Talk

Advanced search

Termination due to cystic hygroma

(14 Posts)
Sweetcheek Thu 11-Dec-08 20:45:27

Hi my 12w scan on Mon showed the baby to have a cystic hygroma of 8mm which is really large for that age. I have had a cvs and am waiting for the results, mostly for any future pregnancies to have a full history of why etc. Further scans showed nothing else wrong at this point but I have accepted the long term outlook is very poor and a termination is the best way forward in a bleak situation. I already have a 2 yr old DD. I am a bit scared about the termination process. I don't want a surgical as I hate being put to sleep. Has anyone had a termination around 13/14 weeks or later? I don't want a surgical as I hate being put to sleep but know a medical may hurt... xx

Ilovebeingamummy Thu 11-Dec-08 20:47:53

Sorry I don't know about this one but I didn't want you to go unanswered even for a minute. I am so so sorry you are going through such an awful time.

love and best wishes to you - I hope someone has the answers you need

Sweetcheek Thu 11-Dec-08 20:49:23

Thanks xxxx

goblinvalley Thu 11-Dec-08 20:55:03

So sorry for you.

Don't know about a termination, i've had surgical removal but the baby had already died. I was terrified of being put to sleep, but the thought of being awake and knowing was more terrifying IYKWIM.

Best wishes at this time

Ilovebeingamummy Thu 11-Dec-08 21:03:49

images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://s3.amazonaws.com/medhelp_images/profiles/458508_tn%3F120663 9142/.png&imgrefurl=http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/161389&usg=__kZ-xGOe6_q5lGtFYV6RXsI0_Xpc=&h=36 &w=48&sz=1&hl=en&start=16&tbnid=3Rc5Af1R3G7EKM:&tbnh=36&tbnw=48&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcystic%2Bhygroma% 2B12%2Bweeks%2Btermination%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

There is some positive stuff here if you scroll down a bit. I hope that is a help and not a hindrance.

Some seem to suggest that if there is no other problem and the amnio doesn't show anything like Turners syndrome that the CH can resolve?

Best wishes x

Sweetcheek Thu 11-Dec-08 21:07:55

Thanks. I know exactly what you mean.. I am such a baby tho! Bad times with local and general have made me nervous. I think a medical termination may be my only option at this stage anyway.

Sweetcheek Thu 11-Dec-08 21:12:08

Ilovebeinagmummy - useful link for me thanks. CH can resolve itself but normally when it is found later/or smaller than mine.

liger Thu 11-Dec-08 21:12:55

Sweetcheek, I'm so very sorry to read your news, please contact ARC here they will help you enormously and give you support all the way through.

Thinking of you

Sweetcheek Thu 11-Dec-08 21:16:48

Thank you can't believe I have not heard of Arc and it would seem Kypros Nicolaides recommends them, my CVS was done under his team at the Harris Birthright Research Centre.x

liger Thu 11-Dec-08 21:19:25

Have a look at the Need Help section, call them in the morning if you can and order some of their leaflets cover everything you need xxxxxx

liger Thu 11-Dec-08 21:20:42

sorry - can't type

the leaflets cover everything you need

xx

SweetPea99 Fri 12-Dec-08 15:33:14

Hi Sweetcheek,
What a horrible situation - so sorry. I think with the foetus at 13/14 weeks you may either have to have medical management or an erpc. If you do have to have medical management, this is effectively an induced labour, kicked off by pessaries placed near the cervix (no worse that having a smear) and followed up by tablets that you take every 4 hours. I don't know if you have any other children, but if you don't then the labour pains are similar to period pains (although more painful) and you will be offered painkillers like paracetamol gas and air and pethidine or morphine. Because the foetus is so small it is not painful when you deliver it, and you don't need assistance like you would with a full term baby but obviously emotionally it is a difficult experience. You should be in a private room on a gynacology ward, not anywhere near a maternity ward, and I am sure you will find that you are treated extremely sympathetically. Be warned than it can take a while - i think it took 16 hours for me from start to finish (albeit with long periods of nothing happening and no pain). With some people it happens much quicker. You also have to deliver the placenta afterwards, but again, as it is not large at this stage, it is not too difficult. The medical staff will be very keen to make the experience as easy for you as it possibly can be, and there is really nothing to be afraid of - it is the after-effects and the emotional side that are much harder, but you will learn to cope with it in time. Hope this helps. Look after yourself.

lindso Sat 13-Dec-08 17:34:44

I had a termination recently at 13 weeks. Surgical removal, light general anaesthetic (sp?). Knocked out for about 20 mins, in hospital 3 hours. Light bleeding for two weeks afterwards, cramps for about 12 hours. Awful situation, but the process itself wasn't as bad as I though it would be.

Best wishes - understand what you;re going through!

Sweetcheek Fri 19-Dec-08 21:37:05

Thanks for advice from everyone.

Sweetpea - thanks for your advice. My experience was pretty much exactly as you described it, process, ward, care etc. It took about 5 hours but I was in hospital for 10. I felt no pain really just ache and was shocked when it happened so easily. Even more shocked at the foetus though it felt bigger than expected (I couldn't look). Not the terror experience I had bad dreams about to be honest. The relief when it hits home is as powerful the sadness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: