Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recovering after miscarriage - lots of questions

(8 Posts)
Colsy Mon 27-Oct-08 10:50:10

Last week I lost my first baby. I was only six weeks pregnant, so I am trying to think how lucky I was to lose him or her now rather than when he or she was much older. I have read some horrible, horrible stories on here of girls losing their babies when they are real little people. I have had a nasty week, but maybe nothing like as nasty as those poor girls have had to go through.

I've got a few questions that I hope some of you might be able to help me with.

Q1. I have been bleeding, quite lightly apart from the first day, for about five days. I keep thinking both the bleeding and the pain have stopped, and then in a few hours there'll be a little bit more blood and some occasional crampy abdominal pains. Is this all quite normal?

Q2. Sorry to be so graphic, but has anybody else needed to poo a lot after miscarrying? I'm needing to "go" loads, and I also get quite crampy spasms each time I go. I'd like somebody else to tell me they've had this as well, cos I really don't want to have to talk to the doctor about this!

Q3. Although I am sad and cry a little bit each day for the baby I have lost, I also want to start TTC straight away. I almost feel guilty that I am thinking about TTC so soon, as it's almost like I'm saying "Oh well, there goes one, now let's try for another one", but that is not what I mean at all. I just accept that my first baby wasn't meant to be and I would love to try for another baby, and I so hope the story with the next one is a happy story. Do other people want to TTC so soon?

Q4. I have read and read and read all sorts of stuff on the internet about whether it is safe medically to TTC so soon after miscarrying. What are your thoughts? I know that only I will know whether I am ready emotionally, but what about medically? If I am bleeding a teensy-weensy bit still, are we safe to have sex?

bubblagirl Mon 27-Oct-08 12:52:59

sorry for your loss i have no information im afraid i did have a mc few years ago but dont remember having these symptoms although were all different bumping as someone may have experienced the same

big hugs to you though xx

katyjo Mon 27-Oct-08 13:02:17

Colsy, so sorry to hear about your loss. I had a mc 2 years ago when I was about 6 weeks pregnant.
They usually tell you to wait a few months before conceiving again, but only so they can accurately date the pregnancy so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think its quite normal to want to ttc, I had a need to move on.

I would speak to your dr about some of your questions, I really think it is beneficial to talk it through with someone and they will be able to reassure you properly.

I now have a very healthy 5 month old little girl (we waited a while before trying again, but for a lot of different reasons) I also have a 2.5 year old ds who I had before the mc.

Big hugs for you.

Sparks Mon 27-Oct-08 13:08:44

So sorry for your loss colsy.

When i had a mc a couple of years ago, the gynae told me that it was fine to start ttc again as soon as I felt emotionally ready. He said you won't ovulate until your body is ready. So even if you do have sex, you wouldn't become pg until your body could handle it.

His opinion was that doctors like to know the woman's last menstrual period for their own reasons.

cocoleBOO Mon 27-Oct-08 13:12:17

Sorry for your loss
Q1. This is normal

Q2. Don't know if I pooed a lot, but it could just be connected to your cramping/shock.

Q3. I think whenever you feel able is the right time.

good luck.

pumpkinscantdancethetango Mon 27-Oct-08 13:12:42

Different people feel differently about how soon they can ttc, take some time for yourself and then when you feel ready you will know. Really sorry for your loss. The having to poo more often thing is normal.

92108 Tue 28-Oct-08 03:27:46

Has anyone experienced a fast pulse/heartbeat from time to time after m/c? It's been over a month and I've been to the emergency room and to the cardiologist once each. They tested my blood and the cardiologist examined me and said there is nothing to worry about. The only thing they found was that my hemoglobin was a little bit low. They said not to worry as long as the heart rate does not exceed 120 beats per minute even though over 100 is considered to be tachycardia. I want to make sure I am well before I TTC again. (I take medication for high blood pressure) For the most part I feel okay but whenever the rapid heartbeat comes on I get a little worried. I'm currently not working outside the home so I shouldn't be overly stressed or anything. I feel like I must be nutty or something.

92108 Tue 28-Oct-08 03:29:13

PS- Colsy, sorry for your loss. I have read that about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks is a good time to wait to avoid risk of infection and to avoid tampons. Sorry, tmi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now