Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Management of miscarriage at 16 weeks

(19 Posts)
minster Fri 11-Jul-08 18:27:30

I'm getting ever more sure that my scan tomorrow is just going to confirm that the baby is dead (I'll be 16+3).

When I lost a baby at 16 weeks before it was a placental abruption - I started bleeding very heavily, went to A&E & was pretty much immediately taken to theatre.

This time it's a missed miscarriage - from what I've read they give you prostaglandins like they do to induce labour at term. I've had two previous sections though - is it safe? Is there a risk of uterine rupture?

unfitmother Fri 11-Jul-08 18:32:39

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I lost DS2 at 22 weeks. I had previously had a section also. I was given prostgladins to induce labour at no point was my previous section an issue.
Labour was mercifully brief and easy as the baby is so small. You will be given the choice wether you miss to see the baby straightaway or not.

I hope your worst fears are not realised, thinking of you.

Nemoandthefishes Fri 11-Jul-08 18:34:33

hope your worries are unfounded.
I had a missed mc discoever at 15wks but they said baby had died at 12wks so was able to have a d+c. that may still be an option for you if it is a missed mc.

minster Fri 11-Jul-08 19:06:05

Thanks - baby had a heart beat on Monday & Tuesday so we think it died on Wednesday at the earliest, so it should be about the right size for 16 weeks. It was measuring ahead at 12 weeks

I'm so scared.

WorzselMummage Fri 11-Jul-08 19:10:57

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, i hope you get a better outcome then the one you are expecting.

(((hugs))

minster Sat 12-Jul-08 17:55:07

It was confirmed this morning I've had the mifeprostone & will be back on Monday for the induction. The dr I saw was very good & rang the consultant at home to check that it would be safe to induce given my 2 sections. She says it is much safer than trying to do aan ERPC at this point - the baby was measuring nearly 17 weeks

juneybean Sat 12-Jul-08 17:59:43

I'm so sorry hugs

unfitmother Sat 12-Jul-08 18:01:02

I am sorry minster, I'm sure you're feeling numb at the moment. I hope the hospital help guide you through.
The only thing, I wasn't warned about was my milk coming through. Have you BF before? I had only stopped a year before so it was quite bad, be prepared.
You haven't mentioned a DP/H have you got someone supporting you?

All the best.

WorzselMummage Sat 12-Jul-08 19:08:36

Oh you poor love (( massive hugs))

I am thinking of you and your family xx

minster Sat 12-Jul-08 19:26:24

Thanks.

Unfitmother - I'm still breastfeeding my son although they've told me I can't feed him for two weeks because of the mifeprostone so God knows what will happen. I have a dh ... we'll muddle through somehow.

I'm absolutely terrified, my head hurts - they gave me some sleeping pills for tonight - don't know whether to ask to see baby or not etc

unfitmother Sat 12-Jul-08 20:31:58

Hi Minster,
glad to hear about the sleeping pills, I wish I'd had them, I didn't sleep for days!
I was given the choice of seeing my baby straightaway or waiting. I chose for them to take the baby away and then they brought him into me, in a Moses basket, when I was ready.
I was treated very well but my only regret is that I didn't ask them to leave DH and alone with him for a while.
We were given photos and footprints of him and I keep them in a memory box.

Thinking of you,

minster Sun 13-Jul-08 16:17:27

Unfitmother do you think if I took a blanket for the baby they'd use it for her? We're going to have a postmortem & then a hospital funeral I think.

unfitmother Sun 13-Jul-08 16:22:54

They'd do what ever you ask, you know it's a girl?
Be warned the post mortem results take a long time and they don't always provide a reason. We had a funeral service, just DH and I went and it was so beautiful and moving.We have a grave that I visited a lot at first, gradually not needing to go as often. It is lovely to have somewhere to go and remember.
My DCS take it all in their stride and talk about him in a very matter of fact way. How old are your other DCs?

minster Sun 13-Jul-08 16:56:32

They think it's a girl (from the scans) I assume we'll find out for sure at the PM. They seem to be quite well organised - they use the JR in Oxford to do the PM & have follow ups at 4 & then 6 weeks for the results. The bereavement mw range me yesterday but I couldn't think of anything to say.

My kids are nearly 8 & 2 - 2yo hasn't been away from me overnight yet (they'll be with my mum), I've been through it before with dd - bracing myself for billions of questions.

unfitmother Sun 13-Jul-08 17:01:38

Do you know if you'll be on a labour ward or a gynae ward? That's a question to ask. It may mean a difference in visiting and whether DH can stay overnight if needed.

McDreamy Sun 13-Jul-08 17:03:13

So sorry Minster, so very sorry sad

minster Sun 13-Jul-08 17:19:55

Labour ward - they have a bereavement room, TV/fridge/kettle etc & double bed so dh can stay. Afterwards though I'll have an ERPC to remove the placenta so I'll end up on gynae I think.

unfitmother Sun 13-Jul-08 17:30:31

That's good, I really appreciated the 'family' room as the one I was in was called. It made such a difference having privacy and physical comforts. Mine had a phone so I could ring my mum who, like yours, was looking after my 2 yr old. Sorry to hear about the ERPC, I suppose it all depends what stage of pregnancy you're at, I didn't need to but I was 22 weeks.

pen36 Thu 24-Jul-08 22:32:30

Really sorry to read the sad messages. I had IVF and found out at the routine 13 wk scan that the baby had died in the previous 24 hours. I was induced a week later and gave birth. We were in the labour ward and they really looked after us well which was lovely. We did see the baby and held him (97% sure was a boy because it had prune belly which affects boys in 97% of cases). Coped very well in the hospital but since have been really really upset.
I hope your experience is not too traumatic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now