Talk

Advanced search

How long before trying again? Hospital says news research suggests 6 months?

(32 Posts)
Diege Fri 18-Jul-08 14:30:22

Had a D&C yesterday for missed miscarriage at 10 weeks (foetus measuring 7, no heartbeat). Am nowhere near thinking about ttc yet obviously, but leaflet from Miscarriage Assocaition said we can try again after 1 af. TBH, it was this thought that got me through yesterday, but as we were leaving were told that new research suggests waiting 6 months for best pregnancy outcomes. No-one could tell me what the research was or who published it, but I would be interested to read it; I'm an academic so no doubt could manage to 'bend' any conclusions to suit!
I'm also 38 so not sure that any benefits of 'waiting' would be outweighed by the months ticking by...
Just wondered if anyone else had heard of this research? Thanks smile

silvermum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:53:56

i definitely have not and would have thought that even if such evidence exists, it would probably be outweighed by the disadvantages of waiting, in the case of older women. not a doctor but just thinking common sense wise - time is of the essence after we reach 35.

roquefortlover Fri 18-Jul-08 17:59:53

Hmm. I had an mc 10 days ago - I was 9 weeks but foetus had stopped growing at 5 ish wks, so had been diagnosed as MMC but didn't need a D&C as bleeding started before appointment.

When I asked the doc he said no need to wait at all, that they usually advised waiting for 1 AF but this was more for dating, no evidence that conceiving straight away would lead to another mc.

I really want to believe them, I am nearly 41 and have other logistical pressures which mean I really don't want to wait.

At the same time not sure I can handle another mc (I had a cp in March too...) So anyway I think we will resume ttc after 1st AF!

WorzselMummage Fri 18-Jul-08 18:12:06

I had a mmc at 13 weeks in feb and was told we could start ttc as soon as the bleeding had stopped, we were told to make the most of the supposed boost to fertility being recently pregnant is supposed to give. We were never told to wait even for one cycle they just get to get right back to it.

We're still waiting for another bfp so 6 month here anyway.

i'd quite like to read the research, do you know who did it ?

snooks Fri 18-Jul-08 18:26:11

Just my personal experience but i had a mc last july at 9 weeks on the dot. I really didn't want to wait to try again (just my way of dealing with it i suppose) and fell pg immediately before i had even had an af.

2 scans showed that i conceived 6 days after passing the foetal sac hmm - still slightly sceptical about that dating tbh, even tho my midwife says it is possible, but nevertheless dd3 was born just before due date and is now almost 12 weeks, happy and healthy. I'm 37 btw so was aware of the passage of time too.

good luck to all you going thru the mc/ttc stage, i know it's a rollercoaster x

Diege Fri 18-Jul-08 18:54:41

Good to hear your stories - seems that waiting for first af (at the most!) is still usual advice. It's what I'd like to do, but have this 'research' at back of my mind. Two separate nurses said it was the 'latest research' and was the new 'Trust' advice, yet couldn't give me details which I thought a bit odd hmm. I've e-mailed the Miscarriage Association to see if they can cast any light on it, and post on here if they are any the wiser!
Just really want to get cracking after a month or two as age is against me! Still really numb after yesterday, so good to hear I'm not alone smile.

sarah293 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:56:39

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Fri 18-Jul-08 18:57:36

the GYN who performed my D&C for missed miscarriage said we can try as soon as we felt emotionally ready.

Turns out, we didn't right away, and it took about 8 weeks for my cycle to come back, but after that we tried again and I'm 25 weeks pregnant.

I'm 37 myself.

Go for it when you both feel ready.

Best of luck!

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 18-Jul-08 19:10:26

Sorry to hear of your mmc.

You don't even need to wait for 1 cycle though, never mind 6!

Doctor advised us to wait until we got home before trying again winkgrin.

Diege Fri 18-Jul-08 19:28:11

I'm liking this advice much better than the hospital's grin.
Expat, ignore me if I'm being mad but was it you I sent the persona to in 2005? Does your name begin with the letter 'K'?? Oh and congrats with the current pregnancy!

expatinscotland Fri 18-Jul-08 19:30:51

yes, diege! i conceived DD2 with it - she was born december, 2005.

and i still have it! need it back? i'd be happy to post it along.

Diege Fri 18-Jul-08 19:35:52

LOL, no I don't want it back grin Your name rung a bell and I'd been meaning to ask for a while but it seemed odd hijacking other threads to ask grin. I remember now the thread we were on - my dd was born Nov 2005 smile Glad it brought you luck!

expatinscotland Fri 18-Jul-08 19:37:20

Sorry for your loss and hope your recovery is quick!

I had my missed M/C back in December, 2007.

Our son is due 28 October 2008.

Diege Fri 18-Jul-08 19:41:12

Thanks smile. Feel happier now I know that 6 months isn't the 'official' time to wait. Good luck for October, it's great having 3 LOs smile

mamabea Fri 18-Jul-08 19:42:57

so very sorry to hear you lost your baby.I hope that you can be supported through this difficult time.

I had two miscarriages after DD1 9 months apart. The second was particularly awful, but felt 'ready' to try again straight away and fell pregnant the following month and carried DD2 to term .

very good luck

expatinscotland Fri 18-Jul-08 19:44:50

After the initial, 'OMG, what have we done?' I'm sure having 3 will be fab.

As you can see, a lot of us conceived soon after D&C, so here's hoping you go the same way.

cmotdibbler Fri 18-Jul-08 19:46:26

I had a good look on Pubmed (which lets you search all the medical journals), and couldn't find anything in the last 2 years on this.

When I got pg straight after mc3 the recurrent miscarriage consultant said that it didn't make any difference how long you waited unless it was a very late miscarriage, or there was infection. That pg has just gone to sleep after insisting on watching the blasted Tweenies with horses episode again.

becaroo Fri 18-Jul-08 19:48:26

Sorry for your loss.

I had a miscarriage the week before xmas last year and conceived again 17 days afterwards....not planned but am now 31 weeks! smile

After the miscarriage I asked the (excellent) nurse at the Early Pregnancy Unit at the hospital how long I should wait before trying again and she said its best to wait for 1 period so you are sure of your dates, but other thaqn that there is no reason to wait.

Habbibu Fri 18-Jul-08 19:54:56

Sorry for you loss, Diege. I have to wait until Christmas at least (sulk) as I had a molar pregnancy diagnosed in April, and am on follow-up, but that's the only reason I've heard of for 6 months. Tried pubmed, but nothing obvious so far. It is interesting - could you post if you find out more? After losing dd1 at 21 weeks we had to wait 3 months (to take high dose folic acid) - felt like a lifetime to begin with, but we took the time to get as healthy as we could, and dd2 was born safe, well and huge! Good luck.

snooks Fri 18-Jul-08 19:58:31

re the dates thing and waiting for 1 af, you will have a dating scan anyway which will pinpoint your due date, so if you feel emotionally ready to try then go for it - i know everyone feels different though (i needed to focus on the future).

best of luck!

Diege Fri 18-Jul-08 21:07:45

Thanks again for your messages. Habbibu I am so sorry for the loss of your first daughter sad but happy that you went on to have a second little girl.
It's so strange, I keep forgetting that I'm not pregnant and find myself rubbing my tummy (I had a bump)and then feeling so wretched when my mind springs back to reality. I know it is so soon, but just want to feel normal again. Dreading going into work on Monday, but then I'm on annual leave until end of August so can get through that one day.
I'll carry on searching for the report, and post if I find it...In the meantime will concentrate on losing a bit of weight and getting rid of my caffeine habit. I didn;t realise that even 200g was apparently linked to miscarriage, though am sensible enough not to start blaming myself!

babymutha Sat 19-Jul-08 22:29:32

Dear Diege
I had first pregnancy miscarriage 1st Jan 2007 - was so awful I thought I would never get over it. Desperately wanted to get pregnant as soon as was possible - doc said could try again straight away but naturopath advised waiting 3 months - emotionally and physically. As she helped us conceive in the first place we took her advice - over 3 months I started to feel really well and strong again, and we conceived really quickly soon after (had been waiting 2 years first time). Maniac n1Daughter now 7 months - heart very much mended. Good luck with getting healthy and mending....
x

I miscarried yesterday at 11 weeks, and they told me it was when i felt ready. They said some people try straight away and some leave it until they are completly over it.

Sorry not much help am I?? But I am sorry for you loss!!

XX

Diege Sun 20-Jul-08 10:53:45

Thanks Babymutha and wickedwitch - I'm sorry for both your losses; WW, you are very brave to be posting so soon - it helps just to hear from others who have gone through the same - you were just a week ahead of me sad. Baby, I don't think we'll be ttc straight away, will probably go with the 2/3 month wait to get in the best possible health. I do need to weigh up my age too (38) so 2 to 3 months sounds a fair compromise I think smile. Bleeding seems to have calmed down, though I have a worrying sharp pain on my left side low down when I wee. Not sure what this might be? Hopefully first af won't be too long smile

karma Wed 23-Jul-08 22:12:44

Have had four miscarriages, and after the last one my consultant recommended waiting 6 months - he couldn't cite any research but said he had a gut feeling that this was of benefit from his own experiences. I was dubious as I was 38 at the time (now 39) but as I seem to conceive quite quickly I decided to do as he advised. The six months are up now and we have just started trying again. Don't know whether it will help us but keeping everything crossed. At the end of the day you have to do what's right for you and your circumstances. Wishing you all the best with whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now