Talk

Advanced search

INFO ON ST MARY'S MISCARRIAGE CLINIC LONDON PLEASE

(89 Posts)
godwin Wed 08-Oct-08 19:27:31

I had my appointment with my consultant yesterday following my 2nd second trimester mc(4th consecutive mc). He was great and explained in detail all results he had from my bloods, placenta/tissue testing and post mortem. All bloods came back fine and there was apparently no explanation yet again as to why i mc this baby(another little girl) who was perfect in every way no signs of any deformity or chromosome problem. He explained that he has now tested me three times for everything he can so recommends that we be referred to st mary's. I feel fine about going as it is another avenue to explore and prof Regan will repeat all tests done so far and test for other things aswell.I have read many things about this clinic on mumsnet and other sites but would really like to hear from ladies who have first hand exp of attending this clinic, perhaps even with succesful outcomes. How long did a referral appointment take to come through? I have 2 ds aged 7 and 4, and we decided to try for no3 in 2006, and since then it has been one traumatic experience after another, i know there are many ladies worse off than me, but yesterday brought to the surface all the emotions that i had managed to keep in check since aug my dh is nearly ready to give up but i just can't even think about that yet, i want to try again, is that madness?
If anyone has any info that may help at all that would be great. Sorry to go on a bit, i don't post often but thought i may get some answers from someone on here. Thanks in advance.

PhuongNguyen Mon 25-Dec-17 19:27:12

Hello,

Can anyone please let me know how to register a private appointment in St Mary hospital?
Thank you very much.
Best regards,

Sharnellasmith Sat 30-Sep-17 22:33:18

Hi reesan, hope that you are well. I went for another week scan and they sac was still empty so they prepared me for surgery yesterday and recovering slowly, but will do some tests privately

Reesan Sat 30-Sep-17 16:52:30

I will definately pray for you. I'm sorry I didn't respond. I had got side tracked after reading your message. Has there been any further updates since your last hcg test?

Sharnellasmith Tue 19-Sep-17 17:32:44

Thanks reesan. I'm really sorry to hear about your circumstances and also different ladies on this site. And have prayed for you to get your baby soon. I have recurrent miscarriage and are pregnant at the moment,went for an early scan that shows nothing when I was six week hcg was 400 48 hours hcg 600scan 5 days later still nothing .went seven days (today and saw an empty sac with HCG 1750 will have blood test again tmro I know God will see me through . Please pray for me while I do the same for all you ladies. smile

Reesan Mon 18-Sep-17 18:07:53

Hi sodijo, i paid £150 i think for a consultation privately. If I had my septum removed by him it would of cost about £4000. I chose to go with a different surgeon because I needed to investigate further why I'm not getting pregnant at all.

I would ask your gp to refer you to raj he is great and you maybe able to get all your tests done on the nhs.

I don't want to guess regarding the brown spotting.. as so many people have different types of cycles. My period is short only 3 days and light blood flow and then the first day I have some Browning spotting.

Sodijo Mon 18-Sep-17 15:55:53

Thank you Reesan for the reply.

I live in London but I am not familiar with the UK health system ( I was living abroad all my life and a came in London a year ago ). I thought in order to be able to see Raj rai or Lesley Reagan I had to be referred by the GP. Do you know an estimated cost for the testings (just an estimation)?

Regarding the brown spotting I have this issue the last years in every period and I had had this also in my pregnancies, this is the reason why I thought it might be connected in a way.

Many thanks for your prompt relpy and assistance.

Reesan Fri 15-Sep-17 20:05:01

Hi sodijo,

I think they start investigating for recurrent miscarriages after 3 miscarriages. However, there is nothing stopping you from going private and seeing raj rai or Lesley Reagan they are both at st Mary.

Where in the country are you?

In regards go spotting brown I get it sometimes before periods.

I'm sorry about your miscarriages and hope you get some answers soon.

Sharnella A few people post here..

Reesan Fri 15-Sep-17 19:55:42

Hi knowing
Good to hear from you and hope you're well.
Your right sitting around is difficult and it's better to be busy and work is good for that. I hope everything goes well in three weeks do let me know how you get on.

I'm sure your have good news to tell soon smile

Please do keep your fingers crossed for me I really need it smile

Look forward to hearing from you post op xx

Sharnellasmith Fri 15-Sep-17 18:50:23

Does anyone posted here anymore

Sodijo Fri 15-Sep-17 16:07:21

Hi, I am new here.. I had recently two misscarriages, one in May 2017 and in Sep 2017 just a week ago. In the first mc, we lost the baby at 8 weeks..on the second we discovered that was an empty sac. I am really suffering at the moment but try to stay calm. I had never any issues with my health ( apart from low level of hemoglobin ), I am 31 yrs old and have a healthy lifestyle. I haven't done any testing yet, do you know a good clinic that I could visit in London? Do you know an estimated cost? Does this has happened to anyone else in th forum? How you have faced that?

P.S. In both pregnancies, I had brown blood spotting. I had always brown blood 4-5 days before my period starts. Does any of you have the same? The GP cannot provide an explanation on that? Do you think this related to my misscarriages??? Please help

keeponrunning85 Thu 14-Sep-17 11:24:15

Hi Reesan. Sorry for the slow reply. Thanks for the info on your recovery time. I'm anticipating having a week off work. I'm not very good at just sitting around and find work a good distraction so I think I'll struggle if I have to have longer than that.

I'm sorry you haven't had a positive result. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the IUI for you.

Only 3 weeks to go until my op now so it is finally starting to feel within reach.

Reesan Sat 26-Aug-17 08:59:02

Recovery was easy for the hysteroscopy I would say 2 to 3 days is sufficient off work maybe even 2. I never had the laparoscopy though so not sure about the recovery there.
This is our 2nd month trying now and no news really. We got the go ahead in June.
We will started medicated iui in September.. and if that doesn't work we go on to Ivf in January.

keeponrunning85 Fri 25-Aug-17 14:48:16

Hi Reesan.

I'm having my surgery on the 6th of October. I wish it was sooner but nevermind. The consultant is planning on removing the septum via hysteroscopy but also wants to put a camera in through my belly button due to me also having a partial bicornuate uterus.

How has your recovery been? Have you been able to start trying again?

Out of interest, how long did you have off work? I forgot to ask how long she recommended at my appointment.

Reesan Fri 25-Aug-17 13:03:46

How are you? Did you have your hysteroscopy?

Reesan Thu 29-Jun-17 06:52:07

Hiya, I'm good. How are you doing? It's been a while..
I'm pleased to hear your having some time out and taking a break is helping.
12 weeks is what they told me at my hospital too am pleased she has put you down for surgery and am sure once you have it your hopefully have no further problems remaining pregnant.

I saw my surgeon last Monday he removed my coil and scanned me. He said everything was looking good and he wants me to come back in 2 weeks so he can see how the endometrial lining is growing as I was on my period.

The only thing I noticed after surgery is.. I usually have a light period over 3 days but post surgery it was heavy, bright red and lasted about 6 to 7 days. He said this is normal.

I'm praying that this was stopping us from conceiving and that we can now hopefully have a healthy to term pregnancy.

Let me know how things are going x

keeponrunning85 Wed 28-Jun-17 21:35:44

Hi Reesan.

How are you? I hope your recovery is you g ok.

I saw my consultant today and she agreed to list me for the surgery which is a relief. I'll probably have to wait about 12 weeks to get it done but I'm feeling ok about that at the moment. Having a break from TTC seems to be doing me some good. It is a relief in some ways to know exactly when to expect my period and not spend the 2 weeks before wondering.

Reesan Tue 23-May-17 16:28:12

Hiya,
I'm doing ok. I go back to work tomorrow my bleeding has stoppre last week Thursday or Friday and every now and there is light spotting occasionally . We will be seeing the doctor in 4 to 6 weeks to remove coil and hopefully we can try straight away.

I understand about the break.. this is another thing after surgery you are forced to relax and take it easy as you can't ttc.

The surgery really is straightforward.. I had an nhs appointment today and she said the operate at least once a month and this isn't a uncommon condition.

Let me know how your appointment goes. I will be thinking of you.

keeponrunning85 Tue 23-May-17 13:27:50

Hi Reesan,

How's your recovery going? I was pleased to read things went smoothly and thank you for being so open with the details, it was really helpful. Have they told you how long you need to wait before TTC again?

I'm just waiting for my recurrent miscarriage clinic appointment to come through and I'm going to the GP on Friday to ask to be referred for a second opinion and also to go back on the pill. Mixed feelings about that but I need a break.

Reesan Wed 17-May-17 12:41:47

Hiya, yes I had the surgery yesterday and had my tubes checked as I mentioned I have never been pregnant and the information on septums and primary infertility is weak so I had to do surgery to rule out why I wasn't getting pregnant at all.
I'm sorry to hear about your 4th miscarriage.
I'm actually feeling ok to be honest. I went into surgery at 9.10 and was out at 9.50 in recovery and back in my room by 10.15. I have got a coil fitted and I'm on estrogen and aspirin from today for 27 days and then 22 days from tomorrow provera to shred the lining as it will thicken quite a lot with estrogen over the next 3 weeks or so. The aspirin is for blood clotting.
Yesterday I bleed quite a bit and you pass some tissue from the endometrial lining today it has definitely calmed down a bit.
Overall it's ok am just resting really for the next couple of days. He signed me off until tomorrow but I'm going to stay home until at least next week.
I was supposed to leave the clinic at 11 or 12 but left at 2pm as I just wanted to urinate a couple of times to make sure I was all good as the initial bathroom visit is a shock with all the blood. However the other 2 ladies having septums removed were in and out in a couple hours so I think everyone's body reacts differently and I just wanted to sure it was all good.
Overall pain is mild cramps which come and go. That's why I think it's important to rest whilst it's not a big surgery you need time to heal internally.
Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

keeponrunning85 Wed 17-May-17 09:30:29

Hi Reesan. How are you? Did you have your surgery yesterday? If so I hope everything went smoothly and you're recovering ok.

So it was miscarriage number 4 with me sadly. I'm waiting for my appointment at recurrent miscarriage clinic to come through and I've got an appointment at the GP a week on Friday and I'm going to ask to be referred for a second opinion on the septum.

Reesan Mon 08-May-17 11:05:31

Hiya keeponrunning, how are you? I just met my consultant last Thursday to sign all my forms and do pre-operative blood test. I will be going for surgery next week Tuesday if period starts this Thursday. I will keep you informed of how it goes.

Reesan Sat 22-Apr-17 17:42:34

I am very sorry to hear this. I wish there had been better news.

Of course I will come back and post after surgery. If you are thinking of surgery I have mentioned the name of my consultant in this thread you can Google him he is well known for septum procedures uterine anomolies.

I was hoping you were going to be third time lucky..

If you have yours before 16th may please report back here how it goes for you too.

keeponrunning85 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:54:33

Not great I'm afraid. Sadly it looks like I'm heading for another miscarriage. I have to have another scan next Friday to confirm but at my scan yesterday there hadn't been as much growth as there should have been and they could no longer see the heartbeat.

So I think we'll be taking a break from TTC and trying to get some septum surgery made sorted.

I hope your op goes well Reesan. I'll be interested to here how you get on.

Reesan Tue 18-Apr-17 16:30:53

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the read. I did read it and it's similar to what I have read regarding miscarriages but looks like subfertility is a grey area and not researched enough..
Thank you for the wishes for the surgery. I think it will be on the 16th may as that's the closest date after my period finishes.
How are you?

keeponrunning85 Sat 15-Apr-17 10:05:30

From what I've discussed with her there is no real consensus on septums and I think opinion varies quite a lot from one consultant to another. There aren't any good quality trials on whether surgery works and it would be very hard to do one. I think as there are so many factors that play into having a successful pregnancy I'm not sure they would ever 100% confidently be able to say that septum surgery made the difference.

But for women in our situation I think we all feel that you have nothing to lose trying. I really hope your surgery goes well and is successful.

I don't know if you like to read scientifcy guideline type things but if you Google the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists green top guidelines that has some information about it based on the best available evidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now