Talk

Advanced search

INFO ON ST MARY'S MISCARRIAGE CLINIC LONDON PLEASE

(73 Posts)
godwin Wed 08-Oct-08 19:27:31

I had my appointment with my consultant yesterday following my 2nd second trimester mc(4th consecutive mc). He was great and explained in detail all results he had from my bloods, placenta/tissue testing and post mortem. All bloods came back fine and there was apparently no explanation yet again as to why i mc this baby(another little girl) who was perfect in every way no signs of any deformity or chromosome problem. He explained that he has now tested me three times for everything he can so recommends that we be referred to st mary's. I feel fine about going as it is another avenue to explore and prof Regan will repeat all tests done so far and test for other things aswell.I have read many things about this clinic on mumsnet and other sites but would really like to hear from ladies who have first hand exp of attending this clinic, perhaps even with succesful outcomes. How long did a referral appointment take to come through? I have 2 ds aged 7 and 4, and we decided to try for no3 in 2006, and since then it has been one traumatic experience after another, i know there are many ladies worse off than me, but yesterday brought to the surface all the emotions that i had managed to keep in check since aug my dh is nearly ready to give up but i just can't even think about that yet, i want to try again, is that madness?
If anyone has any info that may help at all that would be great. Sorry to go on a bit, i don't post often but thought i may get some answers from someone on here. Thanks in advance.

Reesan Tue 23-May-17 16:28:12

Hiya,
I'm doing ok. I go back to work tomorrow my bleeding has stoppre last week Thursday or Friday and every now and there is light spotting occasionally . We will be seeing the doctor in 4 to 6 weeks to remove coil and hopefully we can try straight away.

I understand about the break.. this is another thing after surgery you are forced to relax and take it easy as you can't ttc.

The surgery really is straightforward.. I had an nhs appointment today and she said the operate at least once a month and this isn't a uncommon condition.

Let me know how your appointment goes. I will be thinking of you.

keeponrunning85 Tue 23-May-17 13:27:50

Hi Reesan,

How's your recovery going? I was pleased to read things went smoothly and thank you for being so open with the details, it was really helpful. Have they told you how long you need to wait before TTC again?

I'm just waiting for my recurrent miscarriage clinic appointment to come through and I'm going to the GP on Friday to ask to be referred for a second opinion and also to go back on the pill. Mixed feelings about that but I need a break.

Reesan Wed 17-May-17 12:41:47

Hiya, yes I had the surgery yesterday and had my tubes checked as I mentioned I have never been pregnant and the information on septums and primary infertility is weak so I had to do surgery to rule out why I wasn't getting pregnant at all.
I'm sorry to hear about your 4th miscarriage.
I'm actually feeling ok to be honest. I went into surgery at 9.10 and was out at 9.50 in recovery and back in my room by 10.15. I have got a coil fitted and I'm on estrogen and aspirin from today for 27 days and then 22 days from tomorrow provera to shred the lining as it will thicken quite a lot with estrogen over the next 3 weeks or so. The aspirin is for blood clotting.
Yesterday I bleed quite a bit and you pass some tissue from the endometrial lining today it has definitely calmed down a bit.
Overall it's ok am just resting really for the next couple of days. He signed me off until tomorrow but I'm going to stay home until at least next week.
I was supposed to leave the clinic at 11 or 12 but left at 2pm as I just wanted to urinate a couple of times to make sure I was all good as the initial bathroom visit is a shock with all the blood. However the other 2 ladies having septums removed were in and out in a couple hours so I think everyone's body reacts differently and I just wanted to sure it was all good.
Overall pain is mild cramps which come and go. That's why I think it's important to rest whilst it's not a big surgery you need time to heal internally.
Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

keeponrunning85 Wed 17-May-17 09:30:29

Hi Reesan. How are you? Did you have your surgery yesterday? If so I hope everything went smoothly and you're recovering ok.

So it was miscarriage number 4 with me sadly. I'm waiting for my appointment at recurrent miscarriage clinic to come through and I've got an appointment at the GP a week on Friday and I'm going to ask to be referred for a second opinion on the septum.

Reesan Mon 08-May-17 11:05:31

Hiya keeponrunning, how are you? I just met my consultant last Thursday to sign all my forms and do pre-operative blood test. I will be going for surgery next week Tuesday if period starts this Thursday. I will keep you informed of how it goes.

Reesan Sat 22-Apr-17 17:42:34

I am very sorry to hear this. I wish there had been better news.

Of course I will come back and post after surgery. If you are thinking of surgery I have mentioned the name of my consultant in this thread you can Google him he is well known for septum procedures uterine anomolies.

I was hoping you were going to be third time lucky..

If you have yours before 16th may please report back here how it goes for you too.

keeponrunning85 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:54:33

Not great I'm afraid. Sadly it looks like I'm heading for another miscarriage. I have to have another scan next Friday to confirm but at my scan yesterday there hadn't been as much growth as there should have been and they could no longer see the heartbeat.

So I think we'll be taking a break from TTC and trying to get some septum surgery made sorted.

I hope your op goes well Reesan. I'll be interested to here how you get on.

Reesan Tue 18-Apr-17 16:30:53

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the read. I did read it and it's similar to what I have read regarding miscarriages but looks like subfertility is a grey area and not researched enough..
Thank you for the wishes for the surgery. I think it will be on the 16th may as that's the closest date after my period finishes.
How are you?

keeponrunning85 Sat 15-Apr-17 10:05:30

From what I've discussed with her there is no real consensus on septums and I think opinion varies quite a lot from one consultant to another. There aren't any good quality trials on whether surgery works and it would be very hard to do one. I think as there are so many factors that play into having a successful pregnancy I'm not sure they would ever 100% confidently be able to say that septum surgery made the difference.

But for women in our situation I think we all feel that you have nothing to lose trying. I really hope your surgery goes well and is successful.

I don't know if you like to read scientifcy guideline type things but if you Google the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists green top guidelines that has some information about it based on the best available evidence.

Reesan Wed 12-Apr-17 17:58:50

I really hope it doesn't come to that for you and that your pregnancy continues to go well. Do you know where the baby has implanted?
We have our private appointment on the 4th to sign paper work and talk about risks and what he will be doing. Then set a date probably after my nearest cycle finishes.
It's all so daunting I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.. I have never had surgery or a general so am scared about that too along with if this will fix our problem of ttc and falling pregnant.

What's your friends opinion on septums and removal?
I'm starting to find that maybe it's not as rare as previously told as have had a look on fertility friend website and so many women found out they had a septum.

keeponrunning85 Wed 12-Apr-17 09:41:36

Hi Reesan. Thank you very much for thinking of me. It is a very anxious time but I'm doing ok and mainly managing to stay accepting of the fact I have little control over the outcome. I've just been for my first scan which showed a heartbeat which is encouraging. However, with my last pregnancy I had an early scan which showed the same and at my second scan at 8 weeks it had stopped so I'm not feeling hugely reassured. Also, I'm worried it was measuring behind what it should be but the nurse wasn't concerned at this stage. One day at a time, that is all I can do.

How are you? Did you and your OH make a decision about whether you will go private or on the NHS?

One of my friends is training to be an Obs and Gynae Consultant. She spoke to one of her consultants about me last week works about 40 miles from where I live. He said he would be happy to see me and arrange an MRI to see if it is worth removing my septum so I have that avenue to explore if things don't work out again this time.

Reesan Wed 12-Apr-17 09:27:51

Keeponrunning I hope the pregnancy is going Well? I didn't hear back from you so wondered how your doing?

Reesan Wed 05-Apr-17 05:59:57

Congratulations that is great news I really hope this pregnancy progresses well for you, which we know people do have successful pregnancy with a septum so fingers crossed for you.

So at the NHS appointment they are suggesting a hysteroscopy to remove the septum and fit with coil and high does estrogen.

Basically the waiting time is 6 to 8 weeks and the procedure takes 30 minutes. The only thing is the septum in our results and she said once that's removed and we still not conceived it will have to be IVF.
So now me and other half need to decide on private or wait NHS...

Private I can do as early as next week and he will also do a hsg while I'm already under.

While we were at the hospital yesterdy she made me do the pre op assesment which including a mrsa swab and full blood count.. In case we decide to wait for nhs. I never knew you have to do a pre op assesment.. But I've never had surgery so all new to me.

I really appreciate you asking and remembering about my appointment.

keeponrunning85 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:50:33

Hi Reesan.

How did you get on with your appointment today?

Well I got a BFP about a week and a half ago so think I'm just over 5 weeks today. Because of my miscarriages I can get early scans at my local EPU so I'm going to ring tomorrow to book one in for next week. I've had some anxious moments but mainly I've been feeling quite accepting that what will be will be. Whilst obviously desperately hoping it is 4th time lucky!

One of my friends is a doctor training in gynaecology and she has been speaking to one of her consultants today in a hospital about 40 miles from where I live. He said he'd be happy to see me and do an MRI with a view to considering surgery on my septum so I'll definitely pursue that if things don't work out again.

Reesan Thu 23-Mar-17 21:43:44

Hahaha I thought that was a bit weird..
I'm about to ovulate over the next day or two so will be in the same dreaded wait. Really hoping there will be sone good news this cycle.. fingers crossed for both of us.

Am constantly going crazy lol.

keeponrunning85 Thu 23-Mar-17 20:35:54

I totally forgot I've changed my name! I'm previously emily86. Yes to partial septum, no to hysteroscopy at present.

Reesan Thu 23-Mar-17 18:10:21

Hi keeponrunning,
I have an appointment on the 4th April that's an nhs appointment at Chelsea and Westminster. So will see what they say then we basically will need to decide between nhs Adrian lower.

Have you had a hysteroscopy? Do you have a uterine septum?

keeponrunning85 Thu 23-Mar-17 12:59:30

Nothing major going on here Reesan. Currently in the second half of the dreaded TWW. There's no sign of my usual pre-AF spotting so I'm planning on testing on Saturday and in the mean time slowly driving myself mad!

Do you know when your hysteroscopy will be?

Reesan Thu 23-Mar-17 10:30:02

Hi girls,
I wondered if there was any update from any of you and how it was all going.
I think I will be having a diganostic hysteroscopy to asses the septum.

Donut I hope your pregnancy is going well smile

Reesan Fri 24-Feb-17 07:30:42

I agree.. I hope we don't have to go through with the procedure. I really hope all of this comes to an end soon and we have a healthy baby soon.
I was actually surprised that both were recommending to continue on as well more Raj than Adrain.
I'm finding it hard to stay positive but try to keep myself distracted as much as possible with work.

emily86 Thu 23-Feb-17 22:01:03

I'm doing alright thanks. After a break from trying for a couple of months I'm feeling reasonably positive about it. Although not enjoying enduring the two week wait again! Fingers crossed neither of us have to go down the surgery route. I was pretty disappointed initially after my appointment at the recurrent miscarriage clinic but I understand why the consultant wasn't keen to go down the surgery route at present.

Reesan Thu 23-Feb-17 15:23:44

Hi Emily, thank you for coming back. I'm doing ok. We are continuing with the ttc without the septum removal at the moment. I will do a hsg if my period comes next month. Hopefully my fallopian tubes are open and we just continue with natural ttc. At the moment no one is recommending surgery as I haven't had a miscarriage and both doctors I have seen privately are advising to continue on without surgery until it's a confirmed problem. I know from Adrian lower that I have a normal uterus shape but with a septum and the septum is 50% of the cavity and apparently my cavity is reasonable expanded. So he thinks continue on. I did feel better after seeing him and especially if I do need the procedure he explained that it is very low risk and he does this every 4 to 6 weeks and ladies go on to have successful pregnancies.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the retained products. I hope you're well now?

emily86 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:44:59

Hi Reesan,

Sorry for the late reply, it hadn't popped up on my feed.

So my update is when I went to the recurrent miscarriage clinic my 3rd miscarriage was due to a chromosomal problem (the embryo had a full extra set of chromosomes) and therefore the consultant didn't want to do any surgery on the septum. Basically we were told it was just bad luck, it shouldn't happen again and to just keep trying and fingers crossed next time. I then had problems with some retained products but fortunately that is all sorted now and we're on our first month of trying again. If I haven't fallen pregnant again by the beginning of November it is highly likely we will have to have a break for a few months because of my career so I I'm going to save up some money and have a think about paying for the surgery privately during this time.

How are you doing Reesan?

Doughnuts it is great to hear of your success after your surgery. I do hope you have a smooth and uneventful rest of pregnancy and get to meet your little one later this year.

Reesan Mon 20-Feb-17 09:42:17

Hey Doughnut, that's amazing news smile I'm so pleased for you. I hope everything continues to go well for you. I take it you didn't need the second surgery in the end?
This gives me loads of hope and fills me with positivity xx
Thank you so much for posting.

Doughnutsandrainbows Sun 19-Feb-17 19:24:05

Also should probably add it seems to have worked as an now 12+2 the furthest I have ever got although still a long way to go and not out of the woods yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now