Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take to miscarry?

(18 Posts)
shandybass Wed 23-Jul-08 10:59:35

Hi
I was just wondering how long it will take to miscarry naturally? I should be just over 7 weeks pregnant but I started bleeding on Saturday and I'm still bleeding fairly heavily, today, Wednesday and wondering how long it will be. I've had cramps off and on but no clots or anything large.

I had an internal scan on Monday and there was no heartbeat and the measurments were more like 5 weeks so its pretty certaiin that this is a miscarriage. Very sad.

cmotdibbler Wed 23-Jul-08 11:03:44

I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby.

It can take anything up to a week for everything to pass, and maybe another week or so of bleeding after that.

Did the hospital not give you any guidance on what to expect ? They should do, but don't often do this.

shandybass I am really sorry for your loss!!

Yeah... have you been to your early pregnancy unit?? They should have explained everything to you, although I know when I was there on Friday (having my miscarriage) its hard to take in what they are saying to you isnt it?? And I had forgotten most of what they told me, things from that morning just keep coming back to me.

My miscarriage was a very different experience to yours so I dont know how long it will take naturally, sorry.

shandybass Wed 23-Jul-08 11:27:24

Thank you. I forgot to ask at the scan. I'm due back in a fortnight for a second scan. I only asked if it was best to rest or carry on exercising and such.

To be honest they didn't say much and I'm only less hopeful as I've had 1 miscarriage two months ago and from reading about others experiences here I know it is pretty much a definite.

As it is I'm on leave this week, but have cancelled most of our plans due to this. Yesterday I felt cramp free and was going to go for a day out today but feel worse again. I know its not been long, but its frustrating and I can't bear having to explain things to people again.

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 11:30:16

Shandybass - sorry to hear this. I had a miscarriage at 7 weeks almost exactly a year ago.

I bled heavily for 6 days, including clots, and a large piece that was the embryo. I then had a scan to check it had all gone, which it had.

Try to rest, and look after yourself.

Contact your GP/EPU if you have a high temperature, sickness or very severe pain.

Lubyloo Wed 23-Jul-08 12:05:51

Sorry you are going through this. My first miscarriage dragged on for a long time. About 5 weeks with a couple of days of really heavy bleeding four weeks in. Unfortunately it didn't all come away and I ended up needing a D&C.

My second miscarriage was much more straightforward and was just like a period lasting a week.

Unfortunately it seems to vary so much from woman to woman - there doesn't seem to be any set length of time these things go on for.

I hope it happens quickly for you and that your scan is clear. Take things easy and try and rest.

lizziemun Wed 23-Jul-08 12:23:02

Sorry for your loss.

When miscarried at 7/8wks i had a week of heavy bleeding and then 4/5 weeks of on off bleeding. Then 2 weeks later i had AF.

MamaHobgoblin Wed 23-Jul-08 12:25:36

I'm sorry about this. It sucks. I MC'd at 6 weeks, and the tissue part of it was over within 2.5 days. Cramps hurt like no period pain I've ever had. I suspect every MC is a bit different, but I hope yours is as fast as mine was. Bled like a period for the remaining 5 days or so, and that was it. FWIW, I started a period almost 28 days later from the date of the first bleeding, and got pregnant again pretty soon.

Badger your IPU to give support. They should be able to let you know what to expect. I found my GP very supportive too, while it was going on.

cornsilk Wed 23-Jul-08 12:27:15

sad
sorry Shandybass.

CatIsSleepy Wed 23-Jul-08 12:33:28

sad for you shandybass

well it can vary alot but I had an mc at a similar stage to you about 3 years ago

I think I was scanned at 6 weeks and they found no heartbeat

then I had heavy bleeding a week later for a few days but did not pass any large pieces of tissue, which was confirmed by another scan

booked in for ERPC about a week Later (I think, timing is hazy in my mind now)

day of ERPC passed lump of tissue (sorry to put it like that) but no bleeding-was already in hospital by then

they scanned me again and found small pieces remaining so I went ahead with ERPC

Hope it is over quickly for you, take care of yourself x

silvermum Wed 23-Jul-08 14:20:30

shandybass i had a miscarriage at the same stage as you about ten days ago. i had spotting of blood for four days, then a heavyish period like thing for a week. now nothing. i didn't pass many clots so no idea if it's all gone or not, but feel it probably has.
hopefully it will be over quite quickly for you.
x

shandybass Wed 23-Jul-08 15:55:25

Thank you for your info and thoughts.

I will try and take it easy and hope its all over for the scan. Luckily I'm only in work for 1.5 days next week, so hopefully I can get by without too much of a fuss.

I don't know about you but I hate telling people, I feel such a failure, whereas dh thinks its best just to say, probably best but I just find it more upsetting and somehow feel its private. And I don't think I want to go through the inevitable oh well it'll be ok next time chats again.

Having said that I am hopeful of 3rd time lucky. Almost all of the people who said they'd mc to me last time had had 2 before going ahead to have a healthy baby.

CatIsSleepy Wed 23-Jul-08 16:03:33

I only told family and one or 2 friends
there's no need to tell people if you'd rather not sb

I had only told a few people that I was pregnant, well someone at my sons school had seen me going into the midwife and blabbed there so had to tell them, and still yesterday someone said "Aw thats what your babies going to be like", so had to go through it all again when I thought the word had spread... hey ho just one of those things I suppose. Told my dad the week before the miscarriage and he is now on holiday so not able to tell him, dont know if thats good or bad but will have to tell him either way wont I??

silvermum Wed 23-Jul-08 17:58:52

yeah, it's no fun telling people is it....but some people i've told have been absolutely lovely and supportive, so there is an upside to sharing the experience.
am seeing the GP for the first time since the m/c at the end of this week ( i was lucky enough to be staying with my best friend, who is a GP, when it all happened, so didn't have to go to my own GP.) am wondering if they will send me for another scan. am kind of hoping not - not keen on the whole "oh yes, i can see you have an empty womb" type experience...just rubs it in, doesn't it sad

When they sent me for a scan the woman said "Well as you already know, because you gave birth on the toilet at home, you have had a miscarriage... blah blah blah", oh how bloody nice!!

I dont think people know what to do with me to be honest, and if I am honest I think I need a hug from my mum but that will start me off again and dont want that either because I think if I start then I will keep going for days.

daisy5 Wed 23-Jul-08 19:46:51

I'm so sorry. I miscarried last month - my little one didn't make it past 9 weeks but I didn't miscarry until 12 weeks. Mine was quite fast - most in the first two hours, then all over after two days except for spotting for two weeks - it seems like everyone is very different.

I was lucky to go private (missed miscarriage covered by our health insurance) and both my scanner and doctor were absolutely lovely - I couldn't have asked for better care. Sorry to hear yours wasn't so great.

shandybass Fri 25-Jul-08 08:40:29

Well I seem to be over the worst. I passed the sac I think it was yesterday and am down to light bleeding after 7 days so hopefully it should ease off now.

I must say it was less traumatic than my last mc which was a missed mc and I had to go into hospital and was passing big clotty type things. Sorry tmi, but I guess I was expecting that again this time and so felt I had to be housebound.

Having said that it seems like lots have different experiences and I was further gone last time and hadn't started bleeding naturally.

Anyway thanks for your posts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now