Talk

Advanced search

Early miscarriage - Do I need to see someone?

(12 Posts)
AnnaKissed Mon 05-Feb-18 13:40:10

So I'm around 5/6 weeks pregnant and just started bleeding - red blood so I think it's a miscarriage. I have miscarried before at around 8 weeks - I ended spending night in hospital to have pessaries etc. (Missed miscarriage I think? - There was no heartbeat on a scan and hcg levels not rising). This wasn't in the U.K. though.

Now I'm in the U.K. and this feels so different, I only did the pregnancy test last week so haven't even registered with midwife or anything. Do I need to see someone or just let it happen like a late period? Is this what they call a chemical pregnancy?

Thanks for any advice!

Llondbol Mon 05-Feb-18 14:14:47

Hi lovely - I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you xx From what I've read on Miscarriage Association's website, you only need to go into A&E if the bleeding is heavy (e.g 2 pads an hour) or the pain is unbearable. Hope you've got someone around who can look after you x

PassTheAfterEights Mon 05-Feb-18 14:32:50

What Llondbol said - had the same a few weeks ago and handled at home - but my local EPU were lovely and helpful on the phone, gave me the same advice re two pads an hour and recommended pain relief / hot bath if required (had one, wasn't messy, helped things along a bit and loved it - really comforting, as was large wine). So basically yes it was like a late and heavy-ish period, but over in three days for me. They said to do a HPT two weeks later and call back if it was positive otherwise crack on with TTC when ready.

This pretty much sums up CP / early MC - a few days post missed period it would be impossible to tell without having had a scan wehavekids.com/having-baby/When-an-Early-Miscarriage-Is-Considered-a-Chemical-Pregnancy

Sorry for your loss & hope it's over soon for you x

AnnaKissed Tue 06-Feb-18 12:43:29

Thanks for the advice. Now I'm not bleeding anymore, so what the heck is going on? Seeing my GP on Friday so hopefully she can help me then.

Llondbol Tue 06-Feb-18 13:04:17

Hey fingers crossed it's just a little blessing and the baby is absolutely fine - because it can happen! Let us know what the doctor says x

Llondbol Tue 06-Feb-18 13:04:41

*bleeding, not blessing - but I suppose it would be a blessing!

DragonBone Tue 06-Feb-18 13:09:39

Don't assume it's an early mc
I bled incredibly heavily around 6 weeks (soaking pads etc and sat on the loo with blood literally pouring out - horrendous pain) saw my gp who booked an early scan and incredibly wee fluttering heart was seen and all was well x

AnnaKissed Tue 06-Feb-18 13:42:13

Oh my goodness it's such an emotional rollercoaster...! And reading stuff online just adds to the confusion. Are blood hcg levels not tested so much in the UK? I had my last miscarriage and baby abroad where I used to go the hospital for blood tests every 48 days for about a week!

Llondbol Tue 06-Feb-18 14:21:18

It doesn't help does it 🙈

When I went to the EPU I asked about blood tests and they said they didn't usually do them because what they saw on the scan was the most important thing - because you can't argue with the scan, whatever symptoms you're having or your hormone levels are like.

Good luck chick, fingers crossed it's just a little bleeding and a lovely healthy baby x

AnnaKissed Fri 09-Feb-18 17:31:37

Update in case anyone has a similar situation. The bleeding stopped. I saw a GP today who tried to book me in for a scan at the Early Pregnancy Unit, but she can't do that till I'm 7 weeks (on Monday). If it don't have any more I'm to test again next week and see. But it could be a viable pregnancy... 😁

HidCat Fri 09-Feb-18 18:08:31

I hope your scan goes well on Monday. I'll have had 6 blood tests in 2 weeks to monitor hcg levels after scan showed that my baby didn't make it (in Wales). It all depends on your individual circumstances and the policy of the EPU.

fidgetsmumx Sat 10-Feb-18 09:20:41

It’s a good idea to go to EPU, I have every time as if it is a loss then they can check you’ve passed everything and obviously prevent infections.
Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now