Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound like the start of a miscarriage? I'm 13 weeks

(22 Posts)
gingerninja Wed 17-Sep-08 09:23:34

I've had spotting (brown and pinky brown) for the last four days and am suffering back ache and lots of aches and pains like period pains.

Does this sound like the inevitable start of a miscarriage? At 13 weeks I don't suppose there is anything that can be done to prevent it is there?

MmeLindt Wed 17-Sep-08 09:26:07

Have you called your GP?

I had two miscarriages after a week or so of bleeding, even though I was resting, taking hormone tablets. I don't think that there is anything you can do other that wait and see.

Will be crossing my fingers for you.

Lemontart Wed 17-Sep-08 09:30:27

I am so sorry but I am guessing that nobody can tell you for definite one way or the other, sweetie.

With both of my pregnancies I had exactly your symptoms - brown and pinky brown spotting, back ache and lots of cramping. I was told by many that while it was light spotting and "old" blood, not to worry - but of course that is impossible! I was lucky, the spotting stopped, cramping eased off and went on to have 2 lovely children. So, the worst is not inevitable just yet.

Please please contact your MW and see if you can have a scan for peace of mind/find out what is happening to your body. I think that will be the only way you will find out how your pregnancy is going with any certainty. They will not be able to tell you what will happen in the next few days, but a scan would at least confirm status of the pregnancy right now.

SO to answer your question - is it inevitable - no

gingerninja Wed 17-Sep-08 11:39:34

Thanks, had to shoot off to a meeting hence why I haven't replied.

I have spoken to the midwife who told me to wait until this afternoon and review and to contact the Dr for an appointment should the spotting continue.

I know that no one can really say what will happen which, in a way is why I've been so reluctant to go to the Dr because I don't suppose they can really give me any reasurance. However, at least they might be able to put my mind at rest one way or another for the situation as it stands. Thanks guys

LackaDAISYcal Wed 17-Sep-08 11:45:36

Sorry you are getting these symptoms sad, but as others have said a MC is by no means inevitable. Lots of women have spotting and bleeding and the cramping could be due to ligaments stretching.

Does your local maternity hospital have an early pregnancy assessment unit? You really need to be scanned to see what is happening. I would call the hospital dorect and ask and also ask whether you can self refer or need a GP referral.

I'm a bit disappointed at your MW really; at this stage of your pregnancy (just entering the secnd trimester) I would have thought they would be more proactive in seeing you.

Call your EPU and good luck.

uptomyeyes Wed 17-Sep-08 11:51:22

I think the answer is - you won't know until it happens - unfortunately.

I had 3 miscarriages then 2 sons another couple of miscariages and then at 15 weeks into my pregnancy with DS3 I had the most appalling pains, contractions, heamorraghing (sp?)....it went on for about 24 hours, I went to the EPU for a scan expecting to be given a date for a D and C to be told there was still a heartbeat...and a great big clot next to it. I then bled and was in pain for 3 weeks - being scanned twice a week - to check progress. The clot eventually reduced in size, DS3 held on in there (nicknamed GRIPPER by all my friends) and is now 2 1/2 yo. So bleeding doesn't mean miscarriage in inevitable.

Try getting a scan and then at least you know where you stand one way or the other.

Good luck gingerninja - I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have a gripper.

gingerninja Wed 17-Sep-08 11:52:41

Thanks, I haven't even seen a midwife yet and yesterday she was quite dismissive on the telephone which made me feel terrible.

Unfortunately you can't self refer anymore she told me so I do need to go to the Dr which is a bit of a pain because I'm at work and the appointment system is a PITA unless you're very close to the surgery.

I had my routine scan about 2 weeks ago and everything seemed OK but I do need to get it checked out for my own piece of mind as you say.

gingerninja Wed 17-Sep-08 11:53:23

Thanks uptomyeyes.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 17-Sep-08 12:00:59

Could you call your GP and get him to fax a referral over to the EPU? I'm sure he wouldn't actually need to see you.

There is always the option of a private scan as well if you can afford it.

Take Care.

uptomyeyes Wed 17-Sep-08 12:02:57

Dammm that madwife. How about presenting at A and E as a fast track route to the EPU?? DH did that with me when our EPU insisted on a GP referral.

Has the spotting worsened? Can you take something to ease the pain - if I am in pain I start over compensating on that area and just cause myself even more pain through muscle ache. That pain then just reminds me of the problem constantly (I can't remember what pain relief is appropriate in pregnancy though certainly with DS3 I was prescribed massive doses of all sorts of medication to get me through)

gingerninja Wed 17-Sep-08 12:25:53

Hi I've rung the Dr's surgery and need to ring back after 2 to get an appointment for today so I may as well wait to see them. Our maternity hospital and A+E are miles apart so this is probably the best option.

The pain isn't too bad it's just discomfort and aches, similar to period pains I guess so I can manage without taking anything. Spotting hasn't worsened and it isn't by any means heavy, it is just that, spots. I think the associated discomfort is more of a worry.

I guess I'm also panicking myself because it's coincided with me starting to feel better (from morning sickness) and my breast tenderness easing too which would probably happen around this time anyway. But as the midwife said, could be a sign that something is about to happen sad

Well I guess I'll find out one way or another by the end of the week. Thankfully I have a two year old that is keeping me distracted and not too pre-occupied with it all (until I'm at work!)
Thanks all for your concern

clairebear88 Wed 17-Sep-08 13:37:33

Hi

Its hard as every woman and every pregnancy are different.
I was one of the unlucky ones and I was 13 weeks. I started getting spotting and bad cramps over a couple of days which gradually got worse and eventually led to me collapsing in work and having a journey in an ambulance. I did unfortunately mc but so many women go through similiar and everything is fine and dandy. Im sure you are one of those women

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you xx

LackaDAISYcal Wed 17-Sep-08 16:10:13

Hope you got to see someone for a scan gingerninja. wishing you and the baby well.

let us know how you got on smile

gingerninja Wed 17-Sep-08 19:43:19

Hi all, thanks for your messages. I went to the Dr this evening who was very supportive and attentive but not too concerned. She used a doppler and we did hear the babies heart beat for a split second before my sob jolted it out of the way and we couldn't find it again. But we did hear it which was encouraging.

Of course, she did say she couldn't predict the future which none of us can but for today, I feel reassured. Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive messages.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 17-Sep-08 19:46:36

That's great news gingerninja, hearing the HB for the first time is bloody marvellous. Fingers crossed it was just a bit of spotting and that all is well. Take it easy for a few days though; you deserve it after all this worry.

Good Luck smile

cocolepew Wed 17-Sep-08 19:50:55

Please take it easy for a few days FEET UP! Wishing you well smile

gingerninja Wed 17-Sep-08 20:06:13

Thanks I'll try. Not very good at sitting down though so may have to be sat on!

uptomyeyes Thu 18-Sep-08 16:50:38

Hang in there GRIPPER the 2nd grin

Hope4Future Fri 19-Sep-08 09:22:19

Hi gingerninja

Sounds like all is ok, but I told myself that after what happened to me (loss at 16 weeks), I would always try and help others who present with the same symptoms (cramps and bleeding). If I was you I would ask them to test for urine infection and swabs, as bleeding can make a nice place for the bacteria to grow. It would just be a precaution, but I wish they had done that with me.

I am sure you are fine, but I know you would want to do everything possible just in case. Also, I wouldn't trawl the internet for answers (as I did!), noone can really tell you what is happening and it may just scare you.

Hope all is well x

gingerninja Fri 19-Sep-08 16:07:05

Thanks Hopeforthefuture and sorry you had such an experience.

I have spoken to the midwife again today as still spotting (tiny amounts really and brown very brown) accompanied by discomfort and she did say pretty much sit tight.

I raised the issue of a potential infection but she said (as did the Dr) that they wouldn't be too keen to do an internal exam at this stage for fear of creating more problems than i already have. So I suppose I just go with it. She is coming on Sunday so hopefully I'll at least get to hear a heartbeat (if there is one still) and have some piece of mind.

I'm just not sure what else I can do. To be honest, nothing I guess. If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen. Sad but true. The reasurrance I got from the Dr on Wed quickly diminished the next day when I got more of the same so short of being scanned every day nothing is going to give me piece of mind at the moment so I have to get on with it.

Thanks anyway for your concern

LackaDAISYcal Fri 19-Sep-08 16:49:12

Take things easy GN and fingers and toes crossed that all is well. xx

Hope4Future Fri 19-Sep-08 20:44:47

Yes sorry, of course they are right about the internal. I should have thought! This would just push anything closer to gripper so best not to.

Just take it easy and drink plenty x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now