Talk

Advanced search

My second ectopic pregnancy - feeling a little apprehensive about methoxetrate

(7 Posts)
squanderedzeitgeist Wed 13-Aug-08 00:47:37

It's a little tiresome to say the least that I have to go through this again. My last ectopic was resolved through surgery but this time, more luckily perhaps, methoxetrate is looking like an option. It all sounds rather scary though. Has anyone lived to tell the tale? Help!

My one consolation is that I have a very gorgeous dd - she came along between the 2.

SuziBhoy Wed 13-Aug-08 14:20:07

Sorry to hear about your news!

Methotrexate isnt as bad as they make it sound. I had the injection last monday and the only side effect ive had is tiredness. its just a small injection below your hip. They told me that the drug desolves all the cells, and i could actually feel it working away, but its not painful at all.

Unfortunately you will probably bleed afterwards but this lasted a few days for me, and my hcg levels returned to normal within one week of injection. I am now feeling "normal" again.

I just have to wait 3 months before ttc again.

hope this helps.... let me know how you get on.

ScaryHairy Wed 13-Aug-08 17:33:31

It's really not as scary as it sounds and for me was a much better solution than surgery (of which I am terrified).

In my case I had 3 syringe-fulls in the bum. It's quite thick and takes a while to go in, but it is just a jab at the end of the day. I felt ok until two days later when my tummy because very bloated (damn chinese food) and I thought I was going to have to go back to the hospital because I was afraid of rupture. The pain passed after 6 hours or so and there was no more pain at all.

I didn't bleed until 12 days after the jab and then I only bled for 3 days. My periods came back as normal about 5 weeks after that.

For me it was a good treatment, but I did find it psychologically hard waiting for my HCG levels to go down. At one point I really felt like I just wanted it to be over and got terribly frustrated, but avoiding surgery did matter a lot to me.

If there's anything else you want to know, give me a shout.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 13-Aug-08 17:43:53

never had the injection, my ep was removed through surgery, but just wanted to say how very sorry i am x

HanniJay Wed 13-Aug-08 19:33:26

Sorry to hear you sad news, thinking of you. I had a slightly different experience of methotrexate, in that my hcg didn't fall enough after 1 dose and had to have a 2nd a week later. The injection itself was fine, but I found myself feeling hot all over about 30 mins after, which passed again quite soon, and then felt v tired and a bit bloated for a few days. They did warn me not to eat wind-inducing food (!!) as you can feel v uncomfortable with bloating. I bled for about 6 weeks, until my hcg came right down, and the time taken for complete resolution is the hardest part. However, I do think it means you avoid an anaesthetic and it can all be done as an outpatient.

The ectopic pregnancy trust has loads of info on methotrexate (there isn't much anywhere else), and make sure you get all the info you need from the hospital so you know when you need to go back etc.

Really hope it all goes ok, thinking of you.

ScaryHairy Wed 13-Aug-08 20:08:06

Oh, I had the hot thing too, Hannijay, but during the jabs not after, so they aimed a fan at me until I cooled down. Had forgotten that bit...

Link to the info on the EPT site here. It's worth a read.

I hope it goes ok, take care of yourself.

HanniJay Mon 18-Aug-08 13:41:49

Have been thinking of you squandered, how did it go? Hope all is well x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now