Talk

Advanced search

PCOSand Metformin advice needed

(4 Posts)
shazzaren Fri 08-Aug-08 14:46:50

Following 3rd mmc last month, am off to consultant on Tuesday to discuss all the options he has thus far dismissed. He wants me to go to see Dr Armstrong at Portland for immunotherapy but hasnt given me any other options so far. He thinks my PCOS is not a contributing factor. Was listening to radio this morning and heard about metformin being a treatment for recurrent miscarriage of PCOS sufferers and wondered if anyone had any experience or knowledge of it.

misi Fri 08-Aug-08 18:04:16

metformin is an anti diabetic drug, a glucose scavenger type of thing. not heard of it to treat recurrent miscarriage but 40% of todays drugs are prescribed off licence so may be a new thing out. diabetes and PCOS can be causually linked so that may be another theory. have you been tested for anti phospholipid syndrome (hughes syndrome)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiphospholipid_syndrome

e1shw Mon 11-Aug-08 17:32:58

I have PCOS, and was prescribed Metformin after a miscarriage to regulate my periods. since then, they have been regular every 6 weeks, and I just found out last Thursday that i'm pregnant again. I would definately talk to your doctor about this treatment. Of course... it may take a bit to figure things out, but it's worth it!

annie4 Tue 09-Sep-08 13:17:00

Hi Shazzaren
Sorry to hear about your miscarriages. If you're not already organised with a consultant, I'd see Raj Rai or Lesley Regan at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington in the recurrent miscarriage unit. They test for everything and should be able to determine what's wrong.
I have PCOS, have had 4 miscarriages, and have been on metformin, but I have now been told to come off it as some research suggests it can increase the chance of miscarriage.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now