Talk

Advanced search

pregnancy after miscarriage

(5 Posts)
purlease Fri 25-Jul-08 13:57:47

In April, I had a miscarriage. Last month I had a chemical pregnancy BFP one week - AF and BFN a week later.

I have read on a number of threads where people have asked for early scans. What is the benefit of this?

The way I feel at the moment, the next time (fingers crossed) I get pregnant I will just hold out on GP appointment until 12 weeks when if I still feel pregnant or have not had AF, I can feel pretty confident of seeing something on the scan.

Is there anything health professionals can do to help in these early stages?

WorzselMummage Fri 25-Jul-08 15:20:12

No there isnt anything anyone can do.

I have had 3 mc and have just discovered i'm expecting again and i am not even planning on going to the drs this time till 8 or 9 weeks, there seems to be very little point.

I will ask for an early scan when i do go primarily because my most recent miscarriage was a mmc and the baby died at 9 weeks but we didnt find out till almost 13 weeks, I cannot go though that again because i dont think i'd get over it again.

A scan will only show what is going on on that day and i have experience of a scan being fine one week and then they baby dying the next.

I am truly sorry for your losses x

purlease Fri 25-Jul-08 15:24:04

That's exactly what I thought.

Fingers crossed for you this time around.

minster Fri 25-Jul-08 15:56:49

There's nothing they can do BUT there's lots of evidence that having highly supportive care ('TLC') on its own (i.e. no other medical treatment) - weekly or 2 weekly scans & appointments improves pregnancy outcome significantly in women with recurrent miscarriage.

Also when you're taking steroids/aspirin/clexane etc you don't want to take in longer than necessary - stopping them after a crappy 7 week scan is preferable than carrying on pointlessly until 12 weeks or whenever your body gets around to miscarrying.

I like to have a scan at 8 weeks because most chromosomal losses will have occurred by then & if it's okay at 8 weeks I can decide I am pregnant (at least temporarily).

purlease Fri 25-Jul-08 16:15:12

I suppose it takes the worry out of it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now