Talk

Advanced search

D&C 3 months ago and period hasnt returned.

(10 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Lucyrosexo Thu 13-Feb-20 10:57:57

I'm new here! I've had 2 miscarriages first one naturally . Second was a missed mc. Heart beat present but the baby had not grown to the size it should have been. I had to wait for the heart beat to stop before taking medication to help me pass the pregnancy but this didnt work so had to have a d&c as the sack didnt pass. The d&c was on the 25th November 2019, we are now in February 2020 and I still havent had af arrive back. I have been to the drs and all they keep telling me to do is wait!! Surely this isnt normal, right? I'm so scared about scaring and j have heard about ashermans as well. Is 3 months along time to just carry on and wait? Do you think I should be pushing the drs? Its effecting my mental health sad

OP’s posts: |
soniamumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Feb-20 14:42:54

Hi @Lucyrosexo just bumping this for you, so hopefully some Mumsnetters will be along soon with useful advice.

We've also moved it over to our Miscarriage/pregnancy loss section. flowers.

LASandOtto Fri 14-Feb-20 18:46:19

Hey OP

I've had an ERPC and didn't have to wait that long for AF to return.

Do you get any AF type pains and cramps but no bleeding? That could indicate there may be some adhesions from the surgery. I don't want to concern you as Asherman's is apparently rare but from all the reading I did (which was extensive), it's just not something that's easily diagnosed and most GP's don't even know what it is.

You'd best get referred to a gynaecologist. Go armed with some info on Ashermans to the GP and demand a referral.

Hopefully that'll give you some answers and all may be well, but better to check and know.

Sorry for your losses too. It's a shit time and it's not made easier when things don't resume 'normality' after.

Riggles78 Fri 14-Feb-20 21:43:07

@Lucyrosexo Did you have any follow up with the EPU or gynae ward that you attended for your D&C? Not sure how it varies from place to place but the ward sister who was looking after me said they would keep an eye on me until I had a negative test and first AF post surgical management and refer me if things didn't return to normal.
As @LASandOtto has said, I think I would be at my Drs and asking for a referral to a gynaecologist to check your symptoms out.

Lucyrosexo Sun 16-Feb-20 11:59:29

Hey both!

So the day after I started this thread I started bleeding! It only lasted two days though, and was very light compared to a normal period? I have a drs appointment booked for the end of Feb. The earliest they could see me. So I will keep that drs appointment still due to this bleed not being any where near a normal period. I have read online normally your first one is more heavier after a d&c.

No they didnt do any follow up with me, they said because they scan you after the procedure there is no need to do any follow ups, they did ask me to do a pregnancy test which I did and tests are negative.

I have read about ashermans and that is what I was scared of. Have read about people having scaring etc which caused things like this.

It's just so.horrible waiting for your body to get back to normal.

Thanks for replying smile

Lucyrosexo Tue 25-Feb-20 16:45:20

So an update - drs are sending.me for blood tests and also an ultrasound to make sure there is no damage.

LASandOtto Tue 25-Feb-20 16:49:46

That's a good first step. An ultrasound cannot always assess damage correctly from what I've read, so you may want to read up further if you think you're affected and see whether a hysteroscopy or laparoscopy are advisable.

Chickenandegg8 Fri 28-Feb-20 19:54:03

Hi Op,
I was in a similar situation to you. And so terrified of ashermans.
I went to a private gynaecologist in the end as I got nowhere with the gp.
The gynaecologist said I should have had blood test to test my level of hcg, if below 5 (I think) then all the miscarriage tissue has passed. If not then there could be some retained tissue which is why you’re not getting your period. I was told you can still get a negative pregnancy test with a very small amount of hcg in your body.
I actually ended up passing a 1cm long and very thin piece of tissue nearly 12 weeks after my d&c. I was told this wouldn’t have shown up in a scan or could be mistaken for a very small clot which is why it’s important to have a hcg blood test.
I was only having very light bleeds after my d&c as I wasn’t ovulating due to the retained tissue. So my uterus lining wasn’t building up. But my body was still thinking it needed to shed my lining every 4 weeks so I had the lightest of periods for a few months which terrified me.

The gynaecologist then gave me clomid to kick start my cycle as it was all over the place. And thankfully everything went back to normal.

Lucyrosexo Fri 28-Feb-20 23:20:02

Hello, LASandotto I've heard a hysteroscopy has bought awnser to a few woman. I will bare this in mind if I dont get anywhere - thanks!!

Chickenandegg- it's nice hearing from people.whonjave experienced similar! I had such a complicated mc I have had thoughts about tissue still being there. I think there testing my hormone levels with this blood test they are doing, not sure if that would.bring up hcg? But will bare that in mind - thank you smile inhale bleed, 2x each very very light and lasted no more than a day. They wernt the usual length apart either to be a period, the second bleed was only around 2 weeks after my one, my periods have always been regular.

I'm glad everything went back to normal smile thanks for your reply.

copperoliver Sat 29-Feb-20 00:24:17

Hi.i had a miscarriage and it didn't come away had a D and C still did not come away, only found this out because a few months later I had no period. One even had this horrendous pain for hours couldn't move off the sofa it was so bad. After this pain for hours had his urge to push. Went to the toilet and literally pushed the sack out myself. With in minutes the pain was gone. I had to take it out of the toilet and take it to hospital for testing. Wonder if yours is the same sort of thing. The sack has still not come away. Sending hugs. X

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in