Talk

Advanced search

Super/hyper fertility - whats your experience?

(8 Posts)
RhubarbGinger Fri 17-Nov-17 11:15:03

Hi all,

I had three miscarriages when TTC #1 - #1 @ 5 weeks, #2 @ 11.5 weeks, #3 @ 5 weeks. All recurrent miscarriage tests came back normal but consultant said I was likely super fertile as fell pregnant first cycle every time. Super fertility is when you have a non-fussy womb that implants non-viable and viable embryos. DD then born in 2016 (again, pregnant first cycle). I felt much more philosophical about the miscarriages when she arrived - I just had to be patient, and I now wouldn't change the experience I had as if one of the other pgs had worked I wouldn't have DD. I can't imagine that world!

Now we are TTC #2. I'm worried, I really don't want to go through what we went through before. My period is a week late. I stopped doing pg tests after miscarriage #3 as I feel all it tells me is at that particular time I have HCG, it doesn't tell me I'm having a baby.

What I wonder is whether super/hyper fertility ever changes, if I was super fertile when TTC #1 will I always be, even after a successful pg? Can my body learn from the successful pg to implant viable embryos? This was our first cycle TTC #2 so I guess there is some evidence that I am still super fertile. I know I'm very lucky to fall pg so easily, others try for so long and struggle to get even this far. But I feel like I am a walking time bomb, just waiting for the bleeding.

I'd be interested to hear other's experiences of being super fertile, and whether it continued when trying for siblings?

JoJoSM2 Fri 17-Nov-17 18:17:01

I’m sorry for your losses. What the consultant said doesn’t make sense to me. It’s estimated that up to 30-50% of pregnancies end before 5 weeks. If people don’t test, they just think their period is a few days late. It’s possible for embryos to stop developing right after fertilisation but it’s also common for them to kind of attach to the uterine wall and then stop progressing. The uterus has no way of predicting it. If it’s good enough to attach and produce hCG than the uterus rightly goes with it.

I think it’s a good idea that you haven’t tested. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to predict if a pregnancy is likely to stick or when you might lose it. On the plus side, though, the odds are on your side- statistically things are more likely to work than not.

LisaSimpsonsbff Fri 17-Nov-17 19:35:27

JoJo - what the consultant suggested is a widely believed (but not yet fully proven - but there is more work being done on it) theory. In one test they put both normal and abnormal embryos on samples of uterine tissue from recurrent miscarriers and normal women and the recurrent miscarriers' wombs grew towards both, whereas the other women's uterine lining only did this for normal ones: www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19361432.

OP, it's also been suggested to me that I have this. I've had three miscarriages at 5, 5 and then 7 weeks. Weirdly the first one took seven months, but since then we've conceived every cycle but one that we've tried. I'm now five weeks pregnant again, and terrified obviously!

I went to the Coventry miscarriage clinic (run by Siobhan Quenby, mentioned in that article above). It was them who suggested I could have an unfussy womb, but they also said that none of these things are fixed. Your uterine lining is constantly changing, and obviously each pregnancy is a different embryo, so you can never say that the same thing will happen each time. I can completely understand why you're so scared, but I think try and cling onto the fact that you know it can work for you - your DD proves that - and there's no reason to assume that this one isn't one of those.

GreyCloudsToday Fri 17-Nov-17 19:51:04

Tentative congrats RhubarbGinger and huge congrats LisaSimpson!! I'm also 5 weeks pg after 3 mcs (only 2 consecutive so I haven't been to the RMC yet). Massive fingers crossed that this is the real thing for all of us. RhubarbGinger I can relate to feeling like a bomb going off. Not good!

From what I've read online Prof Quenby recently had a Tommy's trial of sitagliptin, a diabetes drug which aims to take an enzyme called DPP4 out of action. The idea being that this prevents stem cells getting to the endometrium. If this is the case, surely endometrial stem cells could be affected by other factors in the body?

Info here

Having an endometrial scratch is a possible treatment for "super-fertility", as it is thought to trigger the release of stem cells in the endometrium. So there are some ways to act on theory if it should come to that. If / when this pregnancy fails I will pursue that privately. It seems to cost around £150 in London at a fertility clinic.

Hoping it all goes really smoothly this time flowers

LisaSimpsonsbff Fri 17-Nov-17 19:54:48

Thanks! I had an endometrial scratch at Conventry, so can perhaps act as a (very anecdotal) guinea pig for this...

Dozer Fri 17-Nov-17 21:50:41

Think it's quite a new theory with limited evidence, so no one knows really. Totally understand the fear of further MCs. I found counselling helpful in managing my anxiety and depression about this.

RhubarbGinger Fri 17-Nov-17 23:31:43

Thank you everyone for your replies.

LisaSimpson it is really good to hear that Prof Quenby told you that things aren't fixed and the endometrium changes. I was hoping for that, so fingers crossed!

GreyClouds that is interesting research, thank you for sharing the link. Interestingly I took part in a trial after MC #3 that involved the consultant taking a sample of the lining of my womb, so basically I had a scratch. I fell pg with DD two months later. She had told me it can make it easier to fall pg but I hadn't thought that much about it because I was falling pg very easily. But I wonder if that did the trick?! Hmmm.

I really hope your pgs work out for you. Its so hard but it really helps to talk (very good point Dozer!) so thank you for sharing smile

LisaSimpsonsbff Sat 18-Nov-17 08:48:56

rhubarb - yes, that is exactly a scratch, and Coventry are currently finding it their single most effective treatment for recurrent miscarriage, they said. So, while I desperately hope this one works out for you - if not then you know there's a treatment that may have helped you before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now