Talk

Advanced search

Message to ex-colleague who lost her baby

(15 Posts)
HopeAndJoy16 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:11:41

Sorry I wasn't sure how to phrase the title. An ex colleague of mine had a term stillbirth earlier in the year. I sent her a card at the time but haven't really make any further contact as I had had my own baby a couple of months before and didn't want to cause her any pain or upset. It's coming up to Christmas and I just feel like I should send her a message saying that I'm thinking of her, her partner and their baby. I don't want her thinking people have forgotten about them, I think of them often and I imagine Christmas is going to be hard for them. Is this a good idea? What should I say? . Any advice appreciated

Lifeofpies Thu 07-Dec-17 12:40:23

Definitely a good idea, I’m sure they will appreciate you thinking of them and their baby. Maybe a card? What you’ve said in your message is good - you’re thinking of them? I’m sure you’ll get the tone right.

blue2014 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:59:13

That sounds lovely - just send that x

GU24Mum Thu 07-Dec-17 13:38:11

It's a lovely idea. I'm sure you're going to anyway, but I'd just sign it from you, rather than from you, OH and your baby.

Miami81 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:44:55

I agree with pp re popping message in a card. You have the sentiment exactly right. We lost our little girl this year and just got our first Christmas card this year and it doesn't mention her (or the situation) which makes me irrationally want to dump it in the bin.

gingerbreadmam Thu 07-Dec-17 16:49:00

Great idea. Christmas is very tough once you have suffered this kind of loss.

I lost my son two years ago when he was stillborn and I would really appreciate that.

Lifeofpies Thu 07-Dec-17 18:29:04

Sorry to derail, but Miami I remember you from the pg after miscarriage thread, I think? I am so terribly sorry to hear about your daughter.

Miami81 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:04:07

Hi @Lifeofpies yep that's me. We lost Eilidh at 27 weeks. Just utterly devastated. Hope everything is well with you.

Lifeofpies Thu 07-Dec-17 20:06:01

Oh Miami, how utterly awful. I am truly sorry (and of course for everyone else on the thread who has lost a child). I hope most people remember Elildh this Christmas. I’ll light a candle for her tonight.

HopeAndJoy16 Fri 08-Dec-17 18:20:41

I'm so sorry for your loss Miami, Eilidh is such a beautiful name flowers Thanks for all the advice x

user1485778793 Sat 09-Dec-17 20:58:45

I lost my baby at the end of August. I haven't been back to work yet. Not one colleague has contacted me. And I dislike them for it.

I think it's a lovely idea flowers there's not much worse than losing a baby and feeling like everyone has forgotten you

Miami81 Sat 09-Dec-17 22:00:28

User
I am so sorry for your loss. This world of baby loss is so lonely. People really struggle with it, but that's no excuse for no contact at all. Poor you. I got some lovely cards but possibly because there has been a lot of bereavement in my work of late (including the big boss whose grown up son died tragically) and think people are a little bit more engaged with it, if that makes sense at all.
Did you have a boy or girl? How is everyone else (friends & family) being? I hope you have some close support. All the best.

Ethelswith Sat 09-Dec-17 22:03:29

I think your instincts are spot on.

Write the card to the couple. Include a letter about their baby (using their name) and how much you think of them.

Ceebs85 Sat 09-Dec-17 22:34:27

I know everyones exerience is different but there was a lady on This Morning this week that said the worst thing about christmas cards is when they don't mention the child who has passed away. She said she wished it woulr just say something like 'and remembering ..........' then its acknowledging that they existed.

Sending a card is a lovely sentiment and I'm sure she'll appreciate it x

user1485778793 Sat 09-Dec-17 23:54:41

Miami81 thankyou, we had a boy, he was 2 1/2 months old when he died. We knew from 20 week scan he was very poorly.

I'm pregnant again smile 9 weeks.

I agree with the card writing the babies name, it is hurtful receiving cards and they aren't acknowledged

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now