Talk

Advanced search

Mmc - worried about when bleeding starts

(11 Posts)
Hobbes39 Wed 06-Dec-17 07:27:35

Hi - I just found out on Monday that we have sadly had a mmc - I should have been 7 weeks, looked like it was only 6 weeks with no foetal pole. Totally devastated as was a BFP after 3rd fresh round of IVF.
I am now waiting a week until next Monday when they will scan me again to finally confirm and then they will discuss options. They told me on Monday that if I wanted the drug or op that it could be done next week. I am keen to get it over with due to many reasons but not least cause it's xmas coming up and we are very lucky to have a 4 year old DS who is v excited about xmas and I don't want his xmas to be ruined by me miscarrying in the middle of it.
I am also terrified of the bleeding. I get heavy clotty periods anyway, I have had a chemical preg before where bleeding was even heavier and I also had an ectopic 2 years ago which self resolved and was awful, plus each time my ivf has failed before I have known as I have started heavy bleeding before test date that soaks through nighttime pads in and hour...
sorry for all the graphic details, but basically I am really worried about this happening naturally before I have chance to have op next week - how do people cope with the bleeding overnight? I have ruined bedsheets from my our failed cycles, and don't want to again. I just feel so stuck worrying and waiting for it to start. Thanks x

Lifeofpies Wed 06-Dec-17 12:33:35

Hi Hobbes, I am so terribly sorry, it’s so cruel. I have had two MMC. The first was similar to you, in that I had a two week wait. I opted for surgical management both times, which worked well for me. The first time I did start bleeding the day before the op, but it was light - fine with pads. If it had carried on obviously it would have got heavier etc. There is a nice thread here about practicalities of managing a miscarriage. If the hospital think you’ve had a full miscarriage they will scan you again before giving you medical or surgical management.

If you have any questions about surgical management feel free to ask. Xx

FutureFairyCrayon Wed 06-Dec-17 13:36:18

Hi Hobbes, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've had a few mmc, and have opted for surgical management each time (twice under local, once under general anaesthetic).

I was in much the same position as you this time last year, with a toddler looking forward to Christmas, so I opted for an MVA under local anaesthetic three days before Christmas as we'd been in limbo for three weeks by that point. I did start bleeding the day before my surgery was scheduled, but it wasn't too heavy, and they said to go in anyway. When they scanned, the sac had already passed, but there was still a lot of tissue left, which they removed. My post surgery bleeding has always been pretty light.

I hope you manage to avoid any bleeding beforehand, but the way I've always dealt with it was just to stick on old sheets and layer some old bath towels underneath, plus maternity pads.

Al82 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:34:17

I’m really sorry to hear you have had a MMc.
I found out the same on Friday just before I was 12 Weeks, my baby had stopped growing at 7 1/2 Weeks.
I decided to see what would happen naturally.

I started bleeding yesterday and ended up being admitted to hospital as there was just so much blood. I was really naive and was expecting a heavy period, instead the blood was literally pouring out of me.
I wish I had known quite how heavy it would have been, it was really horrendous! It has settled down loads today but I was really scared yesterday.

I’m not sure what I would do if I went through this again but maybe try ringing and get booked in for the procedure as I have heard it’s a lot easier than what I went through yesterday.
I was told to just phone anytime if I wanted tablets or the procedure and I could be booked in. That might be better than just waiting for something to happen.....

It’s a really rubbish thing to have to go through. I’m so so sorry for you x

Ktay Wed 06-Dec-17 16:42:40

Sorry for your bad news OP. When this happened to me I remember reading that things often start happening of their own accord at about the 12-week mark, and that’s what happened with me (having not progressed much past 5 weeks), so there’s a good chance you will be ok to wait until next week for the op.

Kej13 Wed 06-Dec-17 19:46:00

I'm so sorry for your loss sad I had an mmc at 12 weeks and it's just awful. I had medical management which wasn't successful so went for a d&c, in total bled for about 2 weeks, 2weeks later i got my period!

I hope you are doing okay and try to enjoy your Christmas with ds xxx

Hanim79 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:19:40

Hello Hobbes39, I am sorry for your loss and to you other ladies I am sorry for your loss too.
Sadly I had a MMC at 8 week after my first ivf attempt and am heartbroken. I decided to go for the procedure in hospital as I could not face seeing what would come out. The hospital were very kind and I feel for me that was definitely the best thing to do. I bled for a week a pain was managed with pain killers x

Hanim79 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:20:19

My procedure was 31/10 and I am still waiting for my period x

Hobbes39 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:16:43

Thank you everyone for your kind words, and sorry to all of you who have been through this. thanks
I have just this evening started spotting, so think this might be the start of it and am dreading it, but I guess I'm glad it's happening sooner rather than later. I have stocked up on maternity sanitary pads and painkillers and will have an old towel on my bed tonight. It's just all so grim and cruel isn't it? X

Summer1986 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:25:56

It is cruel OP and awful that we have to go through it.
I opted for medical management of my MMC which was between 9 and 11 weeks, my baby hadnt grown and there was just a sensational sac and foetal pole.

I went in for part one of my treatment on a Monday morning, had some bloods done and then some tablets to start things off. I was woken by bleeding on the weds morning, I've never bled like it. I was soaking through night pads in less than an hour and clots the size of ping pong balls were just dropping out of me. I was pretty sure I must have passed everything when I got to hospital so they scanned me again but the sac was still present so I had part two of the drugs which were pessary form. I continued to bleed for hours before passing the sac, I had contraction type pains before feeling the urge to push and it came out. Once the sack was gone the bleeding slowed right down to a normal period type bleed for about 4 or 5 more days.
My next period was also heavier than normal.

Summer1986 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:26:45

That should say gestational sac not sensational!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: