Talk

Advanced search

Medical Management? Advise please!

(13 Posts)
Rainbow714 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:17:58

Im looking for some advice or reassurence about Medical Management, its looking like that might have to be an option for me to induce a miscarriage. I was hoping things would of started naturally after been told the sac hadnt changed in a week this was 6 days ago now and im not sure i can keep waiting for things to happen naturally. X

Rainbow714 Sun 12-Aug-18 16:53:51

Phoned the hospital and im booked in for Wednesday. Anybody ever been through this? X

rdm10 Sun 12-Aug-18 22:23:07

I had medical management last Monday after finding out on the Thursday at 11 week scan there was no hb. I opted for medical as I had a mc at 10 wks in Feb but baby had died at 7 wks so didn’t want to have to wait for it to happen naturally this time.
I got to the hospital for 9am and had a pessery put in. Nothing really happened for a few hours. After 4 hours I had another tablet and then things really started. It was like an incredibly heavy period but by the ‘end’ I had to basically just sit on the toilet as there was quite a lot of blood. The pain was very intense towards the end but once everything had passed it was just like period pain for a few days.
Is someone going with you? I wasn’t allowed to move for the first hour to allow the pessery to work and I wasn’t allowed off the ward so it was handing having DH there to get things for me- and for support of course.

Rainbow714 Mon 13-Aug-18 07:11:53

Thank you for the reply and im so sorry for your loss what an awful time we are having. Yes thankfully my husband is coming with me and has been a great support. How long did you bleed for? Im dreading it, i suffered a MC before but it all happened naturally and seemed to be over so quickly. I feel like ive been waiting forever for this to happen. It hasnt been right from the start xx

DaringtoDream Tue 14-Aug-18 10:37:56

So sorry for your loss. I’ve had 3 miscarriages over the last 18 months. The medical management really was a lot easier than letting it happen naturally. I was in for half a day. Had the procedure under general anaesthetic. The only painful bit was the cannula in the hand for the drip. Everyone was really nice. I was allowed to go home with husband after they’d seen me eat something and I’d been to the toilet. There was a lot of blood straight after the op so I’d recommend the overnight pads. I then bled for 2 weeks but it got a little better each day. One thing I wasn’t prepared for was when the doctors came to discuss what I would like to do with ‘the pregnancy tissue’ and told me about a memorial they held monthly. I was not expecting this and it took me my surprise and upset me so just be prepared incase that happens. Everyone was lovely at the hospital though and I’m glad I opted for the medical management. I had scheduled the same procedure with my 3rd miscarriage but I ended up miscarrying naturally over the weekend and it was much more painful and messy than the medical management x

Rainbow714 Tue 14-Aug-18 12:02:48

Thank you for your reply @DaringtoDream and im so sorry for your losses and i hope you are okay. Thank you for a postive responce as i had no idea what to expect, did you have the tablets or a operation?
fingers crossed it goes as smoothly as possible id rather be at home as quick as i can. Xx

DaringtoDream Tue 14-Aug-18 13:38:06

I had the operation under general anaesthetic. You can have it under local but I really didn’t want to be awake for it. The operation included having a pessary an hour before surgery for dilation but there was no pain or anything. I opted for surgery because the only other option I was given was a pill but they said the pill could take up to a week to trigger any bleeding and there had been no sign of natural miscarriage 4 weeks after baby had stopped growing/heartbeat had stopped so I wanted to go for the immediate removal option. I was off work for a week after the op as they say not to drive for 48 hours after general anaesthetic plus I was an emotional wreck. X

Rainbow714 Tue 14-Aug-18 14:37:52

Thank you for comment, im having the tablets they said it should istart within the day. Im hoping anyways.

DaringtoDream Tue 14-Aug-18 14:44:54

I’m sure it will all go smoothly. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Glad you’ve got hubby for support x

Rainbow714 Tue 14-Aug-18 15:58:52

Thank you xx

keebo Tue 14-Aug-18 18:21:24

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I had a medical miscarriage (tablets) in April after 4 weeks of scans to see if the pregnancy was viable. I had the tablets inserted in the hospital (they have to be just below your cervix) and then went home. It took about 4 hours to start. They essentially give you contractions so it's not comfortable but I didn't have any shooting pains or anything. There wasn't nearly as much blood as they'd said there could be - I was told I'd be filling a pad every 45mins but I only needed to change the pad once during the night. The next day, I was tired and emotional but didn't have any physical hurt. The bleeding was then like a period for about 2 more weeks and I went back to work after a couple of days. For me, it was much better than waiting to have it naturally, after 4 weeks of uncertainty I just wanted it to be over. I hope yours will be as painless as possible with someone there to look after you before, during and afterwards.

Rainbow714 Tue 14-Aug-18 19:35:50

Hi @keebo thank you for the reply and im sorry for your loss. I hope your okay, thank you for the info about what happens im nervous and feel sick just thinking about it. Ive been told from the EPU that i will have tablets that dissolve under my tongue then it should start anytime after that. Take care xx

rdm10 Tue 14-Aug-18 22:32:54

Sorry for my late reply. I’m still bleeding now 8 days later. Mostly just like a medium-light period but still with some small clots. It’s not painful now though.
I hope tomorrow goes as well as it can. It’s a horrible thing to have to go through but once tomorrow is over the (physical) pain shouldn’t be too bad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: