Talk

Advanced search

At work staring into space - started spotting yesterday

(11 Posts)
Kalikaroo Mon 11-Aug-08 13:17:04

I'm about 6 weeks pg and yesterday I started spotting. It's been fairly light and mostly brown (though there was some orange/red blood this morning). I don't have any cramps yet.

I can't see a doctor until tomorrow, though I know there's nothing anyone can do anyway apart from wait and see and it's probably too early to see anything on a scan.

Can't seem to concentrate much on work at all and I just really needed to get it off my chest and tell someone. I've told DH and he says try not to think about it hmm

It was a shock to find out I was pg since it was our first go, but now I'm used to the idea it feels so sad that it might not make it to the end.

ConstanceWearing Mon 11-Aug-08 13:18:17

Can't you go home and rest, Kalikaroo?

Kalikaroo Mon 11-Aug-08 13:23:05

Hi ConstanceWearing. I think I'll try and go home early - I can't really face anyone today and I've been hiding in my office most of the time. I've also spent the morning on mumsnet looking at all the miscarriage stories, which probably wasn't a great idea, but I really wanted to know about it since this is my fist pg.

funnypeculiar Mon 11-Aug-08 13:24:17

First thing to say is that lots of women bleed in pg & don't go on to miscarry. I bled with both of mine - now a healthy 4.5 yo and 2.5 yo. My mw said that she reckoned about 1 in 5 women bleed in early pg shock - like miscarriage, sadly, it's one of those things women often don't talk about.

Fwiw, with ds I had cramps, fairly heavy bleeding, inc clots, and bleed about 2/3 times a week for nearly the whole pg. I was finally diagnosed at 34 weeks with cervical erosion (common & utterly benign) - but they 'diagnosed' lots of other things on the way hmm Of my good friends, 3/4 have also had early pg bleeding.

Second thing is that light brown spotting is the best possible thing - means not much, and that it's old blood (ie you've actually already stopped bleeding.

Third thing - the scan you'll have will probably be transvaginal - did the doc tell you that? Much clearer than 'standard' scans, and ime, the EPU scanners are excellent... if all goes well you'll get an extra picture of your baby too smile

I won't tell you not to worry - I know that isn't possible. And of course, miscarriage is sadly common. BUT bleeding in early pg does NOT mean you'll loose the baby.

Good luck, & let me know how you get on tomorrow

x

SugarPig Mon 11-Aug-08 13:36:14

Try your best to get home and get your feet up - I did this at the first sign of spotting and it only lasted 24 hours - previously worked all the way through spotting and had a complete miscarriage.

Maybe it made no difference to the outcome in the end, but I am glad I took to my bed for few days and gave my body the best chance to do whatever it needed to do.

Kalikaroo Mon 11-Aug-08 13:36:22

Thanks for your support funnypeculiar. It's good to know that other people have had bleeding and then gone on to have a healthy pregnancy.

I'm trying not to think the worst and to keep an open mind. I also know that if it is a mc, then it's for the best since there is probably a good reason for it happening, though very sad.

I'm living abroad at the mo' so I have no idea about what the doctor will do or how things are done here in these circumstances. I get private medical care as part of my job. I've asked for a female doctor so I'm hoping she'll be ok (and will be able to speak English!).

I'll let you know what happens after I've been tomorrow.

ConstanceWearing Mon 11-Aug-08 13:41:32

I spotted with my first baby, round about the time my first couple of periods should have been due, IIRC.

Do try to go home if you can and rest up for the rest of the day. Once you've seen the doctor tomorrow I'm sure your mind will be much more at ease.

Wishing you all the best.

funnypeculiar Mon 11-Aug-08 13:45:19

Agree with sugarpig, btw - my (lovely, wonderful) GP signed me off for spotting because "It probably won't actually make any difference to the outcome. But you & I can both feel that we did everything we could to keep that baby in there - we'd both feel guilty if you kept going & the worst happened"

Transvaginal scan, fyi (& so you don't look shocked smile is like a huge dildo inserted into you - so you might prefer to wear a skirt (feels less exposed somehow).

MonkeyLover Mon 11-Aug-08 13:47:45

I had brown & red spotting with both pg at 6-7 weeks, and had no ill effects (have 2 healthy dcs to show for it). For me it was something to do with hormone levels at that stage causing cervical erosion.

It's a helluva worry though, and tomorrow must seem a long way away. Thinking of you & hope you can stop your mind racing.

Kalikaroo Tue 12-Aug-08 12:49:44

Well, went to see the doctor today (who was pregnant herself!). She told me to try and not worry too much(!) and that as long as the bleeding wasn't too bad and I didn't have nay pain I would probably be ok. She also said that I have 3 options:

1) to go and make an appointment with a midwife at the local hospital for a scan (though it might be too early to see any heartbeat).
2) make an appointment with a gynecologist for a 'more accurate' examination and scan.
or 3) to just wait and see.

I think I'll make a midwife appointment, since I'd have to pay to see a gynecologist. My DH is in favour of waiting til next week, but I'm not sure I can hmm.

I am feeling a bit more reassured, but not by much...!

I'm still passing a bit of brown blood, but no cramps, red blood or pain today.

Fingers crossed!!

Thanks for your support everyone - I'll let you know what happens when I see a midwife.

ConstanceWearing Thu 14-Aug-08 01:02:30

Hoping the best for you, Kalikaroo. First babies are so precious. Don't even hesitate to make a gynae appointment, if you need reassurance though. It will be money well spent, to put your mind at ease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now