Talk

Advanced search

TFMR six weeks ago and no period yet - really faint positive pregnancy tests though?

(9 Posts)
PastaSauceHoarder Thu 25-Apr-19 12:21:37

Hi all, I really need some help here please.

Six weeks ago I had to terminate a 12 week pregnancy that wasn't going to be compatible with life. I bled for a week then spotted for two weeks afterwards and we're been having unprotected sex since.

I've read online that it should take about 4-6 weeks after an induced miscarriage for the first period to return, however mine still hasn't despite having little cramps everyday for the past week and a half. I took a pregnancy test yesterday and today and they both have really really faint positive lines - like barely there unless you really look.

Could this STILL be left over hcg? I didn't realise you had to keep testing until you got a negative result after a loss, I did do a test on the 4th April and thought it was negative but then maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough and it was a faint positive like the most recent ones? And if it is leftover hcg then when on earth will my period eventually come?

If it was somehow a new pregnancy then I would've thought the lines would be much darker going by my dates (ovulation test reckoned I o'd on the 8th, which would put me at 17DPO now).

I was doing really well with all of this but now I just feel defeated. Has anybody been through anything similar?

OP’s posts: |
snowdroplet Fri 26-Apr-19 13:37:01

It is likely a new pregnancy, if you thought negative or almost negative on 4th unlikely to still be positive especially if you ovulated. I would say test again in a day or 2. Take care of yourself if you are pregnant again you are likely to go through alot of emotions. Fingers crossed for a happier outcome for you.

babi2019 Mon 29-Apr-19 23:00:34

How are you doing OP? Any update? flowers

PastaSauceHoarder Tue 30-Apr-19 10:51:16

Thanks you both for replying - definitely not a new pregnancy as I tested with a clearblue this morning and it gave me a Not Pregnant result. Each test I've done every morning for the past week has had a very weak positive but they weren't getting any darker. I must still have left over hcg in my body which is really disheartening, as I'm now seven weeks on from the induced miscarriage.

I just want to start TTC again, but without getting a period that seems impossible.

VenusStarr Tue 30-Apr-19 13:24:32

I'm sorry to hear that @PastaSauceHoarder. I recently miscarried at 9+4 and was given the go ahead to try again when we felt ready (rather than wait for a period). Have they said you need to wait for medical reasons?

I was still getting positive tests but think I ovulated with hcg still in my system, so it is possible. I've been to the GP today and there's blood on my urine indicating my period is on its way, I still had a faint positive test on 18th April but that means I ovulated around 16/17 April.

It's such a horrible experience, be kind to yourself flowers

PastaSauceHoarder Wed 01-May-19 11:21:11

Hi @VenusStarr, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent miscarriage. I used to think that when people said they'd had a miscarriage it was obviously sad, but now I really get it - I have a new respect and deeper sadness for those who have lost a pregnancy. I hope you're healing well. flowers

We are already TTC without a period making an appearance, but I think I already may have ovulated a few weeks ago. Can you ovulate again and simply skip the period? I don't know, I feel like I'm just waiting for my body to reset.

VenusStarr Thu 02-May-19 19:22:15

Thank you @PastaSauceHoarder. I'm up and down, it seems to hit me out of the blue. Getting my first period this week has affected me, feeling sad that I'm no longer pregnant. Do feel like my body is trying to reset, my period is much heavier than usual so hoping that's a good sign.

We started dtd once the bleeding stopped, was hoping we'd catch straight away. I don't know if you will ovulate then not have a period, have you tested? Did you get a negative test? Hope you're OK x

PastaSauceHoarder Thu 02-May-19 21:32:52

I know what you mean @VenusStarr, most days I'm absolutely fine and it barely flickers across my mind - yesterday both DH and I were feeling very down and battered though.

Funnily enough yesterday and today I got positive ovulation tests, and back before I fell pregnant I'd always get them two days in a row. My DH rang the midwife that was 'in charge' of us today and she said its most likely that I'm ovulating now, and you can actually ovulate each month even if theres no period. So I'm hoping this is real.

She also apparently said that the first period after a miscarriage is a lot heavier than usual so that would make sense for you - I hope its not too bad to deal with though. flowers How many weeks after your loss did your period return?

VenusStarr Thu 02-May-19 21:42:59

That's a good sign about the positive opks @PastaSauceHoarder. Hope it's real too. Interesting to hear about ovulating and not getting a period.

My period was just under 4 weeks from the day I miscarried. My cycles are only 25 days and it was 27 days from the day everything passed. I'm pleased my cycle seems to be returning to normal quiye quickly. Hope the heavier bleed is also a good sign of my body healing. I'm OK now but on Tuesday I woke up and felt really unwell, saw the GP and my blood pressure was really high and was feeling dizzy, but no bleeding. He said that the first couple of periods can knock you about a bit. Glad that's passed now. Hopefully will only have this one and we get a bfp soon

Fingers crossed for you smile x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in