Talk

Advanced search

Expectant Management - can I do anything to help it along?

(3 Posts)
scaredQ Wed 07-Oct-20 23:38:37

Sadly I had it confirmed today that I have miscarried at 8 weeks. The experience in the hospital was so strange (I want to say awful but maybe this is normal?)- two doctors weren't overly communicative. They did an internal scan and even though I knew in my heart, I still had a little bit of hope - I saw there was no baby or heartbeat straight away but they were looking around and talking themselves so a small part of me was naively waiting for them to find the baby. Eventually they stopped and said that I'll have to come back next week for another scan to see if the placenta has gone. It all felt so surreal and it didn't help that they did not actually say specifically what was happening. Is this normal? Sorry - I didn't mean to have a rant!

I am now just kinda numb - going between crying and feeling relief that I finally know what has happened. I honestly never realised how horrendously drawn out this awful experience is. I now just want it to be over. Does anyone know if there are any natural ways to help things along? I really want to avoid any surgery etc.

OP’s posts: |
Rumples Thu 08-Oct-20 07:21:16

Hi @scaredQ

So sorry for what you're going through. I got told yesterday that I'm going to miscarry too and it really is awful.

I have to go back in 2 weeks if nothing has happened naturally.

I wish I knew how to get it started but I really don't think there is anything other than waiting.

It isn't good enough if they didn't explain things to you. The doctor explained it to me and then a nurse took me aside and went through everything. So you shouldn't have more support and explanation.

Hope you're okay, I'm the same and just want it to be over so I can move on xx

cheeseislife8 Thu 08-Oct-20 07:33:49

Hi there, I'm so sorry for both of you flowers
Mine was 2 years ago now. I went for my initial scan, was given the awful news, and told to come back in 2 weeks for another scan, after which if nothing has happened naturally then they'd discuss medical management or surgical. In the meantime though, the only option was to wait.
Waiting was the worst for me, knowing the baby had died but was still there. But as far as I know there is nothing to be done to speed it up at this stage unfortunately, which is why the medical management was the next step.
Mine did pass naturally.
Do be prepared though, its different for everyone but I was under prepared for the bleeding when it did occur and I wish someone had advised me to stock up on heavy duty sanitary towels in readiness.
I'm so sorry for your loss flowers

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in