Talk

Advanced search

D and C

(15 Posts)
Disneyrules Sat 27-Jan-18 17:03:39

Hi ladies, sorry that you're here. Wouldn't wish the emotional and physical pain of a miscarriage on my worst enemy. I'll try keeping it brief. I experienced my 2nd mc at 10 weeks and have now been bleeding for 7 and a half weeks. After tooing and frooing from a and e and the GP after I started getting excruciating pains they finally scanned me (after having to really push for it) to find I have an infection and retained tissue. I'm going in for a d and c first thing next week. I'm really scared....What should I expect, how long do you normally bleed after? Any advice and kinds words would be appreciated xxx

PanannyPanoo Sat 27-Jan-18 17:13:06

Hello. so sorry you are going through this. I had a d +e at 16 weeks. I felt weak and tired for a few days and bled a little but nothing like the 10 weeks I bled after a natural 13 or 10 week m/c.
I had an infection after my daughter was born and once that was cleared I felt so much better. I think you are likely to feel much much better by this time next week. Both physically and psychologically. You are in limbo at the moment so will be able to look forward again
I am so sorry for you losses. Such an all consuming horrible place to be.
The procedure itself is not too arduous. You may be in the same waiting room as mums going for scans though. Just to warn you. I found that an emotional blow I wasnt expecting.
sending not kind thoughts and best wishes. hope life is looking much brighter for you very soon.

Disneyrules Sat 27-Jan-18 17:18:45

Thank you so much for the reply x I'm sorry to hear you've gone through this too...awful is an understatement. I'm glad to hear that after a week I'll potentially start feeling myself again xxx

dulwichdays Sun 28-Jan-18 07:23:33

Hi, I am so sorry for your loss. I had my 12week scan last Monday and found out that we had suffered a silent miscarriage. I opted for a D&C because I couldn't face having to miscarry at home and I honestly believe it was the right decision for me.
I couldn't fault the team at my local NHS - they were all so sympathetic and caring. I was admitted as a day case and my husband was allowed to stay with me the whole time. They found us a private room and made sure that we had everything we needed. The procedure itself was relatively simple - I was down to surgery and back in my room within an hour and was home later that afternoon. I was lucky not to have much post-op pain - managed easily with paracetamol and ibuprofen. Bleed initially for about 24 hours and now seem to be having a more normal period (although a little on the heavy side).
Psychologically I have found it easier since the procedure - because as mentioned above you're not in limbo anymore. Although that doesn't mean that you don't have an unending list of questions. Take care of yourself xx

Welshcake77 Sun 28-Jan-18 10:43:56

I’m so sorry for your loss x I had a mmc three weeks ago and a D&C the next day. The procedure itself is quite quick and I didn’t have any pain afterwards, was just very tired and worn out from the GA and also emotionally. I bled for a week after but it was quite light. I’m sure you’ll feel lots better very soon aftwards though, it sounds like you’ve had a very tough time of it. I hope it all goes well, will be thinking of you xx

UnicornsandRainbows1 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:05:30

@Disneyrules Hi, Disney, so sorry you're going through this! Thought I'd pop in and share my side too.

So I've had two D&Cs (sadly they're my only pregnancies). The 1st one I had the surgery in July (19th) and it was pretty quick. Luckily I was the 2nd person to go in that day which I think helped as I didn't have to wait too long and over think things.

I think the surgery takes around 20 minutes if that, and the first time around I was in a fair bit of pain afterwards (the sac was a bit bigger that time so might be why) the more I was awake so definitely grab some painkillers for when you're back home. They will give you some paracetamol during the op. which might help ease things off.

You might bleed lots afterwards and pass bits of tissue afterwards but it's different for everyone. That time I bleed for a few weeks and passed some clots during that time but I also had a lot of blood floating around anyway as the sac grew for a further 3 weeks, and then 3 weeks after that I found out about my mmc, so I was just a weird case as you can imagine.

With my second mmc in Nov. I had my op. in December and the recovery was so much better. The bleeding turned brown and was more like spotting after a day or two. It might have been that I knew what to except afterwards but even pain wise it was less which is always welcomed. I passed a tiiiny bit of tissue but absolutely nothing like previously.

I had a small (less than a mm) piece of remaining tissue which might have made things a bit slower, but I got AF around the 5-6 week mark so it sorted itself out and I've only just got my negative test (again, I'm the oddball), everyone is different.

Take it easy and look after yourself

Disneyrules Sun 28-Jan-18 13:36:51

Thank you ladies for getting back to me and putting my mind at rest. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this too xxx

Llondbol Thu 01-Feb-18 07:40:16

Hey @Disneyrules how did it all go? I've had a MMC with my first pregnancy at 9 weeks and D&C yesterday. If you haven't been in yet I just wanted to let you know it's nothing to be frightened of at all as I was feeling like you before I went in. I waited 3.5 hours before I went in, they found me a bed and my fiancé was allowed to stay with me the entire time. I went down at 3.30 and was back in the bed eating some food at 5pm! Today I feel tired/groggy from the anaesthetic; I'm a little sore with very light period pain and just a small amount of bleeding like the last day of your period. I was allowed to go home at 8.30 armed with plenty of different painkillers and two antibiotics to take this week to prevent infection. Stay strong because it'll be absolutely fine. And for me it was the best decision as I feel proper closure and am sad enough without bleeding heavily for weeks on end and having that daily reminder of what we've lost. Good luck sweetheart x

dulwichdays Thu 01-Feb-18 14:46:30

Hi all,
It’s now a week since my D&C. I initially had very little bleeding post-op, however on Sunday I had 12 hours of very heavy bleeding and clots. I was definitely anxious but felt relatively ok so didn’t call up the hospital for advice. Sure enough, it settled down and has basically stopped. I’m hoping that’s the end of the bleeding and my body can now start getting back to normal. I’m anxious to take the pregnancy test they recommended at 3 weeks, but hopefully it’ll come back negative and indicate that my body is healing. This was our first pregnancy and I’m anxious going forward. There are so many unanswerable questions that I have and sadly there are no guarantees. I went back to work today and that definitely helped to bring back some normality. I guess only time will really help in processing our loss and moving forwards with a positive mindset.
X

Hortonlovesahoo Fri 02-Feb-18 17:54:36

I had my second d&c today. I’ve just had a miscarriage at 10weeks. They’ve said to expect the following:

-24hrs: light cramping/discomfort
-up to a week: bleeding that will get less every day

After the procedure you’ll be given some painkillers and this will help with the initial discomfort.

Disneyrules Wed 07-Feb-18 15:03:21

I'm sorry I've only just seen this. I had the d and c last Monday. It was absolutely fine, and in a way it was the closure I needed. I am still bleeding lightly. It seems to stop and then it starts up again. It's mainly brown old blood that I'm passing now. Is this normal? I forgot to ask when I can expect a period. I'm a bit confused about my cycle as because I miscarried back at the beginning of December but have only just had the d and c do I still wait another 4 to 6 weeks. I guess it's just waiting to find out. Hope the other ladies who have recently had a d and c are holding up Okay? Xx

Welshcake77 Wed 07-Feb-18 15:51:54

My surgeon told me to get it checked out if the bleeding stopped and started or lasted longer than 10 days. So I think in your shoes I would probably try and see a doctor about that just to be sure. (Disclaimer - I’m not in the UK and I know advice can vary within the different NHS trusts let alone different countries so just want to point that out!)
RE cycles, it’s hard to say but I’ve just got my first AF yesterday, 33 days after the D&C. What took me by surprise is how sad it made me feel, like the final reminder I’m no longer pregnant. But also pleased it didn’t take too long and hope my cycles are regular again like before as we’d like to try again in a couple of months.
Hope everyone is doing ok x

Disneyrules Wed 07-Feb-18 23:36:59

I might give the gp a ring tomorrow as it's now coming up to 10 days. We got told it would be wise to wait 3 cycles before getting pregnant again. It feels like an eternity on all honest. I'm much like you. I really want my body to return to normality but I'm still a bit of an emotional wreck particularly considering that around this week I would have found out if baby was a boy or girl sad xx

Welshcake77 Thu 08-Feb-18 08:07:43

I’m so sorry Disneyrules there seem to be som many milestones that remind us of the loss x
Hope you can get some reassurance from the doctor today. It does seem like a long time to wait but it might be helpful to give yourself more time to get in the right frame of mind emotionally? I’m not sure; I think everyone is different and you have to do what feels right for you at that time. Take care x

Disneyrules Thu 08-Feb-18 08:47:06

I think it definatley will help me emotionally to wait a little bit as this was my second miscarriage and only waited 1 cycle after my first one. It was a shock in itself that I fell pregnant that quickly after trying for a year and a half. It's actually stopped completely today...typical. I hope you get your BFP soon xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now