Talk

Advanced search

Getting signed off work

(17 Posts)
almosthome Mon 26-Jun-17 12:57:50

Has anyone had trouble getting signed off after a loss? I've had a long and painful slow miscarriage and self certified til today. Ended up in A&E last night after a horrible day and saw the out of hours consultant who told me to take two weeks off. She didn't have the correct forms to sign me off so told me to call my GP, explain what happened and they'll provide the note. I've just done that and they won't sign me off without seeing me, won't let me have a telephone consultation and don't have any appointments for the next two weeks. What do I now? There's no way I can go to work this week, i'm flooding every time I move and I'm still in pain. Not to mention this has been a traumatic experience and I need some time out emotionally. But without being signed off it's going to go down as an unauthorised absence. My work know what's happened but with me already having had a week off at a critical time they're not overly sympathetic. I just want this to be over without all this added stress sad

wheredoesallthetimego Mon 26-Jun-17 13:01:05

A&E consultant should have had the forms - there is no excuse and it is her you should be angry with. If you don't need any other input from your GP then she's basically just asking you to waste an appt for the sick note

Having said that - as a GP I'd always try and fit someone in who has just had a miscarriage, even if just for a quick chat so I think your surgery is being a bit unfeeling too. But to get the certificate now I would complain to PALS.

watchingitallagain Mon 26-Jun-17 13:03:28

That's terrible. I'm sorry you've been treated in such an awful way.

I'd be calling the GP back and asking them exactly what they expect you to do. I was given a sick note without being seen in a very similar situation. Could it be a case of an overly zealous receptionist?

If not, is there another surgery you could approach?

fempsych Mon 26-Jun-17 13:08:25

Same situation- also given a sick note without being seen - they also offered to extend it. Ask for urgent tel call from duty doctor?

flumpybear Mon 26-Jun-17 13:11:17

Sorry for your loss - please follow through with the GP above said - you can't go to work, you need to be at home to recover flowers

littlepooch Mon 26-Jun-17 13:24:39

I am so sorry for your loss.

Call your GP back and ask to speak to a GP. When I had my first MC, A&E refused to give me s sick note and said it wasn't something they could do. My DH called our GP from the hospital, explained what had happened and the GP came on the phone to him and then me, spoke to me and signed me off with no questions. I cannot believe your GP can't do similar. I'm really cross on your behalf, this is the last thing you should be worrying about. Mine also told me to ring back if I needed extended and didn't feel up to going in to see the GP.

Macauley Mon 26-Jun-17 13:28:58

I got a sick note without being seen. I think I explained the situation to the receptionist and they spoke to the doctor for me. I then got to pick up the line from reception. I actually think I was on the verge of tears at this point due to not being able to see the gp.
My doctor had seen me though as I needed an emergency home visit due to some complications. But I imagine the hospital have written to your gp to outline the situation so it shouldn't come out the blue to them you need a sick line.
You definitely can't go to work and need to take care of yourself. flowers sorry for your loss, you don't need this extra stress.

Nostrilflare Mon 26-Jun-17 13:32:45

I also was able to get a sick note without being seen, maybe try and speak to another receptionist

Take care flowers

almosthome Mon 26-Jun-17 13:36:22

Thanks all, my DH has called them back and had a go but hasn't changed anything. They said they'll call me if they get a cancellation but I doubt they'd bother. I might try again later on and see if I get a different receptionist. They are spectacularly useless.

Macauley Mon 26-Jun-17 16:48:59

Ask to speak to the practice manager and see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure who you complain to about gp practices but the way you are being treated is awful.

Loopytiles Mon 26-Jun-17 16:51:01

Very sorry for your loss and that you are still going through the physical stuff.
MIf you're Ok with sharing information with your employer I think many employers would allow you to self certify in the circumstances.

Loopytiles Mon 26-Jun-17 16:51:21

And yes, I would complain to both the hospital and practice.

wheredoesallthetimego Mon 26-Jun-17 17:22:30

Ring up PALS and kick up a huge stink. This is 100% the fault of the hospital. The current hospital contract mandates them to give sick notes if needed. I'll try and find you a link to it.

wheredoesallthetimego Mon 26-Jun-17 17:27:58

Here you go. Email this to PALS, drawing their attention to point one and tell them that you expect a certificate by lunchtime tomorrow or you will male a formal complaint

bma-mail.org.uk/t/JVX-4VZUM-1BJCJOU46E/cr.aspx

almosthome Mon 26-Jun-17 17:43:22

Thank you, will give it a go now

wheredoesallthetimego Mon 26-Jun-17 17:51:54

Good luck

and flowers

wheredoesallthetimego Mon 26-Jun-17 17:51:58

Good luck

and flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now