MMC - what next?(4 Posts)
Hi everyone, had an early scan yesterday at 10 weeks but the baby was only measuring 4 or 5. I'm sure on my dates so convinced this is a missed miscarriage. Back at the hospital on Tuesday for confirmation and next steps.
In the meantime I'm booked in for my screening blood test just before the second scan. Whilst I'm sure it's all over it hasn't been medically confirmed, so should I cancel this blood test or still go? I also have my date for what would have been the 12 week scan, do I cancel that or does the hospital?
I think we're going to try again when we're ready. Do you think it's best to continue with pregnancy vitamins with this in mind, or just switch to folic acid on its own? We weren't TTC for this pregnancy so I don't really know what you're 'supposed' to do. It's already quite hard emotionally to keep seeing the pregnancy vitamin box in the drawer so I'm inclined to throw them away.
I just don't know what to do with myself in the meantime really. I had a miscarriage a few years ago which I was totally unprepared for, so at least I know a little of what to expect this time but it was particularly gruesome both physically and emotionally so I'm dreading the next few weeks.
Thanks for reading, any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Hi, I'm really sorry you're going through this.
If you are sure of your dates, then I would cancel your bloods and twelve week scan now. If things change you can always get them rebooked. The hospital may offer to do it for you, but mine cocked it up and I found getting reminders quite upsetting after one of my mmcs.
With regards to the vitamins, there is no right or wrong. It won't do you any harm to keep taking them but, as they are expensive, I would just put them somewhere you don't have to see them all the time, and maybe just keep taking folic acid.
You might find you want to start ttcing again immediately, sometimes it's quite a strong urge to get pregnant again asap, or you might want to wait a few weeks/months but it's your choice completely (unless you are specifically advised to wait by the doctor).
I've only ever had mmcs so have always been 'prepared' for what was going to happen which, in hindsight, I'm grateful for. You will be offered the chance to have surgical management if you'd prefer (I've always opted for it as once I knew the heartbeat had gone it seemed easier to get the physical side over and done with, but I know that it's not for everyone). I've had surgical management with both local and general anaesthetic.
Again, I'm so sorry, the waiting is awfully hard, especially when you are 100% that your dates are right.
Thanks Ova, sorry to hear you've had losses too.
I think you're right on cancelling things myself, I had it in the back of my mind that they'd forget and I'd keep getting letters etc (got my tfl baby on board badge in the post today which was bad enough) so if I can take steps to minimise that myself I probably should. Will wait a few days whilst it all sinks in and then get it sorted.
I also think I'm leaning towards surgical management too, such a lot to take in since yesterday but knowing now that the baby didn't make it past five weeks I'd like to move on as quickly as possible, at least physically anyway.
I just hope now that my pregnancy symptoms start to drop off a bit more, it's an extra slap in the face feeling sick all the time for no gain. I kind of feel like now my mind knows my body will start to catch up?
Thanks again xx
I feel you on the baby on board badge, I have three lurking around in various pots in the house, I really must stash them somewhere more out of the way.
Sorry that you're still suffering symptoms, I'm quite lucky in that I don't get morning sickness, it must make it that much tougher. Good luck with it all, I hope you have better luck next time. x
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.