Talk

Advanced search

Miscarriage Question

(4 Posts)
kidsareok Sun 21-Jul-19 16:15:58

Hi everyone! So, unfortunately, after some light bleeding and spotting, I had a miscarriage earlier this week 🙁. We thought we were 12 weeks and were getting ready for our first scan but an emergency trip to hospital showed the baby had stopped growing at 6 weeks. The miscarriage happened pretty soon after we found out and it's was HORRIFIC! I don't understand why nobody talks about these things - it was so physically painful and terrifying. Anyway, I'm going on holiday tomorrow and I'm so scared about getting an infection or developing complications. It will be 8 days since the miscarriage and everything seems normal so far with healing and minimal blood/cramps etc - does anyone have any advice about whether they think I'm past the infection stage yet? Or whether I still need to be vigilant? Also - a huge hug for anyone who has been through this before. I am shocked at how bad it was and feel like it was so much worse than I expected. X

OP’s posts: |
MrsMGE Sun 21-Jul-19 16:29:23

Sorry for your loss OP flowers Mine was unexpectedly horrific too if it's of any help, you're not alone xxx

Re infection, you're at risk for as long as you're bleeding & your cervix is open. Definitely avoid sex, tampons, change your pads as much as you can and I'd be very careful with any kind of swimming, especially pools or hot tubs, not a good idea now. Have you had any signs of an infection? Did the hospital give you antibiotics as a precaution and did you take them? If not, might be worth checking with your GP and explaining you're going away & whether you still need a dose maybe to take with you just in case. Xxx

Luckystar1 Sun 21-Jul-19 16:39:06

I have had 2 miscarriages my first was my first pregnancy and like you I had a missed miscarriage at 11 weeks ( my second miscarriage was my 4th pregnancy at 7 weeks).

Both times I avoided using tampons until my first period, but, again like you, I went on holiday around 2 weeks after my miscarriage and did use the swimming pool. I had stopped bleeding by then.

My second miscarriage I started swimming again after 2 weeks as well, as I had to go back to swimming lessons with my youngest child.

Thankfully I didn’t have an infection either time (in fact it didn’t even occur to me the second time, as I really had to get on with things for my other children).

I would exercise caution but you know your body.

My recovery from the miscarriages was straightforward but by god was I completely traumatised by the first one as I had seen a heartbeat at an early scan.

I feel for you, it’s so, so hard. And I wish you the best with recovery and future TTC. flowers

kidsareok Sun 21-Jul-19 16:44:08

Thank you! I was so shocked by how bad it was too - I had contractions and severe cramps etc. The pain was awful, I guess it's different for everyone but it certainly wasn't the 'heavy period with slight cramps' I was expecting!

Thank you - I am going to avoid baths and the pool/spa (which is annoying as it's going to be hot!) and I've been super vigilant with changing my pad etc. I don't seem to have any signs of infection so far but just slight bleeding every so often - sometimes I'll go a full day with nothing and the next day I'll get some bleeding again. Just seems to be the healing process! I haven't been to my GP but wish I had now with regards to some emergency antibiotics - I have full holiday health insurance etc so 🤞🏼. Ideally I would have liked another few weeks recovery before travelling but we are heading to a wedding so no can do! It's such a worrying time isn't it?

So sorry to hear about your miscarriages 🌟 hope you're all ok x

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in