Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Miscarried and still bleeding

(11 Posts)
McRobb Mon 18-Apr-05 12:41:18

I miscarried last Monday, which was a pretty nasty experience, first miscarriage so had no idea what to expect. I have a follow up scan booked and doctors appointment but I'm still bleeding really heavily, should this still be happening? I'm worried about either an infection or that this might mean that I have to have a D&C. Does anybody have experience of a D&C?

bossykate Mon 18-Apr-05 12:48:13

mcrobb, i'm sorry you lost your baby

i would go back to your epu/gp if you are worried about what is happening, don't wait for the appointment.

when i had mine, i bled for about 2 wks, but i wouldn't describe it as heavy bleeding. a number of mnetters have had d&cs so hopefully someone will answer on that point specifically.

wishingchair Mon 18-Apr-05 12:55:35

Again so sorry you lost your baby. I bled heavily for about a week or so then it finished altogether after a total of about 2-3 weeks.

If you're concerned, call the midwife/doctor.

Thinking of you

McRobb Mon 18-Apr-05 13:07:53

Thanks for your comments. I am going to the doctor today, just feel like I'm always asking stupid questions.

Also wondering now, how people have discussed this with their partners, I have given minimal information to my partner because I don't want to upset him but regret this a little now because we haven't really talked.

Diddle Mon 18-Apr-05 16:57:18

McRobb - I had m/c 2 weeks ago and another one 12 weeks before that, and the first one i bled for 2 weeks, not as heavy as my period, the 2nd i bled for just over 1 week and still not too heavy either.
My EPU advised that if the bleeding got much heavier and more painful then to return to them as soon as possible. Some people bleed for upto 3 or even 4 weeks after, gradually the flow should subside a little and get less.
But if you are worried then get them to check you out. Its better to be safe than sorry. It will be your health at risk.

How are you feeling? beside yourself i bet, i know i was and still am.
If the discharge is smelly or discoloured then it may be an infection.
Hope you don't mind me asking but how far along were you?

bossykate Mon 18-Apr-05 17:08:37

mcrobb, you mustn't feel your questions are stupid, just get whatever reassurance and info you need at this miserable time.

diddle, so sorry

McRobb Tue 19-Apr-05 08:34:57

Diddle, thanks for the information, for some reason I just assumed that once the key 'bits' had passed that it would slow down.

I was eight weeks, so early days but I had unfortunatly told family and a couple of close friends, I found telling them the hardest thing to deal with.

I have my scan on Monday so fingers crossed all is clear. Diddle - hope you don't mind me asking but did you have a D&C?

george32 Tue 19-Apr-05 08:53:10

So sorry to hear of your loss McRobb. I had an ERPC (I think that is just the new term for D&C) at the end of Jan following a missed m/c.
I had the option of waiting for m/c to happen naturally or have the op so I chose to have things done quickly (waiting for it to happen naturally could have taken weeks). I think they will only suggest the op if you don't lose everything naturally and this will show up at the scan.
If they do recommend it, don't worry too much. I believe it is quite routine for them and is over very quickly and most people have no pain. The scariest part for me was going into hospital as I had never been in for anything before.

Diddle Tue 19-Apr-05 10:14:42

McRobb - no i didn't have a d&c lost it naturally both times. I wasn't even offered one they just sent me home. Not sure what i would have chosen if i had the choice.

McRobb Tue 19-Apr-05 16:47:55

Thanks George and well done for being so brave.

I'm hoping that the scan will be clear, I feel like it is all over, can only hope that is the case.

girlfromip Tue 19-Apr-05 22:29:03

McRobb, I'm so sorry for your loss.
I don't think I'm typical but I mc at 10 weeks in Jan and opted for 'conservative management' which is what they call it if you don't have an erpc.
I bled a lot and was not prepared for how long it went on and how heavy it was. It went on for weeks actually and then subsequent periods (? if they were periods?) were really heavy so I've had at least two more scans to check that everything is gone. There is nothing wrong with a natural miscarriage - it's just that there is quite a lot of ignorance about the process.
Judging by what I've just been through I now realise that there is a lot of variation from woman to woman and from what medical staff know about that variation. It really helps if you get the names of people at your early preg unit or whoever is dealing with you and call them about your concerns. I also called the Miscarriage Association - they were very good too.
More than anything, I would say that every miscarriage is unique in some way - and I hope that you feel able to ask for help and get any support you might need. A lot of people use mumsnet to talk about every single imaginable aspect of mc. Most people seem to think it's good if you can talk to you partner but everyone's different and some people take more time to talk than others.
Take care of yourself, I hope you can be really gentle with yourself and not expect too much too soon in terms of recovery - it is a shocking thing to happen to mind, heart and body and there are no rules, in my opinion, except that we each need to find what helps us feel supported and well. Some people do feel well really quickly and some don't. Hope you're feeling ok today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now