Talk

Advanced search

Advice please - sex in subsequest preganacies

(7 Posts)
woollyjo Thu 16-Oct-08 19:44:13

Dear all, a question for you

We are ttc after 2 mcs this year. I have heard/read that if there is a history of mc that penetrative sex in the early stages of a subsequent pg should be avoided. Because I haven't had 'enough' mcs to be under a consultant, the next time I fall pregnant I won't get to see a GP until 8weeks at the earliest - would anyone be able to advise please?

SnoopDog Thu 16-Oct-08 21:02:45

we didnt,

after mc no 2 and i mc pg no 3 anyway,

we didnt again for pg no 4 and dd arrived 3 months ago,

one of the painful things about mc is that it taints sex for quite some time,

you see, you dont for the first 3 months, and then you dare not for the middle 3 months because things are going ok, then in the last 3 months you just dont bother because you have not had sex for so long you forget how to (iyswim)

good luck with ttc,

i think you just do what feels best/right for you

Springflower Thu 16-Oct-08 21:08:18

I didnt either - I saw a acupuncturist after 2nd miscarriage and she said not to during the first few months. Like Snoopdog said - superstition then sets in and I didnt want to 'risk it'. I suspect it doesnt make much difference but just stops you wondering if that could have caused it. Good Luck.

cmotdibbler Thu 16-Oct-08 21:12:38

In pg4 after 3mcs, the consultant advised not to - he said that it prob didn't make a lot of difference, but it was something you could control, so it wasn't worth the risk

HairyToe Thu 16-Oct-08 21:24:49

I bled in my first pregnancy at 8 weeks - had a big scare but scan showed everything ok. From that point on we stopped having sex till right at the end (to get things moving) - DD1. Pregnancy no.2 from BFP we didn't and DD2 arrived. Pregnancy no.3 again we didn't - ended in mmc. Pregnant again now and won't be having sex for a while just in case. I'm actually pretty sure it won;t make a difference but probably wouldn;t be able to relax enought to enjoy it anyway.

FWIW after each 'sex ban' our sex life returned reasonably unscathed...enough to conceive again anyway!

woollyjo Fri 17-Oct-08 19:49:11

Thanks Ladies for taking the time to pass on your advice.

Congrats to those who have positive outcomes and good luck to all who are still working through it.

I completely understand the comments about mcs and their effect on 'normal' sex for me it was/is the fact that my body has let me down and I don't really know how to read it anymore. With my dd I knew I was pregnant within weeks as I did with mc1 but mc2 was quite different.

Thanks again X

TinkerBellesMum Fri 17-Oct-08 20:06:21

I never abstained and wasn't told to, I've been told the only reason to abstain is for a low placenta or if the waters break. You can still ask your MW or CMW if you're not sure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: