Talk

Advanced search

Baby Asprin

(21 Posts)
SUSIEHAS Wed 16-Jul-08 18:26:46

Hi, I had my second miscarriage last week at 6 weeks, I also had a miscarriage in Jan this year at 6 weeks (exactly same day as first one) I have no children. The hospital were very good with me (as I was hysterical at the time) they said because it had happened at exact same time both times that next time I become pregnant they will put me on a small dose of baby asprin as soon as I find out and this could help. This has helped me stay posative over the last week, but today am having a down day and am worrying thinking how could that work. Has any1 got sucess stories from Asprin??

Thanks

christiana Wed 16-Jul-08 18:34:05

Message withdrawn

sue10 Thu 17-Jul-08 09:30:37

Sorry to hear of you mc susie, taking aspirin is controversal as some consultants agree with it and some dont as they think it interferres with the implantaion. Some people say it is because of the aspirin that they now have a chld as where others say it caused their mc's!!! It's a personal choice i think but good luck and let us now how you get on. Am pleased you have dd christiana, sorry for you mc though.
XXX.

daisy5 Thu 17-Jul-08 12:25:10

I am really interested in this....can anyone attach any links of articles they have read. I just had a chemical pregnancy and a miscarriage, so considering it as an option.

orangehead Thu 17-Jul-08 12:34:16

I had 3 mcs (12 weeeks, 7 weeks and 10 weeks)all tests come back fine. I asked about baby aspirin and they said yes you can take it if you like. I took if for my next two pregs which were successful and I have two lovely boys. Obviously cant say it was the aspirin for sure but I will definnitly be taking it again when I preg again (not for a while yet though). I am so sorry for your losses. Sue I was told it would do no harm taking as it is low dose. But this was 7 years ago, is that something new

justjules Thu 17-Jul-08 12:40:43

hang on i will find thread,

i am pleased to say i had dd last week after 3 m/cs,

i was on asprin and heparin,

justjules Thu 17-Jul-08 12:42:45

read this thread for lots of help and info

sorry you are suffering sad

SUSIEHAS Thu 17-Jul-08 13:00:33

Thanks for all the posts make me feel better. Justjules what is heparin is that something else that can help??

justjules Thu 17-Jul-08 13:03:36

yes, it is a drug they give you to inject,

it is not as bad as it sounds,

it is a blood thinning drug,

helps the blood flow from mum to baby,

it is suggested that if the blood gets to think/clots then it is block the flow/supply from the placenta and stop the pg from progressing,

it is something they may look at after 3 m/c,

have you had any blood tests done?

talilac Thu 17-Jul-08 13:06:45

Heparin is a blood thinner, as is Aspirin to a lesser extent. Please don't take it or aspirin unless your GP advises it.

The theory is that some M/Cs happen because women have blood clotting problems, ie their blood clots too easily and that can interfere with a pregnancy. Some people can have this show up in testing, with other people its an educated guess that this is the problem, so they stick you on the aspirin.

orangehead Thu 17-Jul-08 13:11:24

Talilac- it is the hospital that has advised it to her

SUSIEHAS Thu 17-Jul-08 13:13:42

Oh thanks for explaining. The doctor has said that because this is my second miscarriage at 6 weeks that next time asprin will be perscribed as soon as I find out I am pregnant, so as far as I know no tests are being done. They said my womb maybe a little hard for it to implant and asprin could help!!!! Any1 heard this before??

SUSIEHAS Thu 17-Jul-08 13:13:45

Oh thanks for explaining. The doctor has said that because this is my second miscarriage at 6 weeks that next time asprin will be perscribed as soon as I find out I am pregnant, so as far as I know no tests are being done. They said my womb maybe a little hard for it to implant and asprin could help!!!! Any1 heard this before??

talilac Thu 17-Jul-08 13:14:27

I thought they'd suggested aspirin next time, not Heparin?

I was told the reason your GP / consultant / midwife needs to know if you're taking aspirin during a pg is in case surgery is required ie CS, they will want you to have stopped it for a few weeks before.

orangehead Thu 17-Jul-08 13:17:50

sorry, I thought you your refering to the aspirin. I should learn to read grin.

sue10 Thu 17-Jul-08 14:03:35

Congratulations Justjules what wonderful news!!!! how easy is it to inject yourself with the heparin and did you have any side effects at all? Also did you have prednisolone aswell to supress the nkcells? Hope im not asking tooooo many questions?
Some clinics suggest that by taking aspirin when ttc it can cause difficulties in implantation b ut other clinics disagree, did you take aspirin when ttc or when got a positive preg result?
XXX.

justjules Thu 17-Jul-08 15:43:49

where to start...

asprin at 75 is very low dose,

it can be used before or after ttc,

there are some consultants who believe in some women it can hinder implantation, so recommend it at point of bfp,

and others who believe you should take it while ttc so you benifit from the earliest point,

i took it at bfp, i did not have a problem getting pregnant, i had a problem staying pregnant,

asprin actually does a different job to heparin, asprin thins the blood, heparin (also called fragmin, clexane or lovenox) makes the blood less 'sticky'

some women have successful pregnancies on just asprin, others need the two combined to make a difference,

the reason you need to tell your doc about taking asprin is it can/may affect you blood tests during pregnancy, also, it can be a problem if you have a bleeding disorder you didnt know about, also, your platelets will need checking to make sure they dont drop too low, this is the reason you need to withdraw it before any surgery,

my consultant says 24 hours before a CS is enough but on talking to the anetheatist, he says 5 days in advance is better as it takes that long to get out your system, and if you needed a quick section there is a chance, if your platlets are too low you would need GA as you may not be able to have a epidural/spinal (something to do with blood levels)

i didnt take the other drug (beginning with p) for the NK cells thing, i know people who have and had sucessful pregnancies after 5/6 m/c, there is a doctor at LWH called siobhan quenby who is an expert in this field, i was lucky enough to meet her by chance and she is the loveliest lady, she is a big promoter of new research into causes of problem pregnancies,

heparin jabs are ok, they sting a bit (like a wasp sting) for a few minutes after doing it but well worth it now when i cuddle my beautiful dd smile

i honestly thought i would never get there, but i did, i do remember the dark days, they were the worst of my life, dd has gone a long way to healing some of the scars, i know i am blessed to have her,

dont give up, if you need any more advice, just shout, good luck...

lulumama Thu 17-Jul-08 15:47:13

congartulations jules!! did you post birth announcement??

justjules Thu 17-Jul-08 15:52:08

lol,

not yet lulu,

not had a chance,

she made a suprise early entrance to the world and i was in hospital for a while,

she is so lovely smile

talilac Thu 17-Jul-08 17:24:24

By the way Susie, we had 3 successive miscarriages, but after that went on to have 2 beautiful DDs. Hold on in there. x

lulumama Thu 17-Jul-08 17:24:42

well, i am just delighted for you, and i am glad all is well. do post all the details when you get a mo! winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now