Stillbirth due to placenta failing

(27 Posts)
shanine Wed 09-Oct-19 17:27:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
babysnowman Wed 09-Oct-19 17:35:08

I don't have any advice but sending you thanks xx

Teddybear45 Wed 09-Oct-19 17:41:19

That advice is incorrect. Every consultant I have seen (and I have seen many - NHS and private) has said quite clearly that if placental insufficiency has caused a stillbirth once then it could happen again. There are treatments available depending on the cause. Have you been tested for or offered Tests for thyroid antibodies / clotting disorders / autoimmune disease / blood pressure monitoring? If not then please raise hell until you get them.

Teddybear45 Wed 09-Oct-19 17:42:45

For unexplained insufficiency sometimes aspirin / blood thinners / steroids are offered from early pregnancy. don’t let them discount you from the treatment options just because of your age!

shanine Wed 09-Oct-19 17:55:05

shanine Wed 09-Oct-19 17:55:50

ItStartedWithAKiss241 Wed 09-Oct-19 17:59:21

Hello. I haven’t had a still birth but I had this with DC1 and he was induced prematurely to avoid any problems, DC2 no problems and 9lb (lol) and happened again with DC3 but close monitoring and induction meant he was okay too x

Teddybear45 Wed 09-Oct-19 18:02:14

Good that they tested you - make sure the MW follows up. Age is a risk factor of PI. A lot of trusts treat Women over 35 for PI immediately even if they didn’t have a stillbirth or late miscarriage. As long as you have had the tests and are going to get treated that’s the main thing. You also need extra growth scans and should also be offered an induction or C-Section at 36-38 weeks.

shanine Wed 09-Oct-19 18:04:11

shanine Wed 09-Oct-19 18:06:43

Teddybear45 Wed 09-Oct-19 18:09:28

If you get pregnant again you can use the EPAU section of the maternity ward right from the start if your hospital has one - you can get a lot of early scans / prescriptions / consultant appointments there while you wait for your mw appointment.

shanine Wed 09-Oct-19 18:17:31

Bisquick Wed 09-Oct-19 18:28:37

I’m so sorry for your loss. I had a stillbirth at 37 weeks but it was unexplained. My DS was very tiny when he passed and seemed like IUGR but they couldn’t confirm it. In my next pregnancy I had baby aspirin from 12 weeks, loads of scans and a planned c section at 38 weeks. (But privately; I couldn’t go back to the NHS after the various errors they admitted to making the previous time and I had a lot of anxiety).
I do think the NHS high risk pathways do actually offer a high level of care and you will automatically be put on that in a subsequent pregnancy and be consultant led.. I hope that offers you some reassurance. Good luck and I wish you the very best of luck..flowers

shanine Wed 09-Oct-19 18:32:09

shanine Wed 09-Oct-19 18:36:22

Homebird8 Wed 09-Oct-19 18:38:10

I’m so sorry for your loss. You can tell us about your daughter if you would like to? What do you remember most about her? Do you want to share her name?

blackcat86 Wed 09-Oct-19 18:41:14

I'm so sorry for your experience. I had a succulent lobe of placenta picked up at the 20 week scan and was referred for a cautionary growth scan at 32weeks. Before that DD (first pregnancy) was growing well. At the 32 week scan she had dropped below the 10th percentile and they discussed prem delivery. Instead I had weekly scans (1 week blood flow scan, week 2 growth scan) but she remained IUGR and was delivered at 38 weeks. She was extremely unwell and gaunt, not helped by midwife negligence leaving her hypothermic and fighting for her life. Thankfully she survived but we were so close to losing her. The hospital have admitted liability and we are going through the legal process. It was harrowing and I'm grateful to have DD but terrified of future pregnancy. I would certainly pay for more private scans to pick up IURG earlier.

Teddybear45 Wed 09-Oct-19 18:45:50

Stories like yours makes me so angry. The high risk pathways should be offered to all first time mums - no woman should need to have a stillbirth to get extra care. I have conditions that can cause PI too but am considered higher risk only because of my age because the NHS only considers thyroid antibodies / rare clotting disorders (the NHS didn’t test for these my ivf clinic did, so if I had had no fertility problems chances are I wouldn’t have known until I lost a baby) as problems when you’ve already had a miscarriage. So I have needed to buy the care I need - it’s so unfair. But like I said next time they will give you better care so def don’t worry.

Talith Wed 09-Oct-19 18:46:35

I am sorry for the loss of your daughter OP. You can talk about it here even all the stuff that seems TMI in "real life"

You have age on your side and you're coping bloody brilliantly even though it's impossibly hard and so with some good advice and support things may well play out differently next time. I hope you do get sibling or siblings for your daughter x

It's absolutely natural to be desperate to try again and I can relate to that part though my loss was miscarriage not stillbirth, which of course must have been so much more devastating. Yes we take time to heal but we know what we want. flowers

DropZoneOne Wed 09-Oct-19 18:56:06

Your story echoes mine ... from 2007 sad It makes me sad and cross that preventable stillbirths are still happening. My trust also had community midwives so no continuity of care.

For my second pregnancy, i was on low dose aspirin for 1st tri, saw the same midwife every week (i was offered consultant care but opted for shared care), then fortnightly scans from 28 weeks.

DD was an emergency prem birth, placenta problems again, but due to above care plan i had the support i needed.

My biggest piece of advice when you do fall pregnant and reach 28 weeks - monitor your movements, ask your midwife for a "count your kicks" chart. ANY changes, get to the hospital for monitoring. And keep going, even if you had a scan the day before, or were monitored the previous week, or a tired midwife tuts at you because everything is fine. Changes in movement is the main indicator of a potential problem and this was how DD2 was saved. Be confident, be annoying, you know your body best.

Wishing you all the best xxx

shanine Wed 09-Oct-19 18:58:09

MonsterRehab23 Wed 09-Oct-19 19:10:35

I’m so sorry for your loss OP flowers. A relative of mine had a stillbirth due to placenta problems. She gave birth to a healthy baby boy last month. She did have placenta problems in her pregnancy but was very closely monitored. Take care OP

Homebird8 Wed 09-Oct-19 21:44:48

What a beautiful name you gave your daughter. Kendall-Ivy is so pretty and so unusual. She sounds so beautiful with her lovely hair and sweet eyebrows. I love your description of the clothes being too big. That is such a mum moment. None of us know for sure how big or little they are going to be until we see them and I’m sure that you chose an outfit for her that was just perfect. Take care of yourself.

mumofmany81 Mon 14-Oct-19 00:05:44

Around 1/2 of the women who suffer stillbirths don't ever get a reason given to them for it so it's good that you have done (I hope that you understand that how I mean it as obviously nothing about stillbirth is good). I remember desperately wanting a reason for my daughter dying when I was pregnant the next time as without a reason I felt so sure it would happen again.

Just because there were no risk factors for suffering placental insufficiency in your first pregnancy, the fact that you have suffered it before makes you at higher risk of it happening again and it's important that your midwife recognises that. The important thing is to act on the information and monitor you - growth scans and placental Doppler ultrasounds will be really important in the next pregnancy as well as you really watching for any changes in foetal movements. Your Trust is likely to suggest taking 75mg aspirin in the next pregnancy and depending on the results of your blood tests may recommend clexane or some other blood thinning injections.

The blood tests after stillbirth include the TORCH screen which is; toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex and HIV. Other tests include; syphillis, FBC (full blood count), LFT (liver function tests) and U&E (urea and electrolytes which is kidneys basically), HbA1c test (to check for diabetes and if you do have it then how well controlled it has been), thyroid function tests, CPR (infection markers in the blood), a clotting screen to see if your blood clots too easily which can cause clots to form in the placenta, blood cultures (to check for any specific bacterial infection in the blood), bile acid levels (to check for obstetric cholestasis - a liver condition that can occur during pregnancy). If you have a rhesus negative blood type they would have done a kleihauer test to check if yours and your baby's blood has mixed. They will have sent off swabs from the placenta to check for signs of an infection called chorioamnionitis. The placenta is then preserved and sent to histology for examination or if you chose a post-mortem then they would have sent the placenta with your baby. There are other tests that are indicated if there are certain circumstances around the birth but these are the usual ones. It does feel as though we drain you of blood with how many we take but it's so important to find a reason if we can because as I said it will make a difference to the care next time. I may have missed a couple out but I can't think of any others right now as fortunately stillbirth and the tests we carry out after aren't hugely common (especially because it's not always the same midwife who cares for women who've lost their babies) so I don't know the blood like the back of my hand as I would with other tests. I apologise therefore if I have missed any out.

The desperation for another baby is really common after a stillbirth - not to replace the baby you lost but something to fill that emptiness as well as the fact you wanted a baby and that is still the case. My daughter was due a year to the day from the scan where we found out her sister had died which was awful. I ended up being induced at 35 weeks so there is 11 months between them but I understand the desperation as even those few months before falling pregnant again seemed forever.

@teddybear45 the problem with offering high risk care to all first time mums (including low risk women) is that high risk care means care by obstetricians rather than midwives and because they only see the high risk stuff they can sometimes jump in with tons of interventions quicker than may be necessary. You can end up with one intervention that leads to another and another and before you know it you’ve been induced early, it’s failed because your body isn’t ready so you need the syntocinon drip, baby goes into distress leading to an emergency c-section, higher blood loss etc etc. Obviously that’s not always the case by any stretch but it is the risk that when low risk women are given high risk care they could end up with more interventions than needed. It’s far better for all women to see the same midwife throughout her pregnancy, that midwife then gets to know her and see if there are any changes that might be missed by seeing different midwives each time. It’s far better for those midwives to be on the ball and up to date as to when a situation means that mother needs referring for a growth scan or to see the Consultant for example. I worked in a case-loading team before where the same midwife saw the same women throughout. So if I booked a lady in at the beginning of her pregnancy then I would see her throughout. That allowed me to know my women inside out and recognise if they were worried about something or if I was concerned. They also felt more able to confide as they knew me. Then when they went into labour we would go to their house to do an early labour assessment to save them going to and from the hospital if they weren’t in active labour yet. Many of them then converted to home births as they liked having us there with them. After delivery we then did all the postnatal care. That to me is a far better way of working than having low risk women receiving high risk care.

@DropZoneOne - totally agree with your post. It’s important to report any change in movements including changes where baby might be extremely active and is normally quiet at that time of day. No midwife should ever make women feel like they are being a nuisance for attending the unit for reduced movements and even less so if they have had a previous stillbirth. I would much rather see the same woman 20 or 30 times and do a CTG to reassure her (or on the flip side pick up babies that aren't actually happy) than to ever have to find out a baby died because the mother had been made to feel as though she shouldn’t keep calling. CTGs can indicate if a baby is in distress and also reassure us that the baby is happy but they are only a snapshot of that exact moment. That same baby could be distressed later that day or the next day and the only way that babies can really show us that is with reduced movements which is them conserving their energy and blood flow to the heart and brain. Regular growth scans and placental Dopplar scans are also important and I would always want the chance to refer a mother for that scan rather than her sitting at home feeling like she can’t "inconvenience" us.

Your daughter sounds beautiful. The pride in her and yourself is an odd feeling isn’t it? Although I was devastated after the scan that showed she had died, I still looked forward to delivering her and seeing what she looked like. After she was born, I was so proud and happy to see this beautiful baby we had made - just looking at her perfect little fingers and toes and the peaceful look on her face (until I was rushed to theatre with excessive bleeding from retained placenta). I totally know what you mean as well about the pain - you know that it would be the most painful thing a parent can go through but 1) you never imagine it would happen to you and 2) I didn't realise until I lost her that you can feel emotional pain as an actual physical pain. I actually felt as though my heart was breaking and the pain in my chest was overwhelming. A few times I had to leave the house so my kids wouldn’t hear, walk to the end of the garden and scream as loud as I could just to try to relieve the pressure in my chest. I can only promise you that it does get easier - you never ever forget them and there will still be hard days but it does get better. You’ll get more days that are good than bad, more times when you can remember her cute little nose or her lovely hair and smile rather than cry. The way I explained it when I was asked by one of the hugely insensitive people (of many) that I encountered after losing her why I wasn't over it yet. The only way I can explain it is that I will never get over it - my baby is gone and how can you get back to normal without her? I just tried to explain that it was like I was on a road travelling one way and an awful accident spun me into another direction. I can never go back to before that because time doesn't work that way so I have to keep heading forward on this different road. It's not that one I expected or knew before so I will never "get over it" or be the person I was before but I will become a "new normal" where I am heading down a different road. I'm not sure if that makes sense - I think it does when I say it out loud but written at this time of night after a long day I am not so sure if it does or not :-(.

I am so sorry for your loss and even more sorry for the fact that there was a chance for this to have been prevented as I can’t imagine how hard that is to cope with. I really hope you are able to fall pregnant again soon and will be able to hold your rainbow baby in your arms. The next pregnancy is not easy so I won't lie and say it is but when you hold that new baby in your arms it will be so worth it.

shanine Mon 14-Oct-19 15:13:51

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in