myself any excitement at all and i feel robbed of this.
Every pregnant woman should feel elated by the pee stick and by feeling sicky and sore boobs.
For me it confirms nothing and has always just meant heartbreak and pain to come.

Sigh, maybe next time. fingers crossed.

sunburntats Sun 28-Jun-09 17:19:26

ahh rach, you are not going on at all hun.
I dont have any one in rl that this has happened to so i too have no one really to talk to about it.
Its nice to chat to you x

rachxx Sun 28-Jun-09 17:39:37

Well its 9 weeks, 4 days, surely that is still small enough...

I know what you mean. Before I used to think that positive pregnancy tests pretty much guaranteed a baby, and that miscarriages were sumthing that 'happened to other people' but I wont be taking that for granted again. I also thought that the only hurdle was actualy getting pregnant, rather than staying pregnant, and I don't know how I can do things differntly next time. Its so horrible, and Im sorry that you have been through what I have, but 4 times. Have you had any tests done yet?

rachxx Tue 30-Jun-09 15:17:32

My hospital don't offer medically managed treatment.....

sunburntats Tue 30-Jun-09 19:12:35

Ahh sorry about that.

So, will you go ahead with the ERCP?

I gave some blood today for checking about chromosones i think, not sure. Got an appointment with a gynae Doc in about 6weeks so hopefully will have some blood results to discuss.
Gynae bloke did say that bloods arelikely to come back as perfectly normal, and from there , there is nothing they can do or offer.
Think we may just give up tbh. Just trying one last time, if it ends badly again, then that will be it for us. sad

rachxx Tue 30-Jun-09 19:44:15

They must be able to do more than that- Are they not going to test for any problems with the uterus,sometimes the shape is abnormal, and they have to inject dye in to the uterus, and take an x-ray, think its called a hysterscopy, or HSG.

With your blood they should have done,a test for antiphospholipid syndrome, thromnophilias, MTHFR gene mutation, thyroid, and progeterone tests, and other blood clotting disorders, and something that stops your body from absorbing follic acid, (that might be the MTHFR gene)They probably have done them, but you should ask just in case they havn't.

You also get natural killer cells CD16/56 and 69 activity, which can be tested for, and I expect they have tested all of these, but I would check, as you never know if they have missed something!

I have spoke to alot of people who's tests revealed something, so if any of your blood tests do show up positive, then with the right treatment you will have a succesful pregnancy.

I hope it works out for you, and I hope you don't give up!!

I think that I'm going to have to have the ERPC I basicaly have no choice, tryed to go private, but couldn't find any where, local to me, and didn't want to travel miles. So lucky me, I've got it tmorrow.

rachxx Wed 01-Jul-09 14:19:35

had my erpc- went ok i guess, Im just feeling angry that this has happened, I just keep thinking why me!!

Got some tests etc booked now, so at least Im going forward....

sunburntats Wed 01-Jul-09 21:42:49

ahh love, dont suffer, make sure you take pain killers if you need them. Took me about 4 weeks to physically recover from my last 2 mcs, so take your time and give yourself time.

Hmm, thise bloods sound about right, i had about 6 tubes taken from me and dh had one.

There is nothing wrong with the uterus, mcs within the first trimester are usually down to chromosomes, after that them yes, the main cause would likely be associated with the uterus's inability to maintain a pregnancy.

I will wait to see the consultant and hope that i can get some answers in order to get it right nest time.

I honestly cannot keep putting myself through it time and time again. It is more and more painful with each loss and takes me longer and longer to recover physically. Its not healthy.

Hope that you recover quickly and feel ready to try again soon.x

rachxx Sat 04-Jul-09 17:35:19

I hope you do manage to get some answers, the not knowing whether something is wrong is so frustrating. Then hopefuly the problem will be solved,and you won't have to suffer futher. You get your results in a few weeks don't you?

Can't believe how badly my erpc went,considering how much i went on about it in this thread. Typical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now