Talk

Advanced search

EPRC tomorrow, Recurrent Miscarriage Clinic a month or two after. What can I expect?

(16 Posts)
plummymummy Tue 10-Jul-07 16:53:11

Title speaks for itself. First EPRC so don't know what to expect. Also wondered what tests they will do when I am seen at the RMC. It has been suggested to me on this site that I should ask them to retain some cells ror analysis. Has anyone else had this done?

lissie Tue 10-Jul-07 19:05:23

oh plummy, i am so so sorry. no exoerience of ERPC but at the clinic you will be referred for several blood tests. iirc days 2, 8 and 21, chromosone tests, infection tests, your dh will have to give samples and you may be offered scans.

i dont know what to say. life is shit and its just so unfair. my email is on my profile f you want a chat. thinking of you.

kensgirl Tue 10-Jul-07 19:28:19

oh, Plummy...so sorry .

My experience of ERPC was Ok,all things considered. I went in at about 10.30am , was allocated a side oom so dh could stay with me. Then, I was given some pessaries to soften the cervix, and met tha anaethetist and surgeon beforehand. I was in theatre for about 1 hr I think, and was able to go home by about 7pm, after I had eaten, had a drink and passed water. After, I bled quite hevily for about 2 ays, and then in total for about 8 or 9 days. My periods retuned 25 days later, and the first one was almost normal, a bit heavier maybe. Since then, my cycle is short (but it was anyway) at about 25 days, and sometimes more painful. The ERPC was in December. For me, the worst part was emotional,knowing why I was having it done, as you would expect - but not too bad physically. The nurses and surgeon were lovely,very kind and reassuring.

I havn't any experiece of rmc, try not to worry about that bit yet.

I hope this makes you feel a bit better, take care, honey. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow x

orangecat Tue 10-Jul-07 19:58:24

I've had 2 x ERPCs. While not most pleasant of things, they were both ok. Op only takes about 40 mins, and didn't have to stay overnight for either, didn't need to take painkillers and didn't have too much bleeding. First was at 8 weeks, and was back to normal really quickly. Second was after 12 wk scan - heartbreaking, and took 3 months for periods to get back to normal. I had total of 3 m/cs but never got referred to RMC, so can't offer advice here. Can offer hope, though - am now 6 months pregnant with my second

plummymummy Tue 10-Jul-07 20:29:29

Thanks for your messages. They are encouraging. It must have been awful to find out after your 12 week scan Mine was due next week and I am glad I found out now especially as it fell on the day before dh's birthday.

kensgirl Tue 10-Jul-07 20:32:38

The timing is similar to me, Plummy. I had the erpc when I was 11+4.

cece Tue 10-Jul-07 20:36:18

Physically the ERPC is Ok ish. I went down to theatre about 9.30 and left the hospital at 11.30. Home again by 12.00

I had no bleeding at all afterwards. AF took 5 weeks to come back and was pretty heavy the first time afterwards.

teenagersagain Tue 10-Jul-07 21:41:39

Oh No Plummy, I am so, so very upset to hear what has happened to you today, you were so lovely to me after I left the jan thread for the same reasons & this is the first time I have been on mumsnet in a bit as I have had a tough time lately.... so I am thinking of you, tomorrow especially, & think I know a bit of how you are feeling.

My ERPC was not as bad as I expected, much the same as kensgirl describes, the staff who dealt with me were very supportive & helpfull, 2 had been through the same thing themselves, which in my experience makes for the best empathy & understanding! The actual procedure was over very quickly, I had a light general anasthetic & you are usually only under for ten to fifteen minutes,so I was told & I looked at the clock to double check when I came to, like that mattered!?!
It's odd how you focus on the little things, but I would recommend taking a book, as there is a bit of waiting around afterwards, before they let you go home...

I would say though, to rest a lot in the days afterwards as I didn't take that fully on board, & I had to phone the ward as I started to bleed again, so ddp took week off & I had forced bedrest which did the trick physically.

I believe the nurse dealing with me asked for my consent to retain my baby for analysis to help their understanding of miscarriage, & I could ask at a later date about their conclusions. I haven't as yet, as after reading Miscarriage by Lesley Regan I realise it's probably my age ( 42!! ) & it's only been 2 weeks & 4 days...However, everywhere is different, but do ask about it if they don't mention it. Sorry if this is tmi, but it does help to hear from other women stories, as you know.

I'm sure tomorrow will go smoothly, & you will be okay & I hope to catch up with you again soon, Lots of hugs to you & yours...

plummymummy Wed 11-Jul-07 10:18:15

Thank you teenagers for your kind post. Sorry to hear you are feeling down still, but not surprised after what you have been through. How are your family doing? An emotional rollercoaster Everytime someone on the thread had bad news I put myself in their shoes.....and here I am now literally wearing them. Glad you are back on the site though - I believe it really helps to talk to people going through the same thing - or sometimes to chat about something completely different as a distraction. Thanks for the info about the ERPC - the replies I've had have been really reassuring. I've had irrational thoughts about not waking up and never seeing dh and ds again Ds can sense something is up. He knows my mum is collecting him from nursery today as I will be at the hospital with dh and he was tearful this morning when he got up. He said "You're coming back aren't you?" I got quite choked

lissie Thu 12-Jul-07 12:58:31

its probably a silly question, but how are you plummy?

plummymummy Thu 12-Jul-07 18:12:33

Hi Lissie - no sillier than me asking you the same question! So how are you? Well, the op went well. Had to take painkillers last night but none today and hardly any bleeding today. So fine on that front. Emotionally it's going to be a bit longer. I was worried about whether I'd made the right decision having the ERPC but now I am sure of it - it would've killed me to have another long, drawn out m/c and I think it takes it's toll physically also. How are you coping?

lissie Thu 12-Jul-07 19:32:39

up & down, going back on my ads this mc has hit me harder than i thought.

plummymummy Fri 13-Jul-07 07:57:30

What ads are you on? Do you get any side effects?

plummymummy Fri 13-Jul-07 07:58:45

I am up and down a lot too. Sometimes I can even laugh at something said/ tv etc, then other times I feel so shit.

lissie Fri 13-Jul-07 14:02:42

sertraline, they're ok, i get migraines tho. wish i could say something to you to help but im here if you want to rant. x

plummymummy Fri 13-Jul-07 18:36:39

Went out today for the first time and there were babies everywhere. How inconsiderate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now