Talk

Advanced search

Miscarriages due to possible hormone Imbalance

(3 Posts)
Bluesky2021 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:54:25

Hi all.
I've experienced 4 miscarriages in the past year, with 3 of these being chemicals.

Been referred to begin investigations. The consultant suggested there's a possibility I have polycystic ovaries. She said there were abnormalities in the hormone levels. I'm lean so she has recommended i put on weight to increase bmi. My periods are regular and I have no symptoms at all of PCOS so I believe I could possible have the polycystic ovaries but not the whole syndrome.

Has anyone been in a similar position? I have conceived 4 times in a year so there must be something going wrong after this stage. Just looking to discuss with others who have experienced similar or who appreciate the feelings surrounding this limbo waiting game!

OP’s posts: |
kittlesticks Sun 27-Sep-20 13:22:03

Sorry to hear about your losses. I had 3 losses before I was able to have my 2 DCs and it was an awful time. I did not get pregnant too quickly either so in total I think it took 4 years to have those 3 losses.
After 3 losses you are entitled to nhs tests, as you say. These may come back with a cause which is great because there is medication you can take.
Were you able to have your third loss tested for viability? The most common reason for miscarriages is genetic problems in the baby, which is something you can't do anything about.
The nhs had no reasons for our losses which at the time felt devastating, I just wanted there to be a cause. To double check everything I decided to pay to go private, I was tested for something called 'natural killer cells' which did come back positive. I was prescribed steroids to take until I was 16 weeks pregnant.
It took a while to get pregnant again on the treatment but I didn't have any other losses and had two DC who are now 3 and 1.
I do think that most of the time it comes down to luck but I wanted to cover all bases. You are doing the right thing having the tests done.
I'm happy to PM you about the follow up tests I had done too.
Take care

kittlesticks Sun 27-Sep-20 13:25:17

I should also add there are various schools of thought around natural killer cells. Some clinics believe that these cause miscarriages, some believe it's more about the womb lining, however I think most of the time the treatment is similar, steroids, progesterone, extra folic acid.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in